Sabrina's Amish White Bread recipe good for anything from pretzels to donuts:

2 cups hot water
1 duck egg (or 2 chicken eggs)
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 tsps salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups of flour

Let rise one hour, seperate into two loaves and let rise an additional 40 mins, brush on one whole egg across both loaves bake at 350 for 30 mins.

Or the twists you saw, take whole batch, make 3 long ribbons, braid together, brush on egg and bake at 350 for 40 mins

Or pretzels: make pretzels (about 12 big ones) dip in boiling water 1 min each side and bake 350 for 30 mins

Or bagels: make bagels and cook as above.

Or donuts: make donuts and drop into hot oil for approx. a minute in the deep fryer.

Or as pizza dough: makes 4 large deep crusts, add 1 tsp garlic, 1 tsp onion powder and 1 tbsp italian seasoning: rosemary/thyme/oregano/sage/basil.

Sparrow
11-15-2011, 01:30 AM
Yum.

Now I want cookies!!!

http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/f/f4/CookieMonster-Sitting.jpg

Stormfeather
11-18-2011, 03:50 AM
wow. . . just wow. . . this stuff is so yummy!!! Made some today! Im down to half a loaf left out fo the 2 loaves!

ravensgrove
11-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Told ya, no fail bread...every time.

izzyscout21
11-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Raven. I love this recipie. Here's what I just pulled out of the oven

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/Mobile%20Uploads/1128111526a.jpg

Evolver
11-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Nice job! I like how you did a cheese one.

izzyscout21
11-28-2011, 11:35 PM
thanks. I'm a sucker for cheese bread. this one has a vein of cheese running down the middle and the cheese on top.The other loaf is basil/ rosemary.I made these today. I did the exact same 2 last night, and they didn't last until midday today.

Sniper-T
11-29-2011, 12:14 AM
have you ever tried this recipe in a bread maker?

ravensgrove
11-29-2011, 04:34 AM
I would think you'd need to 1/2 it for a bread machine, or get a huge mess. Usually most bread machine recipes require maximum 2 tsps of yeast and this has a tbsp +. Izzy GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!

izzyscout21
11-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks!!

Bbeck
11-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Great easy recipe ok made a loaf twisted for THANKSGIVING and just for supper a few weeks ago.

The Stig
11-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Bbeck.....welcome aboard!

Glad to hear the recipe turned out well for you.

Damn....now I'm hungry for some warm bread.

Evolver
11-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Waving a howdy to Bbeck from the south.

izzyscout21
11-30-2011, 02:24 AM
I just made the pretzels..............

ravensgrove
11-30-2011, 05:58 PM
I made doughnuts yesterday and shot some strawberry jam in the center....yum.

Sniper-T
11-30-2011, 06:00 PM
^
I always wondered what would happen if I loaded a 12 Ga shell with jam...

lol

sounds yummy!

JustAPrepper
11-30-2011, 10:17 PM
I just bought my first bag of regular flour in almost three years. Needed a few tablespoons to make my Gramma's Macaroni and Cheese for Thanksgiving. I had to have the real stuff, the way she made it, and not use our home ground whole wheat for the roux.

Guess what I'll be making tomorrow?:p

ETA: Maybe in the Solar Oven! I need to check the weather first.

JustAPrepper
12-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I did it! Made Raven's bread in the Solar Oven today. Took 1 hour 15 minutes with the temp fluctuating between 250 and 350 (had a few little clouds passing over from time to time.) I used my remote thermometer and waited until it read 190*.

Can't go wrong with this recipe. I opted not to use the egg wash because I wanted a simple sandwich bread, if I had made a braid I would have used it, but I did brush the top with a little water. It's light and fluffy, almost as soft as Wonder Bread but the crumb is heavier so it actually held up to having a little butter spread over it without "gushing up" like Wonder does.

Thanks for sharing this easy-peasy and versatile recipe! I think I have enough flour leftover to make another batch and I've got some oil to use up so I'm planning on some doughnuts!

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/Julie-Girl/SOLAR%20OVEN%20COOKING/120111RAVENSBREAD3.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/Julie-Girl/SOLAR%20OVEN%20COOKING/120111RAVENSBREAD4.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/Julie-Girl/SOLAR%20OVEN%20COOKING/120111RAVENSBREAD5.jpg

Evolver
12-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Dang Tasty and thanks Raven!!!

ravensgrove
12-03-2011, 04:36 AM
Ya you betcha!

ladyhk13
12-03-2011, 04:49 AM
ya'll are killing me!!!!!!!!!! I need to decorate my Christmas tree and house, clean my house, wash my dogs bedding and get all their stinky out that they brought in...but I sure do want bread...anyone volunteering to come over and bake? I'll feed ya! LOL

Bbeck
12-10-2011, 09:21 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e72/igotachevyor2/2011-12-10_16-13-45_217.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmm

ladyhk13
12-11-2011, 04:15 AM
PLEASE!!!! I'll tell ya where I leave the spare key and when I get home it would be wonderful to smell fresh baked bread and slather butter and honey or raspberry jam all over it......anyone interested???

ravensgrove
12-11-2011, 06:15 AM
You have no idea how heart warming it is for me, right now...to see pictures of people making my bread all over the country :) I made more bread myself tonight and sent it and rigatoni with our son to a DECA dinner. He came home with a big smile and no bread saying "They all asked if my Mom was a baker". Why yes, yes I am...a butcher, a baker and a candlestick maker ;)

Stormfeather
12-11-2011, 10:37 AM
I did it! Made Raven's bread in the Solar Oven today. Took 1 hour 15 minutes with the temp fluctuating between 250 and 350 (had a few little clouds passing over from time to time.) I used my remote thermometer and waited until it read 190*.

Can't go wrong with this recipe. I opted not to use the egg wash because I wanted a simple sandwich bread, if I had made a braid I would have used it, but I did brush the top with a little water. It's light and fluffy, almost as soft as Wonder Bread but the crumb is heavier so it actually held up to having a little butter spread over it without "gushing up" like Wonder does.

Thanks for sharing this easy-peasy and versatile recipe! I think I have enough flour leftover to make another batch and I've got some oil to use up so I'm planning on some doughnuts!

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/Julie-Girl/SOLAR%20OVEN%20COOKING/120111RAVENSBREAD3.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/Julie-Girl/SOLAR%20OVEN%20COOKING/120111RAVENSBREAD4.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/Julie-Girl/SOLAR%20OVEN%20COOKING/120111RAVENSBREAD5.jpg

Ok, ,mine didnt come out like this, how did you do it? My loaves were alot more compact, did I not let them raise enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JustAPrepper
12-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Storm, first thing that comes to mind is if the yeast was fresh.

Aside from that, I'm not sure but I'll tell you how I did it.

There weren't any kneading instructions so I kind of split the difference. Some breads don't need a whole lot of kneading while others need the traditional ten minutes or so. I kneaded it for about 3-4 minutes, just until it was starting to come together and the dough was becoming smooth and elastic.

I rose my bread in a stainless steel bowl that I had run through some hot water to warm the bowl. Then I covered it with a plastic shower cap (I use this instead of a warm dish towel because it helps hold in some warmth and moisture.) Then I put everything in the oven that I had kicked on for a minute or two...just long enough to make a warm environment and I also turned on the oven light to provide a little more warmth.

Hope that helps. Maybe Raven can tell of any tricks she might know about.

izzyscout21
12-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Mine tends to come out a little on the thick side. Am I doing something wrong?

Stormfeather
12-12-2011, 03:14 AM
Storm, first thing that comes to mind is if the yeast was fresh.

Aside from that, I'm not sure but I'll tell you how I did it.

There weren't any kneading instructions so I kind of split the difference. Some breads don't need a whole lot of kneading while others need the traditional ten minutes or so. I kneaded it for about 3-4 minutes, just until it was starting to come together and the dough was becoming smooth and elastic.

I rose my bread in a stainless steel bowl that I had run through some hot water to warm the bowl. Then I covered it with a plastic shower cap (I use this instead of a warm dish towel because it helps hold in some warmth and moisture.) Then I put everything in the oven that I had kicked on for a minute or two...just long enough to make a warm environment and I also turned on the oven light to provide a little more warmth.

Hope that helps. Maybe Raven can tell of any tricks she might know about.

Ok, I will give this a try then! Maybe im not kneading it enough, or letting it raise enough.

Mine tends to come out a little on the thick side. Am I doing something wrong?

I was having the same results, I think its due to not kneading enough, and not letting it take the time to raise enough.

Stormfeather
12-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Ok, tried it again, and still same results. Im getting where its not fully cooking on the inside, it smells great, but its still doughy on the inside. Plus im not getting any "rise" out of it either. Im using Red Star yeast and this time I let it set for a 1:15 minutes after I kneaded it for 10 minutes. What im basically getting is a great smelling bread roll thats not done inside. :( Not sure what im doing wrong from the first batch to have this happen.

JustAPrepper
12-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Shucks, guys. If it's still not rising I would have to say it's probably the yeast...regardless of whether it says it's fresh, it may have been damaged/killed by heat somewhere along the way or possibly mislabeled. Yeast is a living organism, it can be frozen/refrigerated to extend shelf life but it can't take too much heat. Also, are you sure your mixing the right amount of salt? Too much salt can also kill yeast.

ravensgrove
12-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Ok my bad I presumed everyone knew to let bread rise. This is what I do. Knead five minutes cover for 1 hour. Split and shape into desired loaves (2, rope, whatever) let rise an additional 40 mins...bake.

Sorry.

Stormfeather
12-13-2011, 12:34 AM
Shucks, guys. If it's still not rising I would have to say it's probably the yeast...regardless of whether it says it's fresh, it may have been damaged/killed by heat somewhere along the way or possibly mislabeled. Yeast is a living organism, it can be frozen/refrigerated to extend shelf life but it can't take too much heat. Also, are you sure your mixing the right amount of salt? Too much salt can also kill yeast.

Im going to go out and get some more yeast and try it again, as far as I know its been ok, but it has been kept in the cupboard by the oven, so maybe the ambient heat may have something to do with it. I will post results when I try it again!

JustAPrepper
12-13-2011, 01:01 AM
Im going to go out and get some more yeast and try it again, as far as I know its been ok, but it has been kept in the cupboard by the oven, so maybe the ambient heat may have something to do with it. I will post results when I try it again!

I would almost bet this is why it isn't rising. I used to store my yeast in the cabinet above my stove. Even though the packages said the yeast was well within expiration, after several failed bread attempts I bought new yeast and had excellent results. I now buy it in bulk, one pound packages from the big box store. I keep a small jar in the fridge with the rest stored in the freezer. So far, so good.

Also, Raven confirmed...she only kneads for about five minutes (I think I did 3-4 minutes). I think this is a tender bread and over-kneading can overwork the gluten so it won't rise like some bread recipes that require longer kneading times. Just work it until the dough comes together and starts to get smooth and elastic. Good luck! I'll be making doughnuts in a few days and will post my results.

ladyhk13
12-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Is there a way to test the yeast to see if it is still active before mixing a whole batch and finding out it's dead?

ravensgrove
12-14-2011, 12:03 AM
You should always proof your yeast when you make anything....let me go find a link on how instead of trying to reinvent the wheel...

ravensgrove
12-14-2011, 12:04 AM
How to Proof Yeast | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_13896_proof-yeast.html)

Stormfeather
12-14-2011, 03:01 AM
proofing yeast as we speak. . . will give result in 10 minutes

Stormfeather
12-14-2011, 03:09 AM
proofing yeast as we speak. . . will give result in 10 minutes

eta:. . . ok, looks like yeast is ok. so im clueless, will try again this weekend when I have more time.

TroubleShooter
12-14-2011, 04:38 AM
Just wondering , did the dough rise before baking....? should have almost doubled in size, Mine turned out good in oven , but was a flop in the breadmaker, doughy in center and not very much rise. Fed mine to squirrels. During the kneading I just warmed the oven and then let the dough rise in a warm oven , turned off.

Verify oven temp to be correct and maybe cook longer depending on sea level....I think the bread maker temps were too low...

Stormfeather
12-15-2011, 06:30 AM
Dough didnt rise as much as I thought it would these past few times. definitely not double in size. Ive used the oven each time, and ended up with a flatter loaf with a doughy center.

TroubleShooter
12-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Just some thoughts...........Eggs do not get mixed into batter, they are for brushing on the loaf if you want ..
Too hot of water will kill yeast, too cold will not activate, I use fast acting....

Directions
1.In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
2.Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
3.Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
4.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

TroubleShooter
12-18-2011, 09:46 AM
I used this same recipe , cut the sugar back and formed 1/2 the dough into balls. Made excellent dinner rolls, almost identical to longhorn steak house rolls...Same oven temp, but only about 20 min bake time...... With less sugar the bread was not as dense inside, in dinner roll form the kids love them for cinaminon butter, or jelly.....they are also a good breakfast roll, good with gravy, or making breakfast sandwiches....