PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated CPR Kits

mitunnelrat
11-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Is there anyone here carrying one? If so, how? I know there are barriers on key chain setups, and I have a belt worn kit I was issued back in 2004 and I absolutely love it, but lost it- I thought forever - until I emptied out my locker yesterday at work. Finding it caused me to consider that we don't have a thread on CPR at all. And besides, I wanted to share in my excitement. :D

What I have is a Laerdal "Inflate-A-Shield" CPR barrier, a pair of gloves, and an anti-microbial wipe that packs into a belt pouch designed for them. I like that option way better than the keychain units because it doesn't contribute to bulging my pockets out and stays out of my way, but is right there if I (or someone else until I recert) need it. Its roughly 2.5"h x 3"w x 1"d

I find the shield itself very interesting too:
AllMed Catalog :: <B>CLEARANCE CENTER</B> :: Airway Management (http://www.allmed.net/catalog/item/3860)

Combining the superior protection of a mask and the portability of a shield, the Inflate-a-Shield CPR barrier delivers the best of both worlds to professional rescuers and lay responders alike.

Rescuers simply use one breath to inflate this compact, lightweight, single-use device.

The Inflate-a-Shield CPR barrier features a one-way valve, 3M™ Filtrete™ hydrophobic filter and the contoured inflated cuff provides a highly effective seal to the victim's face.

Verified to reduce airborne bacteria and viruses by greater than 99%, the Inflate-A-Shield device offers the protection rescuers require.

The Inflate-A-Shield barrier is ideal for CPR training classes, for use by lay responder and rescue personnel, and as a perfect adjunct to first aid kits and AEDs.

Unfortunately, they're a discontinued item, and I haven't as yet found the whole setup as I've described anywhere, though the shields themselves are discounted to $2 on the site I linked, and as I'm eventually going to need to update and replace it I'm wondering what else is out there?

mitunnelrat
11-17-2011, 07:45 PM
lol... I love it when topics I start fail miserably! At least it helps keep my ego in check! ;)

Nobody carries or has a CPR kit?

Evolver
11-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Here is where you can get a new Key Chan shield.

Amazon.com: Dealmed CPR Barrier Keychain: Health & Personal Care (http://www.amazon.com/Prima-Care-Medical-Dealmed-Keychain/dp/B000T438EW)

And the new updated method of CPR for adults.

CPR Training Video New 2010 / 2011 Guidelines - Preview Safetycare Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXim8rU7lY8&feature=related)

bacpacker
11-18-2011, 02:14 AM
I have one I've had for years, keep it in the vehicle FAK. Probably ain't doing me a lot of good there.

izzyscout21
11-19-2011, 06:46 PM
i don't carry one on my belt or car. I probably should. I DO have a fully stocked STOMP portable hospital pack that has barriers in it. For the time being, I'm only concerned about having to do CPR on my family, and other than select members having the stupid gene, they don't have any cooties.

realist
11-20-2011, 11:23 PM
The new guidelines for CPR are chest compressions only. However LEOs are and I guess fire will still do it the old fashion way. I guess the thought of some stranger puking in your mouth was a turn off for most people, me included, I thought I better put that in. Now that said there are small barriers with one way valves that work very well. There are some that have a mask fits over the face and will do a good seal. Then there is the small folding type that takes up no space.

mitunnelrat
11-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Wow. Now there's a statement that further reinforces my need to get in and recertify! Mouth-to-mouth was still "the" standard back when I was issued my kit. I'm thinking now I'll go in for the refresher before I make any choices on gear. Every option stated so far is stuff I'm at least loosely acquainted with, and was touted as effective from what I recall. Thanks folks.

Izzy, your approach is also one I've considered, though more along the lines of a dynamed BLS kit. I think I want to get some more training in before I do that though.

Evolver
11-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Mouth to mouth (rescue breath) is still a important thing to do if you don't get a pulse after every 30 chest compressions if your comfortable with doing it.

ladyhk13
11-22-2011, 04:10 AM
I still do it the old fashioned way but my mask has a cushioned barrier so no fluids can pass either direction.

LUNCHBOX
11-22-2011, 05:05 AM
I have a kit for CPR. It has the mask w/one way tube and wipes in it. Sorry I don't have a link but the mfr is Dyna-med.

Twitchy
11-23-2011, 03:33 AM
never considered getting one... considering i was first on scene of an accident the other day, it makes me reconsider my original thoughts... Thank god CPR wasn't required...

Twitchy
11-23-2011, 03:35 AM
Also, a tip for those of you who haven't done CPR before... You WILL tire out after a few minutes of doing it... That is, of course, if you are doing it right in the first place... I would suggest preppers should at least have basic first aid training as a part of their preparations

realist
11-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Evolver you are correct that mouth to mouth is important. However so many people were avoiding the use of it with the chest compressions that they decided to change the guidelines. If you want CPR to really work you need to do the mouth to mouth. Most people I know will only consider using it on family members. If you are going to use it on others a mask is recommended. I have a mask and have used it. Once you use a mask throw it away and get a new one.

There are two different type of masks the cushion type that have a chamber that raises the mask above the victim's mouth. The other is a barrier that has a one way tube. The mask is better because if the person vomits then you just scoop it away, make sure their airway is still open and continue. Not pretty but reality.

Evolver
11-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Yeah I hope It didn't look like I was correcting you, it was more less just an addition to your post. :) I'm a man with not many words. :o

izzyscout21
11-23-2011, 10:46 PM
I did mouth to mouth on and Iraqi soldier without a barrier. Walked away with a nasty taste and a disease. Word to the wise, get the barrier if you plan on doing ANY mouth to mouth.

Twitchy
11-23-2011, 11:08 PM
I did mouth to mouth on and Iraqi soldier without a barrier. Walked away with a nasty taste and a disease. Word to the wise, get the barrier if you plan on doing ANY mouth to mouth.

Hopefully that wont follow you right? nothing major I hope...

izzyscout21
11-24-2011, 04:32 AM
Hopefully that wont follow you right? nothing major I hope...

Yeah, I'm kinda stuck with it.

Somethings dont come clean with Penicillin and dial soap, kiddo.

It'll just play hell with my intestines for the rest of my life.

It's ok though. Uncle Sam's paying me for it.

mitunnelrat
11-24-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm also tracking fully now. It was definitely a sad state on my end to realize I hadn't been in for training long enough to totally miss a change in the mindset on this. I'm actually a bit ashamed of myself. Just another in what's becoming a long line of things I'm realizing have fallen by the wayside as the standards of my division erode, so yet another I'll maintain on my own time and dime.

izzy - if I ever seen the jinx fairy that seems to have followed you around I'll make sure to put a boot firmly up its ass for you.

izzyscout21
11-24-2011, 09:11 PM
izzy - if I ever seen the jinx fairy that seems to have followed you around I'll make sure to put a boot firmly up its ass for you.

Thanks man, I'd appreciate it. If you happen to see the "good idea fairy" while you're at it, give him one for me too.

Twitchy
11-25-2011, 07:28 AM
I'll be happy to firmly plant my size 10 foot up the jinx and good idea fairy's ass for you if I ever find it. Elusive little bastard though... ;) :p

Twitchy
11-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Yeah, I'm kinda stuck with it.

Somethings dont come clean with Penicillin and dial soap, kiddo.

It'll just play hell with my intestines for the rest of my life.

It's ok though. Uncle Sam's paying me for it.

Boy that sucks...