PDA

View Full Version : Moving Day Tomorrow

izzyscout21
11-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Well, tomorrow we make the big move. Moving from Maryville, TN to Jamestown. The new place is 10 minutes from the BOL, in the sticks. If you drive to BFE, take a left and keep going.

I am soooooo not ready for this. I still have to pack half the damn house. FML

U haul will be here in the morning. This is gonna suck.

There's so much crap left to do, it's not even funny. I dont even want to think about unbolting the gunsafe from the wall and floor.

Wish me luck.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/1efde_funny_pictures_funny-epic-fail-pics4.jpg

Evolver
11-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Do you want to borrow my U-Haul?

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/xplore2c/u-haul.jpg

izzyscout21
11-16-2011, 06:07 PM
I may need it just to haul all the munitions..........

bacpacker
11-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Damn! Losing my best good bud.
Izzy you welcome to leave the safe and muntions at my place. I'll move some crap outta the way for ya.

izzyscout21
11-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Why, BP, what a generous offer. I am deeply touched by your feelings of concern and well being for my bang sticks........:cool:

Dropy
11-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Well, i suppose i can mozy down there with my truck to help ya haul the fun stuff back to my place. Ya dont need all that in ur way while ur settling in!

Gunfixr
11-17-2011, 12:21 AM
Man, I don't envy you at all.
I hate moving.
I'll be doing it soon enough.
But, it'll be easier for me, as it will be post SHTF, so I'll take a lot less.

Stormfeather
11-17-2011, 06:26 AM
Man, I don't envy you at all.
I hate moving.
I'll be doing it soon enough.
But, it'll be easier for me, as it will be post SHTF, so I'll take a lot less.

I hear ya there! I HATE moving, if theres one thing I loathe in life, its moving. I would rather get my bore punched at the doctors office with 85 year old palsy victim doctor than move my household. . .I just hate it.
That being said, Izzy, at least you are moving closer to your BOL, that has to account for something! Good luck with it, and man, I hoep that isnt a pic of your shed on your vehicle. . . cause man. . . I got so much respect for ya. . . I know you know better than that! HAHAAH!
As for Jamestown, looking on google earth, seems like it is a perfect area for a BOL, lots of timber, water sources, bet theres some good hunting in those woods too!

helomech
11-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Good luck with the move. I hate moving, my last move was 400 miles, and had to be done in one trip. We had a the biggest truck they had, pulling the biggest trailer they had. With my pickup pulling another of the biggest trailers. Then we had my wifes van pulling a car on a car dolly, and they where all loaded down. Not a fun move.

bacpacker
11-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Izzy let us know how it went when you have the chance. Hope all is good for you guys.

izzyscout21
11-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Well, I made it. Whether or not It was in one piece is debateable. Started off at 830 am when I had to show the U-Haul lady how to USE her computer, It just compounded from there. They didn't have the truck, so we had to go with a smaller one. We managed to only pack up about half of the house, mostly essential living stuff.

Made it up here about 730 that night, had the truck unloaded by about 945 or so. Then, I had to drive 2w hours back to pick up all the firearms I left back at the old house. There was no way in hades I was going to leave them there until the next trip. MAnaged to get into bed around 3 or so.

Come to find out that the home inspector completely missed the fact that the hot water heater is shot. Lucky me.:mad: Managed to put the forgotten art of heating bath water and dish water on the stove to use,

Come to find out that cable and internet is non-existent up here. They have to come out and do a survey to see if I can get service. 2 days without NickJR and my kids are driving me up a wall. Hindsight being 20-20, they are so getting DVD's for Christmas. LOL

Luckily, my Verizon Wireless USB setup for internet is working, although the service is rather spotty. I see my sessions on the sight diminishing for a while until I get the Internet situation fixed.

When I get a chance, I'll take some pics of the new place and post them up for everyone. I think yall would be pretty interested in the bunker outside the house. That too has to have some work done, as I've got a bit of a water issue down there right now. Should be easy enough to fix though. Found about a 6 inch black salamander down there this morning. That's gotta be a clue to get something fixed. LOL

Stormy, you are correct indeed. There's plenty of water and hunting grounds around here. IN fact, my back yard is apparently the rabbit capitol of my area. there were probably 2 dozen or so of the furry critters out back last night. These guys are apparently eating really well, cause they were huge. If I get hungry, I know where the first stop is gonna be.

Luckily, there is a small (and I mean small) Wally world not to far away. At least I can do some basic shopping nearby. Now I just need to find somewhere to shoot where I won't hit someone's cow or goat. Plan on dropping by the local Sheriff's Office next week to see if they know of somewhere.

BP, I'll try to get with you next time I drive back to town.

I'll continue to come back to this thread and give you all status updates. Thanks for all the well wishes.
Until then,

Izzy

izzyscout21
11-19-2011, 10:20 PM
The kids somewhere along the way decided to help daddy unpack.........by opening some of the preps and dumping northern beans all over the floor and having a bean party. Then proceeded to use their garden shovels to help clean it up.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/Mobile%20Uploads/1119111537a.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/Mobile%20Uploads/1119111601a.jpg

bacpacker
11-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Glad you all made it in one piece Izzy. Give me a heads up when you figure out when you'll be up this way.

BTW I've found 3 batteries that will hold a charge so far. Also 3 VHF radio's that at least will power up. Still a long way to go, but I have gotten started. Still don't know yet what kinda shape the multi charger is in, the the single charger works very well.

izzyscout21
11-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Glad you all made it in one piece Izzy. Give me a heads up when you figure out when you'll be up this way.

BTW I've found 3 batteries that will hold a charge so far. Also 3 VHF radio's that at least will power up. Still a long way to go, but I have gotten started. Still don't know yet what kinda shape the multi charger is in, the the single charger works very well.

And there was great rejoicing...........yeeeeeeaaaaaaaah.............. ...

ladyhk13
11-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Snoopy Dance!!!!!! You are probably going to have to go Sattelite just like us...we have Dish Network (who BTW have a special going on right now for a year) and Wild Blue for our internet. Learned the hard way about the internet. They have limits on how much you can use because of a "fair use" Act or something. Wild Blue was the best we found. Tried HughesNet for one day. My son went through their limit in a matter of hours...called them and told them to get it out of our house. Hope it helps and welcome to the boonies.

izzyscout21
11-20-2011, 08:37 PM
I learned today that there is only one police officer on duty here on Sunday. I learned this because he stopped me to say "Hi, you're new here aren't you?"

OMG, not only did I relocate to the sticks, but it's Mayberry as well.

I feel slightly out of place in a sea of Mossy Oak camo, whilst I don my 5.11's.

eagle326
11-20-2011, 08:54 PM
i learned today that there is only one police officer on duty here on sunday. I learned this because he stopped me to say "hi, you're new here aren't you?"

omg, not only did i relocate to the sticks, but it's mayberry as well.

I feel slightly out of place in a sea of mossy oak camo, whilst i don my 5.11's.

gone deep country!!! :)

bacpacker
11-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Well Izzy does that make you one of the Darlin boys? Or is it this one.....

It's me, it's me, it's Earnest T.
:)

The Stig
11-21-2011, 01:18 AM
I learned today that there is only one police officer on duty here on Sunday. I learned this because he stopped me to say "Hi, you're new here aren't you?"

I feel slightly out of place in a sea of Mossy Oak camo, whilst I don my 5.11's.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DRBV0aT-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ladyhk13
11-22-2011, 02:56 AM

my dh got pulled over before our lights were even turned on and the sheriff told him that he never forgets a face....scary.....told ya, welcome to small town u.s.a.!

izzyscout21
11-22-2011, 01:39 PM
I'll get yall some pictures of the homestead up

izzyscout21
11-22-2011, 02:36 PM
From the front:

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/Mobile%20Uploads/1122110818a.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/Mobile%20Uploads/1122110819a.jpg

izzyscout21
11-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Side O House

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/Mobile%20Uploads/1122110819c.jpg

izzyscout21
11-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Part Of the back Yard

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/Mobile%20Uploads/1122110820a.jpg

izzyscout21
11-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Here's my barn

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/Mobile%20Uploads/1122110820b.jpg

izzyscout21
11-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Let's not forget my storm shelter/ bunker!!

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/Mobile%20Uploads/1122110821a.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/Mobile%20Uploads/1122110821b.jpg

izzyscout21
11-22-2011, 02:43 PM
I'll try to get some more pictures up later

eagle326
11-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Izzy ; You have done well. Now you can get some chickens and other critters.

izzyscout21
11-22-2011, 07:07 PM
The previous owners kept rabbits and goats.

I'm thinking of trying my hand at chicken.

There is still a rabbit hutch outside the barn.

eagle326
11-22-2011, 09:01 PM
The previous owners kept rabbits and goats.

I'm thinking of trying my hand at chicken.

There is still a rabbit hutch outside the barn.

Izzy if I can do chickens ; anybody can. ;)

bacpacker
11-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Izzy nice place. Looks to be out by itself. I like it!

i can turn you on to a nice rooster. Or two!

Evolver
11-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Very nice Izzy and you done good! You diffidently have room to grow and that storm/root/bunker cellar is a bonus.

JustAPrepper
11-23-2011, 12:22 AM
My jealousy is making me feel incredibly childish. I have this overwhelming urge to start an Izzy Sucks thread...:p

Seriously, it's beautiful. It looks like you have lots of room to "play" with. I'd love to see what the inside of your cellar looks like! Well Done!!

izzyscout21
11-23-2011, 12:38 AM
My jealousy is making me feel incredibly childish. I have this overwhelming urge to start an Izzy Sucks thread...:p

Seriously, it's beautiful. It looks like you have lots of room to "play" with. I'd love to see what the inside of your cellar looks like! Well Done!!

Sure thing. The previous owners left me with a small water/ drainage issue down there. I've got to get that taken care of. I'll get some more photos when I get a chance.

eagle326
11-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Izzy if you take Backpacker up on his offer of 2 roosters you could train them to be guard and attack birds. Just thinking outside the box .
I have faith in you on this project. ;)

izzyscout21
11-23-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm going to have to get it cleared with Mrs. Izzy, but I may try to take Bacpacker up on his offer.

And I guess I'll have to use him as a consultant when I try to set up the coop!

izzyscout21
11-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Guard chickens........I like it............

bacpacker
11-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Let me know if u are interested. I plan on having a chicken plucking day once the coop is finished and i get a few spare hours.

Chicken coop consulatant, i may need to start a side biz. :)

On a side note, i got 6 vhf radios to turn on, 1 uhf, 3 good batteries so far. But there are 3 bad UHF, 2 bad VHF radios and 3 batteries. Still gotta look at 3 more batteries.

izzyscout21
11-24-2011, 04:43 AM
well, hopefully the radio investment wasn't a total bust. May have to sell the non working ones as parts.

LUNCHBOX
11-24-2011, 04:52 AM
BP, Izzy....I have 2 more radios with batteries and antennas. Will be in touch.

izzyscout21
11-24-2011, 05:06 AM
here's a few pics of my shelter/ bunker. as you can see, I have a slight issue with water. Gotta get that fixed. It is a pretty spacious room though.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/Mobile%20Uploads/1123111127a.jpg

izzyscout21
11-24-2011, 05:06 AM
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/Mobile%20Uploads/1123111127b.jpg

Sniper-T
11-24-2011, 05:08 PM
If you have a rabbit hutch, and a bunch of really big bunnies hanging around, I would hazzard a guess that the previous owners just opened the gate on theirs and let them out. Sounds like they'd be easy to reclaim too. just get yourself some bunny food, put it outt near where they are with some water, and then each day bring them in closer. They'll be going into the hutch to eat soon enough. When you get a bunch in there, close the door, and put up a temp wall to keep them in, while you lure in more. repeat until you have as many as you want.

bon apetit!

ETA: awesome looking place btw!!!

izzyscout21
11-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Ive thought of that. Rsbbit is one of the few North American critters I can honestly say that Ive never eaten.

If I can convince my wife that they are a pet vs an emergency food source, I might be able to to it. She's a little squeemish when it comes to eating Thumper.

JustAPrepper
11-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Wow, Izzy! That space is awesome! I hope you're able to get the water issue resolved.

Evolver
11-25-2011, 12:35 AM
In your cellar is there a low spot for a sump pump and is the water coming it through the block, cracks or the from the entry? I might be able to coach you with a solution if you want.

bacpacker
11-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Do you know where the water is coming in at yet? Thru the block or thru the floor joints?

Great space for sure. Is the man door shown the main entrance? Accessable from inside the house? Lots of possibilities there.

izzyscout21
11-25-2011, 03:08 AM
The blocks are good. No water through them. It's coming in through the door. The builder didn't put a drain at the bottom of the stairs, so it comes up and over the door jam.

I'm thinkin that what will probably be easiest is to build a covered entrance above the stairwell. That way, the runoff wouldn't make it down the stairs.

It would be extremely intensive to put in a drain at this point.

Evolver:
I am more than open to suggestions. As long as I can keep it in a relatively low cost budget. Renting a Caterpillar isn't really an option right now. LOL

Evolver
11-28-2011, 12:21 AM
The blocks are good. No water through them. It's coming in through the door. The builder didn't put a drain at the bottom of the stairs, so it comes up and over the door jam.

I'm thinkin that what will probably be easiest is to build a covered entrance above the stairwell. That way, the runoff wouldn't make it down the stairs.

It would be extremely intensive to put in a drain at this point.

Evolver:
I am more than open to suggestions. As long as I can keep it in a relatively low cost budget. Renting a Caterpillar isn't really an option right now. LOL

You can do a French drain. French drains are the easiest to do providing that you don't have a high water table or the possibility of one (like in a flood zone). For your situation I would put one at the base of the stairs and another one in the very lowest spot inside the cellar.

How to,

Sledge/Jack hammer or use a digging bar ( my favo Redirect Notice (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=digging+bar&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=IaB&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1024&bih=599&tbm=isch&tbnid=6sbJzLHu23lInM:&imgrefurl=http://www.alltradetools.com/catalog/bars/1353-835700-23-lb-telegraph-digging-bar.html&docid=kGA8xBqZuL0PgM&imgurl=http://www.alltradetools.com/catalog/1353-1387-large/835700-23-lb-telegraph-digging-bar.jpg&w=300&h=300&ei=h-HSTtGmNub00gHpi9Qd&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=494&vpy=260&dur=5866&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=88&ty=247&sig=116141388068203879930&page=1&tbnh=122&tbnw=126&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:0)) and punch out a spot in the floor 16''- 24'' dig out to 24''-36'' deep. At this point you can you can finish it with a few different ways...

At the base of the stairs you could fill the hole with gravel and top it with a galvanized grate.

Or... Get a piece 2''-3'' Thin wall PVC/ABS/Plactic pipe at least 6'' shorter than the hole depth ( so there is a least 6'' gravel under pipe), Drill 1/4 holes all the way around from to bottom, fill dug hole with 4'' gravel, place and center pipe, fill the rest with gravel, put a floor drain cover over the pipe, re-pour concrete with bagged concrete mix that is sloped to the drain.

For the inside drain...
Just fill the hole with gravel and walk away.
Or... If you want provisions for a sump pump/French drain, Get a 5gal bucket (for a sump pump to set in), drill holes all the way around from top to bottom in the bottom, fill dug hole with gravel until the 5 gal bucket is just below floor level, center bucket, fill around the outside of bucket with gravel to the top lip or... down 3'' from lip and top gravel with bagged concrete.

You would only need a Sump Pump to get the water thats there out, to handle allot of water coming in all at once or for redundancy.

The most important part with french drains is you need to keep them free from clogging debris (leaves, sand and grass clippings).

To do this just make a simple two piece 3/4 or 1'' painted plywood lid (Steel would be better) thats hinged on the out side edges thats attached to the cement filled block entry side walls. This way you don't need to build UP for a roof system, walls and door to cover the entrance to the stairs. It doesn't even need to be water tight because you will have the french drain at the bottom of the stairs.

I've putt in a more than a few french drains in in my day an they do work.

If you have any questions or things to add just let me know. The more I know about your situation the mo better. :)

Oh... You should also dump a 1/2 gallon of cheep vinegar down there to kill any molds or algee that might be growing in the water until you get a hole punched in through the concrete or pumped out, vinegar won't harm the lawn if you do need to pump it out.