PDA

View Full Version : Medical Bookshelf

ravensgrove
11-17-2011, 02:09 AM
Here are my four favorites:

Standard Grey's Anatomy
New Choices in Natural Healing with 1,800 natural remedies by Prevention Magazine 1995 Rodale Press.
Herbs The Complete Illustrated guide by Non Shaw 1998 Elements Books.
Family Guide to Natural Medicine 1993 Reader's Digest

JustAPrepper
11-17-2011, 02:47 AM
We have Herperians, "Where There Is No Doctor" in hard copy but here is a link to get the download...Books and Resources | Hesperian Health Guides (http://hesperian.org/books-and-resources/)

Also have The Mayo Clinic Family Health Book...it's a huge referrence book my dad bought for me about ten years ago. It may be a little dated but the basics can still be found and it's a good resource.

I'm also a fan of Dr. Andrew Weil. He's a medical doctor that specializes in holistic medicine and natural foods/eating. If I saw one of his books at a library sale or garage sale I wouldn't pass it up.

mitunnelrat
11-17-2011, 07:49 PM
This is an area I'm decidedly weak in. So far I only have a medical first responder text book from 2004-ish that's likely a bit outdated by now.

bacpacker
11-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Here is my list of reference books. I also have some others in PDF, including Where their is no Dr/Dentist.

Medicinal Plants and Herbs
The Herb Book
Chinese Healing Herbs
The Complete Medicinal Herbal
Medicinal Plants
The Herbalist
Herbal Medicine
US army Special Forces Medical Handbook
The Official Pocket Medical Survival Handbook

We tried some things along these lines several years ago, with various results. We got away from it, but I think next spring we need to get going again. I'm getting my garden seed order together, so I'll be looking into herb's as well.

Something else we used was some various essential oils. One in particular that worked very well was Lavender oil. My wife burned her fingers pretty badly, call it a second degree burn. Right away we dosued her hand in ice water for about an hour. Then very lightly rubber on a coat of Lavender oil and wrapped her hand. Next morning you couldn't tell it had been burned. Luckily we had just read and picked up some oils just a few weeks before this. It sure worked well.