PDA

View Full Version : Medicinal Gardening and Common recipes for Tinctures/Infusions/Decoctions/Salves

ravensgrove
11-17-2011, 02:38 AM
I haven’t seen anyone as of yet discussing medicinal gardening. I keep a medicinal garden and herb garden here. I am fortunate to live near University of Washington which has an extensive 2 acre medicinal garden and have learned a lot from their guided tours. I highly suggest checking with your local agriculture extension and seeing if they have a medicinal garden. There are a plethora of lists online for medicinal herbs, so I won’t bore you with a long winded list, and as aforementioned in the section sticky...I TOO am not a Dr. and have never played one on tv. Pay particular attention to medicinal plants native to your area. Whatever indigenous tribes you have in your area, look to them as resources. Many tribes now keep websites with all sorts of cultural information.

Once you have your grown herbs you can basically do four things with them: make a topical paste, create a tincture which is taken orally, make an infusion or decoction/extraction in oil/water which is most commonly applied topically but in some instances is administered orally or via suppository, or you can make salves.

How do you do THAT?

Topical paste is self explanatory, you’re going to crush the herbs with a mortar and pestle or food processor and get them wet with as little water as possible.
Tincture’s are made by taking whole herbs and placing them in alcohol, where they ferment, once fermentation is achieved generally 3 to 6 months, the herbs are removed, the tincture is strained and then poured back into a clean holding vessel. It is best to use clear unadulterated alcohol, Vodka suffices. Try to use the darkest bottle you can find and place in a temperature/humidity stable area out of direct sunlight.
An infusion is made by placing an herb in a virgin carrier oil, most commonly olive oil and allowing the oil to naturally leach the chemical components from the herbs. An extraction/decoction is made when you gently simmer an herb in water, thus pulling the chemical components from the plant.
Salves/Balms are made by applying infusions or extractions/decoction to a soluble carrier. Here, I make salves and balms with 10 parts pigs lard to 1 part lanolin and 1 part beeswax. All are heated to liquid state, the infusion/extraction added and then poured into tins which cool. We make everything from bug rub for us and the livestock/dogs to furniture polish in this simple salve/balm.

As with all things, I am always thinking long term in my post shtf planning. I always find anything which revolves solely around stockpiling supplies insufficient, as eventually they will run out. Its important to learn how to prepare medicinals.

bacpacker
11-19-2011, 01:39 AM
Great explanations Raven. I have medicinal herb book that take many pages to describe what you just did in 3 paragraphs.

We did a few medicianls several years ago and got away from it for a while. I think it's time we get back at it. Who do you get your seed stock from? Do you start out with many pre-started plants?

ladyhk13
11-19-2011, 03:23 AM
I too have many books on medicinal herbs as well as pages and pages of downloaded info from the internet. I actually went through every herb that has a medicinal use and ordered seeds (heriloom of course) for my seed bank. I grew st. johns wort last year since it seemed very easy and it was. It grew like crazy. I have taken the leaves and dried them and put them in canning jars up in my spice cabinet way up on top and in the back. I ordered tons of seeds so i'm not too worried at this moment whether or not the leaves will lose their potency, I just want to see if I can grow the herbs. I've used Seedsavers and Heirloomacres so far but may try some other companies as well....not that I nees any more seeds though, I really do have more than I could ever handle already but I wanted to be prepared and I know they store well so I have been stocking up and trying a few of these and a few of those...
My only question is when making tinctures, salves and such, how long can they be stored before going bad? Any idea?

izzyscout21
11-19-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm really interested in this thread. Do you guys have alist of what you're growing and what the plants intended use is?

I'm very interested in finding a natural alternative to my kids medications should the need arise. I don't think I'd be able to get things from the pharmacy at that point and they have medds that I can't stockpile. Blood thinners and blood pressure meds that they have are compunded liquids. They go bad after about a week.

ladyhk13
11-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Izzy if you go to List of plants used in herbalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_plants_used_in_herbalism) you will find everything you are looking for. It is a great reference site. It will give you the name of the herb, what it is used for, shows a pic of it, the history of it...pretty much everything you could want to know. Just look through the list and click on the one you want info on.
Once you get a list of what you want then go online and buy your seeds. There are several places that sell heirloom herb seeds but there can be some of the more exotic ones that are hard or impossible to find. Good luck!

ravensgrove
11-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Sorry, I am just getting back on here. I save/trade seed religiously, but when I buy seed its usualy from Four Winds.
Lady, a balm or salve is good indefinitely until it starts to sour, you'll know since it is lard based. It will go rancid on you. Same with infusion/extraction they will get an off smell, just like bad olive oil. Usually start checking at 2 years. Tinctures on the other hand I toss at 2 years past fermentation, period. Most of them require minimum 4 months to ferment.
What am I growing...eeegads its a long list, that plot is 15 x 15. Suffice it to say anything that can gow in 7b/8a I am growing it. Last count there were 78 varieties out there. You must remember, I make soap for a living, I grow alot of herbs...LOL.
Here's a good link, I was attempting to go through it and pick ones I thought could grow most anywhere, but I don't have that kind of time:
Herbs and Their Uses (http://www.detox.net.au/articles/herbs-and-uses.html)
I think its important to look at this list and notice that several common culinary herbs are medicinals as well as common root crops such as the carrot. If you are low on space or time, or money, I suggest you start with your Italian triad: basil, bay, sage. You can eat them, and they have a plethora of uses for the body, also garlic. Garlic is good for all things that ail you. I actually contribute the reason we are all so robust and healthy to copious amounts of garlic in our diet.

ladyhk13
11-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Raven you are so right...I can't even count the number of medicinal seed that I have. I haven't bought from the co you mentioned so I'll check them out. Thanks for the info on balms and infusions. I have had a block of lard in my fridge for a year not knowing what I was going to do with it. I'll need to find some jars and experiment.

bacpacker
11-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Raven I think you may be on to something with the garlic helping with keeping one healthy. We started raising our own a few years ago. While we really like garlic, we never used it a lot before then. Since we started growing it we use it a large amount of the stuff we eat, neither of us has had much problem with colds, flu, or virus's since then. There has to be some relationship with it.