PDA

View Full Version : Bringing your solar showers in.

Evolver
11-17-2011, 03:49 PM
We bought two bladder type 5gal solar showers to use if we ever loose our gas or water for what ever reason.

While I was at work one day Justa broke one out of the box and give it a trial run. She first started by filling it with water on the ground, after it was full she tried to move it... (One gallon of water weighs 8.4 pounds so 5gals is 42 lbs) thats 42 lbs of dead weight. LOL She told me it was like lifting and baby Walrus :) So now they have a new name. She was able to pick it up but there is no way that she could lift it over her head high enough to hang and shower.

The wheels started a turning and this is what I came up with.

Items needed,

Two 80lb bags of concrete mix (post mix)
One post. (4"x4" pressure treated or 2'' galv pipe) 14' min,
Tubing or hose, barbed fittings, clamps, water shut off valve and shower head,
Mounting Bracket for Gambrel (heavy duty shelving bracket)
Bolts
Gambrel (500lb rated)
2-4 5 gal solar showers (Baby Walruses)
Rope tie off hook

How to,
Fasten your mounting bracket to your post with through bolts or lag bolts,

Just outside of the house by the shower Dig 12''x24''d hole, set post, fill with concrete, level post, let set up for 24hr undisturbed,

Mount rope tie off hook 4'off the ground,

From a ladder or from the roof hook the Gambrel to the bracket, lower tee bar to 4' off the ground for easy dry fitting, tie off hoisting rope,

Place empty Baby Walruses on tee bar and tie together with the tubing/hose, tees and hose clamps so you end up with one main line that runs through a window or through a small hole though the side of the house. In our case we have a double hung window so I can run the hose through the top of the window into the shower.

Hose length can be what ever and it can even droop lower than the head but the impotent thing is the shower head itself needs to be lower than the bags to work. (gravity fed) so the higher the bags are from the head the more water flow.

At the hose end install shut off valve (make this connection detachable for not in use storage and for easy line feeding into the house) then the shower head.

After the dry fitting is done hoist the tee bar and bags to the top of the post, fine tune tubing/hose length and rigging.

All done and ready for filling.

Filling,
Lower bags to 3' off the ground, tie off hoisting rope, fill with garden hose or bucket *evenly* so one side isn't heaver than the other... (If not you will end up with the barbell effect ouch :mad:) after full raise to the top of pole tie off, let the sun heat the water then shower away. ( only open water shut off valve when getting wet and then when rinsing off). *The less soap/shampoo that you use the less water need to rinse.

When there is no need for a solar shower remove valve and head, pull the line thought the window or wall, coil up line and remove bags (leave all intact less the valve and head), remove gambrel and store both out of the weather.

Last but not least... fly your Don't Tread On My flag on your new "Flag Pole" ;).

Don't mind my crude sketch but you can get an idea.

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/xplore2c/Walrushanger-3.jpg

Here is just one of many Gambrels. I think I paid 20 for this one at IMT.

The Yukon TracksĀ® Game Gambrel w/ Hoist Combo can easily be used to hang Two Baby Walruses, deer, antelope, and elk with a 4:1 lift ratio. It's constructed with a 22-in wide spreader bar, a 3/8-in rod stock and a strong poly rope that securely locks into place.

Features

Model Number: AV127
4:1 lift ratio
Lift capacity of 500 lbs
22-in wide spreader bar
3/8-in rod stock

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/xplore2c/walrushanger.jpg

I have everything for the build, I'll post pics after it's done and Justa can give a review.

*Disclaimer* Evolver is not an Engineer/Plumber or played one on TV and will not be responsible for and injury's occurring from the above statements ( Like falling Walurses), Some of the steps CAN be changed and modified to fit users needs.

ak474u
11-17-2011, 04:52 PM
That's a good idea. I always figured the bags could be put on the roof on the south-facing side to give you a quickie outdoor shower, but once again, the weight of the bags makes them hard to put on the roof unless you fill them up there.

Gunfixr
11-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Nice. We have one, but I hadn't thought of that.

mollypup
11-17-2011, 08:08 PM
I was planning to just hook it up to a pole run across the top of two concrete walls in our basement. Nothing fancy, but hopefully it will work. And the person taking the shower will have to stand in a rubber maid tub to catch the water to be recycled for later use.

Evolver
11-17-2011, 08:41 PM
I was planning to just hook it up to a pole run across the top of two concrete walls in our basement. Nothing fancy, but hopefully it will work. And the person taking the shower will have to stand in a rubber maid tub to catch the water to be recycled for later use.

Yeah that will work out well for people with basements, in the winter you could even place the bag in a insulated box to hold the heat covered with clear plastic cover, kind like a solar cooker. It won't get hot but it won't be ice cold ether. :)

bacpacker
11-18-2011, 02:33 AM
Alright now, I don't have time for one more project right now. I got way too many goin already.
I like the pole/post set up. The Gambrel will make it easy to pull 20 gallons up.

Evolver
11-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Alright now, I don't have time for one more project right now. I got way too many goin already.
I like the pole/post set up. The Gambrel will make it easy to pull 20 gallons up.

I know what you mean about having too many things going on and what sucks is I've been laid up for five days. Grrrrr:mad: Thats why I've been able to contribute a post or two but any way.

Yeah with the 4:1 lift ratio it will be pulling 40lbs with body weight.

izzyscout21
11-19-2011, 06:24 PM
That's an awesome idea. I've got several of those showers put away. Now I know how I'm going to use them. Thanks for the great idea!

Gunfixr
11-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Yeah, this made me think another one at least will be useful.
I don't even have to mount a pole. The bathroom window is right on one end of the house. I can put a mount up at the eave peak, and then just hang it there and hoist it as high as needed. It's also on the side for the afternoon sun all year round.

Evolver
11-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Yeah, this made me think another one at least will be useful.
I don't even have to mount a pole. The bathroom window is right on one end of the house. I can put a mount up at the eave peak, and then just hang it there and hoist it as high as needed. It's also on the side for the afternoon sun all year round.

Perfect!!!:cool: