PDA

View Full Version : Survival Planning: Go BIG, or go home!

mitunnelrat
03-15-2011, 03:58 AM
When I first signed up with the site and introduced myself, I mentioned how I've evolved as I've gotten deeper in the prepping lifestyle. I also mentioned my current, ultimate goal is to establish a working homestead and cooperative economy within a small community, which is what I'm posting on today. I'll only be divulging limited areas of it here, but my master plan to achieve this has 12 areas of concern. For the curious, those 12 areas are: Food; Water; Shelter; Morale/Welfare/Recreation (MWR); Sanitation/Hygiene; Medical; Communication; Navigation; Transportation; Barter; Physical Security; and my Financial Needs.

There are numerous reasons I've chosen to go this route, chief among them being a very base instinct to protect my friend's and family. I struggled for a long time on how I could accommodate all of them should the need ever arise. It does a few other things for me too though. When I'm fully up and running, I'll be working for myself. I'll actually like my boss! Additionally, I'm a strong proponent of charity, though I'm very selective as to where I contribute. To borrow a term, it is one area where I'll "Think globally, act locally".

One of the most obvious areas a homestead can impact is food. As prepper's most of us lay back some level of store's. My personal limit, not yet achieved, is a 2 year supply per person in my household, which currently numbers at 3. If nothing happens before the kid grows up, she'll have something like an expanded hope chest, which will include a 2 year stock of food to ease her into her first years as an independent adult. However, if something does happen. I'll have enough food on hand to feed my household through two winters and a failed growing season.

Looking outward, I'll also have enough on hand to comfortably feed any one or all of my immediate family and friends for 3 months. During a short term situation I could potentially feed upwards of 100 people. That's just on what I'll have stored, and doesn't factor in fresh foods, but all of this brings me to my next level of assistance: My community.

I have several ways beyond storage food that I can impact the community around me . Through charity, and selling to the more fortunate at a price below the local supermarket. In charity, I can give actual food, but also some of the seeds I'll have stocked, so they can produce their own. I can also use it to barter for goods and services which will benefit either myself or others. I can even extend this to products and services provided for in my general store, which I'll be setting up as the hub of my activities. I want to process my livestock myself, so I'll be able to offer that as a service. The processing equipment will otherwise sit dormant a good bit of time. I figured I can even pay someone or work out a barter agreement with them to do the work for me as it comes in. In example:

Frank has a deer, but doesn't know how to process it, and comes to me. I'm busy, so I call Joe, who I know can process the deer and could use some money. All I want is the hide, which I've asked Joe to tan for me in return for floating him some business.

The ultimate goal is to wage a "hearts and minds" campaign, and win it. I want Frank and Joe to develop a habit of coming to me when they need something. I want them to do it because I need for it to happen on a community level. My theory behind this is simple. People are creatures of habit, and if I can cultivate and develop habits before an emergency, the people will fall back on that habit during one. I want to be viewed as a community leader and benefactor. I've seen the effect that can have on a population first hand in my area. Its awe inspiring.

To this end, I plan to provide as wide an array of goods and services as I can, to get as wide a demographic coming to me as possible. Not only will I have various food operations going, I'll also have the general store mentioned above. From there, I could run some greeenhouse operations, do firearm transfers, provide hunting/ fishing gear, etc. I can run a PT locksmith business from there, and give access to a shop building housing equipment and materials for auto, metal, and wood work.

If I build a large enough livestock barn, I could board horses. I already know I'll have a few of those for personal use. Not my choice exactly, but an element in my family want.

Finally, I could host events there and elsewhere, such as a weekend flea market or little festival.

It is a very ambitious plan, and one that will take years of research and development to pull off properly. I'm hoping to have several key elements in place within the next few years, but try to work on something for it every day something shiny doesn't distract me. This is one step in that process, and I'm hoping by posting here I can get some commentary, (constructive) criticisms, and directions to follow. So with that, thanks in advance for your help, thoughts and opinions.

gunbuilder69
03-15-2011, 04:05 AM
That's A sound mission statement MTR! The plan is really 75% of the act itself,Just don't forget about the contingencies of 'B' 'C' and 'D'

mitunnelrat
03-15-2011, 04:24 AM
I do try to keep that in mind. I recently learned of a nice little acronym called "PACE", which means Primary, Alternate, Contingency, and Emergency. Its a nice, simple model to follow I think, and helps keep me organized and on track. As an example, the homestead of this thread is my primary home and shelter, but I want a vacation cabin. That would be my alternate. A camper will make an acceptable contingency shelter, and man portable/ field expedient shelters are already in place for emergencies.

TEOTWAWKI13
03-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Good acronym...good plan.

wolfracer
03-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Good luck and it sounds like your on your way! Keep us updated.

bacpacker
03-16-2011, 03:45 AM
I like the plan MI. Lots of areas for overlap and multiple branches of ways for things to work.

mitunnelrat
03-17-2011, 02:53 AM
Thanks! Like many other's I catch a lot of hell for making this a lifestyle vs. a hobby. Its awesome being able to come here and see some affirmation on my ideas

apssbc
03-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Much like you I have turned this into a life style and it doesn't always settle well with the fiancée but she is getting better with it. I have realized you must be part of a group to survive. There is no way to survive long term without a community structure. You have to build your skills and supplies to survive the first big die off so you can build a strong group.

Your plan of having a community before anything happens will not harm anything and can only benefit you in the future. You must make sure you chose the right people. Sometimes its not best to recruit as you risk not being able to screen people properly.

Just my two cents. Something to remember.

mitunnelrat
03-18-2011, 04:35 AM
I agree. There's a reason I have public ventures, private matters, and fallback options. By the way, I'm glad to see you made it over here!

apssbc
03-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the invite :) Good to be here.

The Stig
03-21-2011, 01:46 AM
This is such a great idea. Looking forward to reading updates.

We've already started to meet the neighbors around us and I've been keeping your post in mind as I am introduced to people.

mitunnelrat
03-21-2011, 04:42 AM
I'll definitely post them as they come along. I may be sneaky about it though and drop some research/ experience on different aspects into various forums ;)

x-cop
03-21-2011, 09:41 PM
I wanna go big

I don't just want to get off the grid

i want to abandon the world.

I hate the world as it is, it celebrates weakness, dependence, depravity and stupidity.

I want to build a place that i can shut myself away from the stupidity of Jersey Shore and Dancing with the stars, Barry and his sycophants.

Make things, work in my garden, read books and be left alone.

RedJohn
03-21-2011, 09:50 PM
I want that too, but I just want to keep Internet.

mitunnelrat
03-22-2011, 05:01 AM
Please excuse me for saying so, but I believe that mentality to be the antithesis of going big...

RedJohn
03-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Please excuse me for saying so, but I believe that mentality to be the antithesis of going big...

You're right, sorry.

cwconnertx
03-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Even if you fall short you will be better prepared than most. The journey will make you better!

Good Luck, I want to hear more.

Stg1swret
04-30-2011, 04:27 AM
Get to know your immediate neighbors, then branch out a little further. Find out if your local PD/Sheriff's department has a community watch or ride along program. If they don't see if you can get them to start one. You'll learn a lot and it will help if SHTF. Develop friendships with trades people that can help you out, watch and ask questions when they work , knowledge is power so to speak.

During my 20 years in the service, I went to a lot of schools for things not remotely related to my skill, fire fighting, security schools, an armorers school, weather forecasting (remotely related, long story). All kinds of first aid/first responder. Find out what is available through local red Cross, Community College, local agriculture extension. The list goes on and on. There is plenty out there free for the taking.

mitunnelrat
04-30-2011, 10:02 PM
lol... How'd you get into my head? Seriously. That was all good information there.

mitunnelrat
09-12-2011, 09:52 PM
I have an update and what may soon be the start of a new stage in my preparations. I had this awesome idea to see if I could trade my time and effort for room and board (+/- other accommodations) on a working homestead or small farm, especially if I could keep my current employment. I was happy to find sites devoted to connecting people with such farms.

The main one I've checked out is WWOOF. World Wide Opportunites on Organic Farms. Cool. Not only could this give me the experience I need, it could help me accelerate my debt elimination program and (in the future) help provide me with people to keep my own operation running once I get it set up.

That's all so far as I just started looking, but I'll share more as it comes along.

mitunnelrat
09-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Well, WWOOF was a bust. There wasn't anything close enough to work for me.

The search goes on!

The Stig
09-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Sorry that it didn't pan out for you but glad to see you trying.

Your "real deal" moniker continues to be apt.

mitunnelrat
09-14-2011, 04:27 AM
Thanks again. It really doesn't feel like I'm doing much on this end, but I expect that to change for the better before the end of this winter. It looks like I'll be moving into a rural area within the next week, so I'm still taking a step in the right direction, just a smaller one than I was hoping for at the moment.

LUNCHBOX
09-14-2011, 01:21 PM
"so I'm still taking a step in the right direction, just a smaller one than I was hoping for at the moment"

One small step for you....one giant step for your prepping. I couldn't help myself.

mitunnelrat
09-15-2011, 04:58 PM
The funny part, is... its true!

Stormfeather
09-22-2011, 06:05 AM
and shtf, total collapse, that is, your worst enemies will be inside your walls with you. You can't get 5 guys to agree on what rifle and load to use, and you "think" they will agree on who gets what food, med care, who pulls what duty, whose kids will be disciplined, HOW, etc? :-) Very funny, dude!

You dont have alot of friends do you?

Stormfeather
09-22-2011, 06:13 AM
I have an update and what may soon be the start of a new stage in my preparations. I had this awesome idea to see if I could trade my time and effort for room and board (+/- other accommodations) on a working homestead or small farm, especially if I could keep my current employment. I was happy to find sites devoted to connecting people with such farms.

The main one I've checked out is WWOOF. World Wide Opportunites on Organic Farms. Cool. Not only could this give me the experience I need, it could help me accelerate my debt elimination program and (in the future) help provide me with people to keep my own operation running once I get it set up.

That's all so far as I just started looking, but I'll share more as it comes along.

I like the WWOOF aspect and checked into it. Lo and behold I have a farm local to me, the only thing I didnt like would be that I would have to pay to get more details about the whole aspect of it. Wasnt too keen on that, But I do like the idea of it and may check more into it in the future.

mitunnelrat
09-23-2011, 07:07 PM
I didn't get that far into it since nothing was close enough. Maybe just trying to contact the farm directly without using the site as an intermediary?