PDA

View Full Version : Gas Masks

The Stig
11-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Anybody stocking gas masks or any other sort of breathing apparatus?

If so, what kind, where'd you get them, tips & tricks, etc.

Gunfixr
11-19-2011, 03:22 AM
I have two. One is an ancient US Navy MK V. It uses rather large diameter but shallow depth filters, one on each side. I got it from someone many years ago now, and managed to pick up some still in the can filters a few years later. Last I checked, it was still in good shape.
The other is foreign, and I don't even know whose. I got it from a friend who was in dire need of some cash. It came with half a dozen extra filters still sealed. I think it takes NATO filters, or will with a simple adapter.
While there is 4 of us here, all the rest absolutely refuse to wear anything on their face, even though it might mean death. So, I figure I'm GTG.

Twitchy
11-19-2011, 03:28 AM
I have two. One is an ancient US Navy MK V. It uses rather large diameter but shallow depth filters, one on each side. I got it from someone many years ago now, and managed to pick up some still in the can filters a few years later. Last I checked, it was still in good shape.
The other is foreign, and I don't even know whose. I got it from a friend who was in dire need of some cash. It came with half a dozen extra filters still sealed. I think it takes NATO filters, or will with a simple adapter.
While there is 4 of us here, all the rest absolutely refuse to wear anything on their face, even though it might mean death. So, I figure I'm GTG.

Mind posting pictures for ID?

if they are old, they are dangerous... if they are russian or israeli older models, also dangerous...

great site for gas mask stuff: Approved Gas Masks | Gas Masks and Filters, Chemical Suits and More (http://approvedgasmasks.com)

ladyhk13
11-19-2011, 03:30 AM
we have 1 MCU-2P and 2 Isreali's which all use NATO canisters. Keep a look out at the flea markets and surplus places. Sometimes ya just hit the jackpot. Make sure the canisters are sealed...that is a must!

Gunfixr
11-19-2011, 04:12 AM
I'll have to take pics. I know the one is US Navy, and I got it from a friend who was in the Navy at the time, back in the 80s. Last I checked, the rubber was still soft and pliable, not hard or cracked. I left the extra filters sealed in the sardine can they came in.
The other is not Israeli, as I had a couple of those years back, before I found out no one would use them. The filters for the other one are also still factory sealed.
I know that opening them and exposing the filter element to air effectively "uses" it up.

realist
11-19-2011, 04:40 AM
One thing that you need to understand with gas masks is that in order for them to be compliant with OSHA they have to be NIOSH approved. I know who cares about OSHA when the SHTF. I am just trying to make it less confusing. If it is military it is not NIOSH approved because the military does not care about NIOSH they only care that their stuff works and it does. So for civilians you are are going to get the NIOSH which means you will pay more. I use MSAs and they have worked very well. I have used them in a bunch of different type of gas environments. I think that the run about $200. Make sure that you have extra canisters once you have the masks. One thing is that usually all the canisters will work on most types of gas masks, you need to check to make sure.

I would also look at maybe a half or a full face mask with a hepa filter. These are cheaper than gas masks and are good for some chemicals and large particles such as dust. I would also look at M 95 particulate masks for dust. For infectious environments I would use the M-95 masks.

izzyscout21
11-19-2011, 06:07 PM
I've got 2 AVON FM-12 masks. They are a very comfortable mask and offer a great field of vision. The canisters are reversible for onobstructed use of a rifle. The masks are pricey, but well worth the investment. They use a 40mm thread canister, so in addition to the myriad of different OEM canisters that can be used for different threat/ contaminant levels, I can use standard NATO filters as well.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/AAAGAS-201-2T.jpg

Here's a little something about them

Chlorobutyl rubber mask provides excellent protection against penetration by chemical and biological threat agents.

Compatible with a wide range of user equipment in service with various Armed Forces.

High level of wearer comfort and confidence ensured by unique lightweight design and slim profile together with very low breathing resistance.

Scratch and impact resistant eyepieces.

Improved field of vision and non-misting.

Intrinsically safe speech transmitter allows clear and direct communication.

Optional secondary speech transmitter to allow use of communication equipment.

High flow fail-safe drinking system.

Sight correction available for standard mask.

Left and right handed canister mountings.

Comfortable fabric harness.

Highly robust and easy to decontaminate.

Maintenance can be carried out at unit level with easy-to-use toolkit.

Optional outlet valve dust cover for use in desert or dusty conditions.

Certified to NFPA 1994-2007 Standard on Protective Ensembles for First Responders to CBRN Terrorism Incidents with the Blauer Extended Response Team Ensemble (XRT-3), model number WZ9435A (SEI Ref. No CBT BLA 03 - Variant 01).

realist
11-21-2011, 01:49 AM
Izzy your Avon is the way to go. If I had a choice I would go with the Avon. The abilitiy to switch the canister to a different side is huge if you have to deploy with a rifle. The MSAs which we are issued have the canister in the front which gets in the way of everything. However we use the Drager SCBAs and the MSAs are almost the same so it is a training issue that our department didn't want to have to address.

One other thing that people need to know is that if you have mask like the Micky 2 the curved face shield has a tendency to distort your view when shouldering a rifle. The old military masks were actually better to shoot with. Make sure that you get a lens insert if you wear glasses. The rubber glasses that some people wear under gas masks don't always work. So if you are going to go that route get a pair and try them on before you spend the money on a pair of lens.

For those people that have gas masks and don't normally wear them make sure you get them fit tested. Be careful how you store them, if you fold them up and they get a crease then you might not be able to obtain a seal.

For those people who are buying the surplus on the market my question is why are they being gotten rid of by that country? I would stick with USA made current manufacture. One thing that is nice is the canisters so long as the are still sealed they should be good to go even if they are not made by the mask's manufacturer, just make sure they have the same threads.

izzyscout21
11-21-2011, 05:13 AM
thanks. It's a great mask, and it's not too bad to shoot in (yep, i did it for shits and giggles). It IS a bitch to run in, but, hey, they all are.

mitunnelrat
11-25-2011, 10:04 PM
I have the M40 Mask
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/M40mask-1.jpg

The M-40 Full Facepiece has been used for years by U.S. Armed Forces all around the world. This facepiece has been NIOSH-approved with the 3M™ Cartridge FR-C2A1 or 3M™ Cartridge FR-64 for acid gases (including chlorine), CN, CS, and P100 particulate filter. The FR-C2A1 cartridge meets military specifications MIL-C-51560 and EA-C-1704. The FR-M40 full facepiece respirator has the capability to mount a single FR-C2A1 DIN threaded cartridge on either the right or left side.

Comes with several unique design features suited for first responders. The silicone allows for excellent fit testing results and maximum comfort while the optional butyl rubber second skin protects the facepiece increasing respirator life and decreasing decontamination costs. A butyl coated nylon hood covers the head and neck and is easily donned to add additional protection against chemical agents and meets MIL-SPEC-C-51251. An integral drinking device permits the user to replenish fluids without having to remove the mask. A dual eyepiece format permits the respirator to easily interface with optics and to fold for storage. FR-M40 accessories include: clear and gray eyepiece outserts, spectacle kit, and buytl rubber Second Skin. The FR-M40 fits into a storage bag/carrying pouch with strap

Like Izzy's Avon, it'll take a variety of canisters. The type I currently have on hand for my primary threat, chlorine, is the Type 80 NATO

- Meets or exceeds the US Military C2A1 filter standards
- Protection against known biological and chemical agents
- Third party tested against chemical warfare gases
- Excellent protection against Sarin (and its surrogate DMMP)
- Particulate filter is over 99.99% efficient against all particulates and is appropriate for protection against all biological aerosols
- Exceptionally high particle-filtration capacity and low breathing resistance.
- Standard 40mm NATO threaded design

Quotes' source FR M40 Gas Mask and Filter from Approved Gas Masks (http://approvedgasmasks.com/3m-fr-m40.htm)

Somewhere over the years I lost my original spectacles for this mask, and ordered a new set of frames. The new frames were plastic, and before I could get them fitted with lenses the frame cracked in storage. I eventually need to get a new set, but for a short term "run like hell situation" I'll be able to see well enough to avoid tripping myself. The mask and its component parts are also due for an inspection and cleaning.

Stormfeather
12-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Ive got a crate of the m40's, all brand new still in the original plastics sealed bags, with a crapton of filters. Hope like hell I never need them though!

mitunnelrat
07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Well, I just figured out my filters are a "few" years past expired. I'm looking at either the 3M Cartridge FR C2A1 Gas Filter or the 3M FR-64 to replace them. Anybody here have a preference or opinion between the two?

Echo2
07-10-2012, 03:12 PM
M-40...but not planning on long term.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive got a crate of the m40's, all brand new still in the original plastics sealed bags, with a crapton of filters. Hope like hell I never need them though!

Don't have a couple l/xls you want to part with do ya?

Baker
07-15-2012, 03:35 AM
If I'm getting one, I'm most certainly NOT buying some piece of sh*t surplus one. They degrade after time.

If I get one, I'm getting something as new as possible. Same as canisters. Sure, it'd be expensive, but I'd want to know that it will work if I need it to.

Echo2
07-15-2012, 01:18 PM
If I'm getting one, I'm most certainly NOT buying some piece of sh*t surplus one. They degrade after time.

If I get one, I'm getting something as new as possible. Same as canisters. Sure, it'd be expensive, but I'd want to know that it will work if I need it to.

Depends on whose surplus it is....