PDA

View Full Version : Elevation

bacpacker
11-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Reading thru the gardening post got me thinking about climate and growing conditions.

What elevation do you currently live? How much different is your BOL in elevation, if you have one?

This will affect more thing than growing conditions, but for the folks that raise their own food, elevation even small pockets creating micro climates can have an effect. As an example we have a low spot, almost a gap, across the middle of our property that most any time of the year has a breeze moving across it. This area remains frost free until the temps get down to the freeze level. There is probably 2-4 degrees difference in that area. It's nice in the summertime as well. It's always a touch cooler there with a breeze most of the time as well.

realist
11-20-2011, 11:39 PM
One thing that I have done is researched my area and my BOL. This winter I am planting fruit trees at the BOL and will try some other plants this summer just as a trial. It will be an interesting experiment. The nice thing is both of my locations are roughly the same distance from the coast and about the same elevation. However the BOL is farther north and does get a touch of snow occasionally..

bacpacker
11-21-2011, 01:21 AM
I forgot to add that my place is right at 900' elevation. Should we bug out, it would be into the mountians to an as yet undetirmined location.
Still searchin for a BOL/retirement location.

The Stig
11-21-2011, 01:24 AM
Apparently here in the land of "Shelton" we're at 262 feet. That's higher than I imagined.

Evolver
11-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Were at 252" yup '' not ' If a Tsunami hits... We're goners. :eek:

realist
11-21-2011, 02:40 AM
Bacpacker it is amazing how we all seem to call our BOL our retirement location. Every time I get on it gets me to thinking about new things. I guess it is easier to get it by the better half if they are not totally in line with our thinking.......... When I think of it, retirement location does sound much better and does not ring bells. They just think I am moving on to better things and that is just what I am doing. I know most of you guys do not like the Left Coast but so long as you stay away from SOCAL it is not too bad. From my prospective you folks have just too many people out east. So why not head West? I know family, job, friends and..............

Evolver I live close to the coast but we are still almost 500 + up so we should have beach front property. However my BOL or retirement location is about 1,500.

ravensgrove
11-21-2011, 04:45 AM
Did someone say land of Shelton? I am in aland of Shelton as well...though likely not your Shelton. We are in western WA, and the town sits almost exactly at sea level on the far west offshoot of Puget Sound. I am at elevation out here at the farm at almost 1100 feet. It is generally hotter up here in the summer, and cooler up here in the winter, plus or minus 3/4 degrees in either direction. This fact, kicked my farming arse the first year we were here and I am a seasoned gardener. We ended up becoming extremely well versed in season extenders: cloches, greenhouses, high tunnels, low tunnels....you name it...I am doing it.