PDA

View Full Version : Posting Photos on the net...Something That Happened Today

JustAPrepper
11-20-2011, 10:42 PM
This isn't about OPSEC, as I've said, I'm not overly concerned with anybody figuring out where I live and stealing a bucket of wheat or a can of beans. This is about how pathetic some people are...

I'm an active member of two recipe/cooking sites. One is the old Recipezaar that was sold out to Scripps and the final transition was completed summer of last year. When Scripps took over and changed the name to Food.com I stopped posting my recipe photos because I didn't like their Terms of Use. Today I find out through the community section of the second board I belong to that some wench in Pittsburgh has a blog and has been lifting recipes and photos from Food and in some cases had watermarked several of the pictures with her own logo. Most recipes may claim to be copyrighted but the truth is, you can't copyright a "formula". There's specific standards that need to be met to prove copyright infringement but using someone else's photo's is another story.

I went through her pages and found she had lifted one of my photos and attached it to one of her blogs (she has two that I could find) as her own. This really hacks me off. She's been at this for a couple of years now, had over 1000 recipe posts and has about six hundred followers on her facebook page. I bet this chick has never cooked a recipe in her life and I know for a fact she didn't take all the pictures because I was able to link dozens of them back to Food. But here's another thing...she's selling two cookbooks, with a third on the way. I wonder how many stolen photo's are in the books? :mad:

What I'm getting at is, I'll still post photos here but I'll only leave them up for a short period of time so if you check back on an older thread of mine and the pictures are gone it's because there are LOSERS out there who are so fucking lazy, with such meaningless lives, they have to farm other sites for content and photos just to make themselves look and sound interesting. :mad:

RedJohn
11-20-2011, 11:31 PM
On the Internet, everybody think that what's up there is free to grab for everybody. I am not a bit surprised by this story. This is sad though. A credit was just a little thing to do.

The Stig
11-21-2011, 01:01 AM
I hear you Justa.

Every once in a while I wonder if my stories will end up creatively "borrowed" on some other site. To be honest, I do searches on my character names to see if they pop up on a different website but all someone would have to do is scrub the names and go with the same general outline.

Sadly, however, I had to come to the conclusion that anything creative that is posted online, whether a recipe, story or thread idea can, and likely will be, lifted.

Sad commentary on our fellow humanoids.

RedJohn
11-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Even the one not published online will end up there for everybody to grab. I do take advantage of the "free" stuff on the net, but I will never claimed someone else's work as mine.

Gunfixr
11-24-2011, 02:10 AM
Yeah, I know how that works.
Sorry to hear it, but I'm not surprised by it, unfortunately.
I've invented parts copied and claimed by others, and done work claimed by others.
But, I know the truth, and so do you. For whatever small hope it gives, keep that in mind.

ETA: Oh, I suppose everybody here knows that photos taken with anything made recently, such as either recent cameras or phones will have the GPS and time/date stamp in the pic data, which can be hacked to give an exact location of where the pic was taken. Using a camera of at least 5yrs old will eliminate that. We have an old camera that I use exclusively for internet pics.

RedJohn
11-24-2011, 01:28 PM
You gotta look into watermarking if you do this a lot. Some software even report to you where your pictures are. You can also use systems like TinEye Reverse Image Search (http://www.tineye.com/) to find some of your pictures, even cropped.