PDA

View Full Version : The Physical Toll When SHTF

Survival Goddess
11-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Can you physically handle the future after SHTF?

Have you thought about the changes your body will go thru after the SHTF? Your diet will change dramatically along with the physical demands. Your day to day living will consist of activities that are grueling physical labor that is needed to survive.

*Gathering/Chopping Wood
*Hunting/Fishing
*Food Preparation and Storage
*Growing and Tending Gardens
*Tending Livestock
*Scavenging

And the list goes on and on.....

Take a good look at yourself right now and ask the question

"Am I in physical shape to handle the SHTF if it happened right now?"

If your answer like mine is "NO" than maybe it is time to start working on that issue right now. The next few posts I will be dedicating to this subject because literally your life and your families life depends on this. If you die in the first few days of a WROL situation from a heart attack game over for you and those who are depending on you.

Thank you EastTennesseePrepper for being brave enough to take on this scenario, show the vulnerabilities, and sharing them with us. (To see these videos go to Survival Goddess: The Physical Toll When SHTF Part 1 (http://survivalgoddess.blogspot.com/2011/11/physical-toll-when-shtf-part-1.html) )

So what are you doing to be physically prepared?

Stormfeather
11-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Currently in the military, tends to keep one in shape whether I want to be or not!

RedJohn
11-28-2011, 11:42 AM
I am definitely not in shape, but as my out-of-shape is a direct result of my indulgence to easy-made and readily available junk, if/when the shtf, that problem should resolve itself fairly fast assuming that I survive the initial blast of whatever is coming.

izzyscout21
11-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Currently in the military, tends to keep one in shape whether I want to be or not!

Changeover...............

helomech
11-28-2011, 12:54 PM
I am very active, and do most of the activities you mention already. Sure things will get a lot harder, but there is no doubt in my mind I am physically ready.

ravensgrove
11-29-2011, 04:22 AM
What is "in shape"? I have brought this up before, so I am sort of beating the proverbial dead equine here...but I am probably not "in shape" by your standard....certainly not by PT standards...but I challenge most people here to keep up with me on this farm, especially during planting season.

My husband is an active duty PT stud, and he will begrudgingly attest I have much more endurance then he has.

Speaking only for women, since I am one, I would be more concerned with your muscle strength, flexibility and endurance pre and postshtf then your "size". Which generaly has little to do with how much work you can actually do, or how well your body handles illness and more importantly stress. In a SHTF scenario, you need to be more concerned with your bodies phsyical ability to withstand stress. "In shape" is probably not the right term..."fit" both mentally and physically should be the goal.

Said the pear from the farm.....

The Stig
11-29-2011, 05:09 PM
What is "in shape"? I have brought this up before, so I am sort of beating the proverbial dead equine here...but I am probably not "in shape" by your standard....certainly not by PT standards...but I challenge most people here to keep up with me on this farm, especially during planting season.

My husband is an active duty PT stud, and he will begrudgingly attest I have much more endurance then he has.

Speaking only for women, since I am one, I would be more concerned with your muscle strength, flexibility and endurance pre and postshtf then your "size". Which generaly has little to do with how much work you can actually do, or how well your body handles illness and more importantly stress. In a SHTF scenario, you need to be more concerned with your bodies phsyical ability to withstand stress. "In shape" is probably not the right term..."fit" both mentally and physically should be the goal.

Said the pear from the farm.....

Definitely a very valid point and one you are more than welcome to continue beating to death.

Like anything there's room for both ends of the spectrum here.

Some situations will call on the PT stud, lightfighting, door-kicker type physical fitness for intense, but generally speaking, shorter duration situations. Need a guy to run into the burning building, climb 5 flights of stairs and then get out with grandpa slung over his shoulder? Need a guy to go hands-on with an attacker? Need a woman to make a mad dash through a crowd in a store to retrieve her adolescent child in the electronics section when the shooting starts? Yea, you need PT stud like physical fitness.

That said, other situations call for long-term endurance and strength. Need to spend all day hacking down trees after a hurricane? How about spending a week cleaning up a town after a tornado strikes? Want to ruck a bunch of gear a long distance over ground? It's going to take stamina and tone muscles to pull it off.

Raven's point about mental and physical "fitness" is dead on too.