PDA

View Full Version : Entertaining yourself and the kids

izzyscout21
11-24-2011, 05:32 AM
Moving this week got me to thinking.
My 2 year olds have been without Nick JR (i.e.: Dora, Diego, Yo Gabba Gabba, Olivia, and all those other toddler TV shows) for about a week now. We're going to be without cable until the beginning of the month.

Honestly, the kids are driving us crazy at this point. They want to watch Dora, and I have failed as a father. SHould have purchased dvd's of that annoying bilingual child.

Truth be told, If I wasn't busy unpacking, I'd be a little bored.

So, we get to the meat and potatoes. How do you plan to entertain yourself and your family? There's only so many games of Battleship I can play before I really sink the submarine down the john. My wife and I can only listen to each other talk for so long before she wants to kill me.

How do you plan on keeping your family from murdering each other?

msomnipotent
11-24-2011, 05:46 AM
I have some sudoku books stashed away, and rechargeable batteries for my daughter's portable DVD player and games. I have a power inverter in the minivan so we can hook up the Wii to the DVD system in the there and recharge the batteries if needed. I also have some games like travel Simon, checkers, and what-not in a closet. Other than that, I think that our entire family will be too busy trying to make do if things like the cars and power grid are down long enough. I also buy some board games every Christmas that we haven't opened yet.

If all else fails and the grid is still up, I send her and the dog to Gramma's house.

bacpacker
11-25-2011, 01:35 AM
No kids to entertain here. But we already play several games. Lots of various card games, Back Gammon/acey-ducey, checkers, monopoly, and my 2 personal favorites Risk and Chess.

We also have a lot of books, many of which haven't yet been read. We both have Kindle's and are in the process of loading them up with reading and educational material along with lots of PDF of various topics. I'm working on designing some kinda set up a small solar charger system for them and other battery powered gadgets, such as my comms gear and lighting.

mitunnelrat
11-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Reading is one of my prime entertainment pursuits too. In fact, I just had a major score from a friend who's moving out of state, and got a ready made library (over 250 books) on various subjects from military and world history, US history, shooting sports and reloading, North American game animals and hunting, fishing, trapping... among a few other topics. I kept a few aside for now, but the majority will be boxed up for a more appropriate time. Its gonna be great reading through them.

I also have various board games, some card games, and books on different hobbies that can be taken up without electricity. No kids now, so hopefully this'll all work for a bit.

Stg1swret
11-26-2011, 12:52 AM
i always was taught that fun should also be educational, games I played with my now adult children, were always geared that way. letter substitution games, crossword puzzels and other gamesof that nature. Try naming all the presidents, states and there capitals. Triva is also a big hit. Education and fun can go hand in hand.

Evolver
11-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Drawing and coloring books are good and just a suggestion when you first start buying crayons don't buy the jumbo pack of 250 colors, just get two or three boxes that just have six or so colors that way they're not complaining that bobby/sally has the color that they want and as they get older give them more colors. Home made or bought dot to dots are good too. Jigsaw puzzles, Tic Tac Toe, Hang man, treasure hunts.

Gunfixr
11-26-2011, 03:03 AM
Got lots of board games, got cards, other table top games that do not require anything electrical.
Plenty to read.
Hand crank radio.
Of course, our son is now 19, and our daughter is 13, so they don't require the constant attention that they used to. Our daughter can go to her room and occupy herself for hours.

izzyscout21
11-26-2011, 03:14 AM
I'm goin to have to figure out how to run a DVD player off a bank of car batteries. If my 2 aren't watching Dora, mass chaos ensues

bacpacker
11-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Get you a 400-1000watt inverter, hook it to the batteries, and plug in the DVD player.

izzyscout21
11-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Get you a 400-1000watt inverter, hook it to the batteries, and plug in the DVD player.

is it truly that easy?

Twitchy
11-27-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm goin to have to figure out how to run a DVD player off a bank of car batteries. If my 2 aren't watching Dora, mass chaos ensues

I wonder if a windup dvd player exists.... if so, they would have arms of steel! :D

bacpacker
11-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Yeah that will work to run most anything off batteries. The 2 big things you have to watch out for.
1) make sure the inverter is powerful enough (wattage) to run whatever you need to operate.
2) Make sure you have a reliable means to keep your batteries charged. The inverters are not 100% efficient in converting DC power to AC. Cheaper inverters are much worse than the high dollar ones used for wind, PV, or hydro conversion. And what your running will be comsuming power on top of the inverter.
Otherwise, based on the size of your inverter, the sky is the limit.

izzyscout21
11-27-2011, 09:10 PM
so what you are saying is to steal the battery out of every car I see at the side of the road.

Got it.

Thanks, BP. That is some good info to know. I had no idea about the inverters.

Twitchy
11-27-2011, 10:03 PM
so what you are saying is to steal the battery out of every car I see at the side of the road.

Got it.

Thanks, BP. That is some good info to know. I had no idea about the inverters.

So this is how i will know if izzy is in the area... All the car batteries are gone... LOL

Another option is to use: Philips PET741A 7" Widescreen LCD Portable DVD Player - Walmart.com (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-7-Portable-DVD-Player-Aqua/15026667?ci_sku=15026667&ci_src=14110944&sourceid=1500000000000003142050)

this thing is battery powered, just recharge the batteries (provided you use rechargeable batteries)

mollypup
11-29-2011, 12:45 PM
During the first few days of a SHTF scenario (a bad one let's say) I'll let the kids watch a few movies on the portable DVD player but after a while they're going to have to give up by far most of their electronic toys. Back to the old days with board games, crafts, dominoes, cards, and creative play. I bought a big tin of dominoes just yesterday. They're young, but will have to learn how to work more and become VERY vigilant to what's going on outside the home.

Sniper-T
11-29-2011, 01:15 PM
dominoes... lol! I must have had a thousand of them growing up. I built castles, cities, towers, etc for years... before I found out what all the dots were for... and what to do with them.

lol

Evolver
11-29-2011, 10:21 PM
dominoes... lol! I must have had a thousand of them growing up. I built castles, cities, towers, etc for years... before I found out what all the dots were for... and what to do with them.

lol

LOL Ditto!!! lmao

izzyscout21
11-30-2011, 02:26 AM
effing Legos.

I could play with thoe for hour myself.

sigma pete
12-29-2011, 04:14 AM
My youngest is on a Dora kick too and it's driving me crazy hearing the same videos over and over again. When I kick my 3 boys off the TV. It's Legos, more Legos, and even more Legos. When they bored of them, it's usually either wooden building blocks, coloring/painting, Beyblades, or those pull back to wind up toy cars/track.

Twitchy
12-29-2011, 07:09 AM
effing Legos.

god be thankful you dont have boys.... when i was a younger one i used to put those little construction signs from the construction sets up over the house and leave them... Dad soon learned the house was a mine field that would be rather painful if you weren't careful... I used to do it with legos too... hehehe...

realist
12-29-2011, 01:40 PM
NO Legos, they hurt too fricking much when you step on them. It is hard to to keep from not teaching your kids to swear when you have Legos to step on....... Cards are great of all ages. I agree with dominoes they are great and they don't hurt as much as Legos. Checkers and poker chips can be good also. Cards are good for all ages. Teach you kids how to play Black Jack and it will force them to count. There are other card games out there that will help also.

Sniper-T
12-29-2011, 05:05 PM
I don't have kids, but do have a pile of board games, cards, and books. three things that the wife and I love to do.

I grew up without the video games, and tv consisted of 3 snowy channels. My parents famous words were: "Go outside and play or I'll give you something to do". I don't see the need that some people have with video games, dvd's and tv as the 'only' way to keep their kids busy.

A couple people that might show up post shtf do have kids, and rely entirely too much on these electronic diversions. IMO. they will be in for a rude awakening if it is a power outage event, because I will NOT be running my generator just to charge games, or watch tv. If I am running it for something else, and there is extra wattage, then ok... maybe!

Dunno, maybe I'm old fashioned.

Grumpy Old Man
12-29-2011, 05:55 PM
effing Legos.

Izzy, you need to bring the family out here to visit. I'll put you up at my place! Legoland is only 1 hour away (close by SoCal standards). Also the San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park. I'll treat your family to a whale watching trip while you and I go out on a 3/4 day rock cod trip. That will keep you all entertained with cherished memories of better times.

Can you tell I love being a Grandpa (the next most important job in the world after being a father)?

izzyscout21
12-29-2011, 06:31 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe one of these days when life settles down a bit, I'll take you up on that. The kids would LOVE Legoland. My wife has always wanted to whale watch.I need a vacation

GunnerMax
12-31-2011, 08:20 PM
give the kids a can and tell them to kick it in the yard. Geez

:cool:

GunnerMax
12-31-2011, 08:22 PM
BTW I have a bin of about 10-15 pounds of lego's that I dont use, and are for sale. Or for trade for some cool stuff :)

Sniper-T
12-31-2011, 09:38 PM
^
build a large sphere and fire it from a trebuchet?

lol

izzyscout21
01-03-2012, 01:18 PM
BTW I have a bin of about 10-15 pounds of lego's that I dont use, and are for sale. Or for trade for some cool stuff :)

I would take you up on that if I could trust them not to eat them. We have to stick to Duplos and the Big Mega Blocks right now. God forbid what madness could occur if I bought them tinkertoys at this age............

Sniper-T
01-03-2012, 02:37 PM
^ you can buy them now, for later usage...

izzyscout21
01-03-2012, 02:57 PM
My wife would kill me. I'm not sure she's ready to accept the fact that eventually, they will grow up.

Plus, my kids are like little bloodhounds. They would find them. Period. ER here we come.