PDA

View Full Version : Dysentery

izzyscout21
11-24-2011, 05:41 AM
This is both a medical issue as well as a food and hygiene issue.

For all of you guys who have never had it,dysentery is a nasty critter. For those of us that have had it ( I had it twice) , it's an experience no one wants to repeat. You can get the condition from improperly filtered water, unsanitarily prepared/ undercooked food, or just being a dirty little boy. I know that many of us who have deployed have contracted it at least once or know someone who has.

It causes severe gastro-intestinal problems and is very unpleasant and can take you out of the fight very quickly.
So, it should go without saying, in a SHTF situation, do your best to not let your sanitary conditions deterioratre to an unsafe lavel.
Let me put it in simple terms:
Prep your food correctly, filter or treat your water, and wash your nasty ass.

realist
11-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Eloquently said..............do it right or you will be in deep sh.....

The Stig
11-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Was watching a documentary on the Battle of El Alamein in WWII.

The British troops used an ammo crate with part of the lid hacked off to construct a make-shit toilet. Place that over a hole in the ground and do your business. The best part was a burlap sack tacked to the lid that could be placed over the opening on the seat to prevent flies from being attracted.

The Germans just did their business where ever the mood struck and didn't even bother to dig a hole. The result was a ton of flies that would land on a turd, fly around and then land on a solider food. Bingo....they got dysentery and it took them out of the fight.

Gonna be pretty hard to deal with the aftermath of a shtf event if you're weak, dehydrated and over in the weeds crapping every three minutes.

LUNCHBOX
01-22-2012, 04:35 AM
I took a field sanitary course before I went to Desert Storm (we all got cross trained in mutiple uses) There is alot more to keeping your "shit" a certain distance from your AO (area of operation) This and alot more issues will come up when it falls on individuals shoulders.

Sniper-T
01-22-2012, 08:05 AM
When we are backwoods camping, my wife and I make our own locations. find a suitable location, both down wind and down in elevation from our camp. dig a hole... depth dependant on our planned stay. |Use it, cover over the offensive with dirt/branches, and carry on.

Even with a good coverage with dirt, there are always flies around.... I hadn't thought of that... Neither of us has Ever gotten sick, but it certainly drives the point home about making sure to cover/tamp well

Thanks for the reminder!

GunnerMax
01-25-2012, 06:18 AM
New U.S. Military Portable Latrine Box, Olive Drab, Military Misc, Brand Not Specified, Govt Liq Government Liquidation at Sportsman's Guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/new-us-military-portable-latrine-box-olive-drab.aspx?a=815864) ?

If i had the space, I would get one of these :)

mitunnelrat
01-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Ah, here's something I learned the hard way. I was down and out for 5 days from this, and I spent 6 hours in the ER.

Two years ago I pulled a quart of water out of a local river a couple days after a storm introduced farm (manure, and?) runoff about 20 miles downstream, and it killed off everything in a 15 mile stretch. Its possible my filter didn't block all of the nasties.

Its also just as possible my filter didn't get stored properly between uses. I thought I had followed the instructions for care and use, but can't say for sure it wasn't the issue, so I'm throwing it out as a reminder here.

I started out thinking I was coming down with the flu, on a Friday night. By Sunday I couldn't keep even 2 oz. of water down, and I was incredibly weak. Without a ride and the hospital available that could have been very, very ugly. My primary Dr. was surprised I didn't get admitted. It was that bad.

Sniper-T
01-25-2012, 05:28 PM
^
glad to hear you made it through that ok... question for everyone though...

Same situation, either you or a loved one, POST SHTF, and no medical facilities are available

What do YOU do??

apssbc
01-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Rest and relaxation. Keep them warm and in the most comfortable position for them. Try and get fluids down however you'll have to let it take its course. My grandfather uses chive for upset stomach and other GI issues so that could be tried.

I have fluids so I would start a iv and give some fluids. Also have some anti emetics I can administer to stop the nausea. Other than that you have to make them comfortable and try to get them to keep something down.

Stormfeather
01-27-2012, 07:08 PM
I took a field sanitary course before I went to Desert Storm (we all got cross trained in mutiple uses) There is alot more to keeping your "shit" a certain distance from your AO (area of operation) This and alot more issues will come up when it falls on individuals shoulders.

Remember the "Poop Bugs" over there? First time I experienced that out in the desert, I was ready to shoot something til I realized what it was!

ETA: for those that dont know, the "poop bugs" were these armored creepy bugs that if you was out in the dunes taking a dump, would raspy crawl up and start chowing down on your poo as you was doing your business. They made weird sounds, and you could actually hear them walking, as their legs rubbed against their armored body. Very. . .disconcerting.

Oh yea, dysentary. . . very bad. Wash up before/after touching nasty funky butt, filter water, never trust an insurgent who says the water is totally potable.

The Stig
01-28-2012, 12:40 PM
ETA: for those that dont know, the "poop bugs" were these armored creepy bugs that if you was out in the dunes taking a dump, would raspy crawl up and start chowing down on your poo as you was doing your business. They made weird sounds, and you could actually hear them walking, as their legs rubbed against their armored body. Very. . .disconcerting.

FUCK.THAT.NOISE

Yea....I'd have to have an armed perimeter guard so I can work my magic in peace. I can poop through M4 fire but armored bugs eating my shit will shut down operations tighter than white bread and water.

Gunfixr
01-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Also, for those who didn't know, human shit also draws predators, so coyotes, wolves, etc, will come around if you're doing your deed in the woods.

Poop bugs, wow.

izzyscout21
01-30-2012, 03:30 AM
yeah........poop bugs were really trippy........

Stormfeather
01-30-2012, 03:57 AM
wow, just realized this topic has been seriously diverted. . . .

LUNCHBOX
01-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Storm, this whole thread has been shitty....lol.

First you have something bad (poops) happen--then you think taking a crap will make you feel better and you get attacked by bugs or worse. That's awsome.

Gunfixr
01-30-2012, 10:19 PM
You want diversion, I can tell you what happens if the lessons from the first post aren't followed.

Just know that if we're all sitting about eating, and I throw mine down and say it "tastes like shit", it does indeed taste like shit.