PDA

View Full Version : Pool shock is the better alternative to Bleach.

Evolver
11-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Pool Shock (Granular Calcium Hypochlorite) is the better long term alternative to Bleach because of it's short self life. Bleach only has a shelf life of one year and many people are surprised when they look at the expiration date on they're jug next to the washing machine and find it's out of date.
Granular Calcium Hypochlorite has an indefinite shelf life, goes along way and is easy to shore.

This came from the EPA web site.

http://www.epa.gov/OGWDW/faq/emerg.html

You can use granular calcium hypochlorite to disinfect water.
Add and dissolve one heaping teaspoon of high-test granular calcium hypochlorite (approximately ¼ ounce) for each two gallons of water, or 5 milliliters (approximately 7 grams) per 7.5 liters of water. The mixture will produce a stock chlorine solution of approximately 500 milligrams per liter, since the calcium hypochlorite has available chlorine equal to 70 percent of its weight. To disinfect water, add the chlorine solution in the ratio of one part of chlorine solution to each 100 parts of water to be treated. This is roughly equal to adding 1 pint (16 ounces) of stock chlorine to each 12.5 gallons of water or (approximately ½ liter to 50 liters of water) to be disinfected. To remove any objectionable chlorine odor, aerate the disinfected water by pouring it back and forth from one clean container to another.

As they say Prep smarter not harder. :)

Sniper-T
11-24-2011, 02:03 PM
If you check your yellow pages... you should be able to find a supplier of all pool stuff. Not the dealer, and not the local Walmart. I buy mine (for my hottub) by the 5 gallon pail, for less than what Walmart sells the 1 gallon size for.

Gunfixr
11-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Hmmm, something to keep in mind.

izzyscout21
11-24-2011, 09:21 PM
We had a pool growing up. I would have never have thought about that one

bacpacker
11-25-2011, 02:32 AM
Excellent info. Never gave any thought to using that. Never had a pool, so no expereince with it.
I think I know where a pool supply place is near here. I'll proabably be stocking some of that pretty soon. Copy and paste the mixture and print it out for future use as well.

izzyscout21
11-25-2011, 02:50 AM
BP, there is a pool supply place right ther in town next to the KFC and Home Depot. I think it's called "The Pool PLace".

bacpacker
11-25-2011, 03:13 AM
That's the one I was thinking about.