PDA

View Full Version : Canning Butter

RedJohn
03-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Use any butter that is on sale. Lesser quality butter requires more shaking (see #5 below), but the results are the same as with the expensive brands.

Heat pint jars in a 250 degree oven for 20 minutes, without rings or seals. One pound of butter slightly more than fills one pint jar, so if you melt 11 pounds of butter, heat 12 pint jars. A roasting pan works well for holding the pint jars while in the oven.

While the jars are heating, melt butter slowly until it comes to a slow boil. Using a large spatula, stir the bottom of the pot often to keep the butter from scorching. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes at least: a good simmer time will lessen the amount of shaking required (see #5 below). Place the lids in a small pot and bring to a boil, leaving the lids in simmering water until needed.

Stirring the melted butter from the bottom to the top with a soup ladle or small pot with a handle, pour the melted butter carefully into heated jars through a canning jar funnel. Leave 3/4" of head space in the jar, which allows room for the shaking process.

Carefully wipe off the top of the jars, then get a hot lid from the simmering water, add the lid and ring and tighten securely. Lids will seal as they cool. Once a few lids "ping," shake while the jars are still warm, but cool enough to handle easily, because the butter will separate and become foamy on top and white on the bottom. In a few minutes, shake again, and repeat until the butter retains the same consistency throughout the jar.

At this point, while still slightly warm, put the jars into a refrigerator. While cooling and hardening, shake again, and the melted butter will then look like butter and become firm. This final shaking is very important! Check every 5 minutes and give the jars a little shake until they are hardened in the jar! Leave in the refrigerator for an hour.

Canned butter should store for 3 years or longer on a cool, dark shelf. Canned butter does not "melt" again when opened, so it does not need to be refrigerated upon opening, provided it is used within a reasonable length of time.

alaska
03-17-2011, 08:46 PM
You have done this your self?

RedJohn
03-17-2011, 10:31 PM
No, not as yet. But I will surely try soon.

cwconnertx
03-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Butter is really valuable, it is very calorically dense, adds good flavor, and allows you to cook food in a manner other than boiling.

With a lot of people planning to store large amounts of rice, beans, wheat, and other dried foods, a little butter can go a long way to getting a better diet when you have to start using the dried goods.

Grumpy Old Man
04-22-2011, 05:46 PM
I might add that you will want to use a jar that is sized to your needs, because once you open it it has a limited life without refrigeration (think 1 week).
For myself, as all my kids and grandkids live in Colorado and Missouri, I can butter in half pint jelly jars. That is realistically what I would use in a weeks time. If you have a large family and use butter more quickly than others do, you may want to consider using quart jars for your needs. Also, because I am a seasoned citizen, I have used unsalted butter for several years. I actually like the taste better than salted, and if I desire I can season to taste during usage.

I've only been canning butter for a couple of years, so I can't say what the shelf life is, but I have opened butter from my first attempt in Spring 2009, and it was still good. YMMV

RedJohn
04-22-2011, 06:00 PM
You have a very good point here. Canning, Freezing, storing must match your needs.

CheriG22
04-24-2011, 07:52 PM
I love to get the butter on sale and can it. Oldest I have used was three years old, and was sitll good. Unsalted is better I found out, because you are taking the water out by simmering it and concentrating it. Found that one out the hard way, lol.

Cheri

ladyhk13
05-26-2013, 05:20 AM
Have any of you used the butter you canned from years ago now? It should be fairly old by now and I'm wondering how it's been holding up. Do you know what the effect of clarifying would have on the butter? I would love to do some but didn't want to try this back when the original post came out not knowing the long term results would be but guess it's been long enough now. Status report please!!!

idahobob
05-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Have any of you used the butter you canned from years ago now? It should be fairly old by now and I'm wondering how it's been holding up. Do you know what the effect of clarifying would have on the butter? I would love to do some but didn't want to try this back when the original post came out not knowing the long term results would be but guess it's been long enough now. Status report please!!!

Our oldest is five years old now. Eats just fine. You also have to keep in mindthat we keep ours stored in a dark cold room where the temp does not exceed 65 degrees, even when the outside temp gets to 100.

I contributed to the first post on the subject, and have not changed anything in the process.

We can salted butter, 'cause I cannot stand the taste of un-salted.

As to simmering it, we only get the temp up to melt it into a liquid. We are not trying to clarify it or make Gee.

Bob
III

ladyhk13
01-20-2015, 12:33 AM
I canned more butter today and i got sidetracked on one of the batches so forgot to shake it the last time and it separated a bit. Does anyone know if I can reheat it before I get ready to use it and shake it back up to remix it?

Sniper-T
01-20-2015, 02:21 AM
I'm disappointed... several of the pints I canned turned foul... I mean really Foul. Not sure what I did wrong, as I followed the op's 'recipe' per datum.

:(

ElevenBravo
01-20-2015, 03:13 AM
Please do let us know what your discoveries are!
EB

ladyhk13
01-20-2015, 03:24 AM
Sniper did they change color in the jar so you could tell they were bad or did you have to open them to find out and how old were they?

Stormfeather
01-20-2015, 04:45 AM
I opened one of ours and they were fine, going to be using it this week. Age was 4 years.

ladyhk13
01-20-2015, 06:11 AM
I love canning butter! I just did 25 jars today, would have done more but I had to get the stew beef done (still working on it right now) and I have 3 large tubs of turkey broth that I've been waiting since last night to thaw so I can do it too. Didn't expect to get so much broth from the Christmas turkey! Gonna be a long night.

Sniper-T
01-20-2015, 11:24 AM
This goes back a while now, opened one after about 6 months, and gagged at the smell. Checked the rest and they were all bad. Not sure what I did wrong. :(

ladyhk13
01-21-2015, 02:03 AM
Hmmmm. Hope mine don't mess up. Guess it's a hit or miss thing since it's not being processed like other foods.

Sniper-T
01-21-2015, 04:00 AM
I'll try again... but a smaller batch next time, and I may split it, clarified and not.

ladyhk13
01-21-2015, 11:33 PM
We're the seals still good or had they popped?

Sniper-T
01-22-2015, 01:32 AM
all seals were good. I expected them to be perfect... I was shocked that they soured!