PDA

View Full Version : I would like Gift Exchange Ideas

Foghorn
11-25-2011, 05:14 PM
My in laws have a gift exchange every Christmas. Everyone writes down three things they would like. You draw a name/list out of a hat and go shopping. The limit is $60 total. Great folks and a good time at the gift exchange.

To say my in laws are not prep minded would be an understatement. Each year I try to list three prep usefull items for my choices to get them to think about prep just a little and to help me. I've learned that it is helpful if I am pretty specific. (don't ask for wool socks, ask for a over the calf, heavy, brand might help, if you don't specify you might get a pair of dress socks to be worn with your best suit-ask me how I know) I rented a suit for the last wedding and live on a farm.

My thoughts this year are mabey a multi tool, flashlight, or ? I'm not stuck on anything, just looking for ideas.

I'd like to hear your suggestions. List to be turned in at a dinner this Saturday evening. Care to help?

Doug

Dropy
11-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Multi-tool are always nice. And also the flashlight idea. Maybe ask for a very specific of either.

izzyscout21
11-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Flashlight wise, a Surefire g2 or G3 nitrolon with extra batteries would keep it well within the budget. Outstanding lights for the money

Also a nice Gerber ( I like the Suspension) or leatherman multi tool would keep it pretty close

Sniper-T
11-25-2011, 06:37 PM
a gift card to your favorite prepping store?

bacpacker
11-25-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm with izzy for the surefire. Awesome lights. If you dont have a headlamp, you might consider a Petzel ticca plus. Petzel is a good brand used by cavers for years. I have 3 and want the Ticca plus.
Haven't saw you on before welcome.

izzyscout21
11-25-2011, 07:48 PM
^ to go along with what brother Bacpacker said, the Petzl TacTikka is another great headlamp.

Foghorn
11-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions and thank you bacpacker for the welcome. I've been around for a while, just use PM much more than posts.

The head lamp was a super idea that I had not thought of. The surefire flashlight looks great too but I had to go with another as I couldn't find a store close to my in laws that carrys the surefire. Here is what I chose:
1 Petzl TacTikka Plus LED Headlamp
2 Leatherman Blast Multitool
3 Fenix Everyday LD20 Flashlight

The thought keeps running through my mind that I'm going to end up with a toilet plunger. I'll let you know.
Doug

Dropy
11-26-2011, 03:37 PM
OOO toilet plungers are handy for helping to pry peoples heads out of there rear's.

Just saying..

bacpacker
11-26-2011, 03:50 PM
The Fenix lights are probably a close second to the Surefire's IMO. They aare good lights.
I can always use a back up plunger.
:)

Dropy
11-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Yeah, plungers are great tools.

Imagine, your setting up your BOL for incoming possibilities. You got some clear area around you though so that is good. You grab a dozen or so plungers and walk out 100 meters/yards. Stick a plunger down. GO another 100 do it again till you reach cover. Now from the BOL you got yardage markers set up. And by coloring em you can even use em as location markers so as to communicate with your group.

Sounds corny i know. But for people who do not shoot 1000 rounds a month, and know how to calculate yardage ( or just not very good at it) this can be a time, and possibly life saver. Ya dont have to spend the extra second trying to thing about it. Just dope and shoot on the fly.

And who is gonna stop and take or even worry about a dang plunger laying around. Most people will avoid it like plague becasue we all know what they are for. =)

I am the sort of person who is part Magyver i guesse. Give me a turd and broken brrom handle and i will find an effective use for em both.

ladyhk13
11-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Hi there and welcome! If they aren't preppers and you are jumping in with both feet with the gifts they may be a bit confused or kind of push back at you. Maybe if you think on the smaller practical side it might be better? Was reading Dropy's post and his measuring out made me think of reflective tape...if you have to go out in the deep woods either to bug out for a temporary period or are tracking, it is good to use, since you live on a farm though I would think that any of the items listed by the guys would be "practical" items for you and could be explained away as needed things and since they aren't preppers just don't bring up why you want them.

msomnipotent
11-26-2011, 05:21 PM
I used to ask for Amazon or Farm and Fleet gift certificates, but both sides of the family decided on a no gift certificate rule this year. It makes it hard because a lot of people on my husband's side do not like ordered online and pickins can be slim here. Wal-mart sells Mountain House meals, so maybe some of those? Some specific books or maybe first aid items that can be bought at a drug store?

ladyhk13
11-26-2011, 05:28 PM
MsO good idea on the books...how about a subscription to something like Grit or Mother Earth or one of the mags along those lines?

realist
11-26-2011, 11:25 PM
I want a Kimber Warrior 45 acp and a Noveski 6.8 mm as well as............what oh sorry wrong thread..........Santa where are you?

izzyscout21
11-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Give me a turd and broken brrom handle and i will find an effective use for em both.

I expect to see pictures.

Dropy
11-27-2011, 03:22 PM
I expect to see pictures.

No problem Izzy. I can use the turd to contaminate an enemy water supply, or to just make a person on guard turn his head from the stench giving me a moment extra of surprise.

The broom handle i can use to poke out eyes, set a snare, make a fishing pole, tender for a fire, splint a leg/arm.... i can go on.

Another good us for Turds are ya get one sorta fresh and smear on a vehicles exhaus manifold. It will stink something AWFUL!! Makes useing said vehicle for patrols VERY unfun. Expect said vehicle to run with windows down and make lots of breathing stops. Setup ambush accordingly. There is just the issue of getting in and applying said turd to exhaust....

Also on the subject of turds... On the plains in the old days turds were the fire wood cuz there arent many trees up here. Turds were also used to make shelter. We are talking cow/buffalo pies for this part.

bacpacker
11-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Very good Dropy.

Whoever the TITLE ELF is, I think you may have just earned your own title!

izzyscout21
11-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Such a "Turd connoisseur" you are. I'd never thought it was good for anything but flinging

eagle326
11-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Careful Dropy the Mad Genius could be watching. and you never know what might show up under your name.

JustAPrepper
11-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Very good Dropy.

Whoever the TITLE ELF is, I think you may have just earned your own title!

ROFLMAO!! I was just thinking the EXACT same thing!:D

Evolver
11-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Careful Dropy the Mad Genius could be watching. and you never know what might show up under your name.

Well it happened... ROTFL Too Good!!!

Twitchy
11-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Damn i want a cool title!

izzyscout21
12-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Damn i want a cool title!

looks like you got your wish

Evolver
12-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Hahahahaha!!!

Sniper-T
12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
hmmm... dots... I wonder what dots my title is refering to?

:cool: