PDA

View Full Version : Transportation Points to Ponder

Stg1swret
11-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Many here will be Bugging Out should the Schummer Hit the Fan, here are some points to ponder in no particular order.

1. If you are bugging out from and urban area plan on the trip taking 4x as long, unless you are the first one leaving.
2. Radiators are not bullet proof, and doors provide little protection in a firefight.
3. Exposed fuel containers are bullet magnets.
4. Have easy access to the spare tire(s)
5.Ground clearence is measured from the lowest projection of the under carriage
6. 4 wheel drive is not 4 wheel traction
7. Plan on walking a lot.
8. The shortest way there is the slowest way there.
9. When in doubt, stop and look at the map.

helomech
11-25-2011, 11:40 PM
I have bugged out from a bunch of hurricanes, and hope to never have to do it again. A 2 hour drive took 12 hours. I moved away from the coast, to a place I hope to be able to bug in.

Twitchy
11-27-2011, 09:00 PM
I have bugged out from a bunch of hurricanes, and hope to never have to do it again. A 2 hour drive took 12 hours. I moved away from the coast, to a place I hope to be able to bug in.

Christ... hurricanes - you would think the sheeple would be at least marginally prepared for them in of all places, FLORIDA...

The Stig
11-27-2011, 10:08 PM
One that could be added to your list:

If you are likely to drive your vehicle off-road it is probably wise to try driving it off-road beforehand to see how well it performs instead of waiting until being in the middle of a shtf event.

izzyscout21
11-27-2011, 10:34 PM
nothing like high-centering your vic the first time you try to go off-road in an emergency.

Twitchy
11-27-2011, 10:48 PM
nothing like high-centering your vic the first time you try to go off-road in an emergency.

oye, got this post wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off! ;)

izzyscout21
11-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Crown Vics are indestructible though... However, I prefer Silverado's or Suburbans! :D 4x4 of course... :rolleyes:

vic= Army talk for vehicle

Twitchy
11-27-2011, 10:53 PM
vic= Army talk for vehicle

well i feel like a retard about now...

izzyscout21
11-27-2011, 11:01 PM
well i feel like a retard about now...

I should have been more clear.........nothing against the crown vic;)

Sniper-T
11-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Great info!

Also remember... the more weight you put into your vic, the less clearance you have. So if you're going to test out your rig offroading, do it with a similar load to what you expect to be bugging out with.

Make sure your tires are load-rated for what you expect to be carrying! and your shocks/springs/axles/differentials. I do some serious upgrades to my trucks when I first buy them, and have scaled my 1/4 ton Tacoma with over 2500 pounds in the box. My buddy has the same truck as my last one, unmodifies, and he bottomed out with less than 1300.

Tires... it was mentioned to have THEM handy... that's right... plural! You will be SOL with 2 flats. Leave the one under the vehicle where it is... just add a couple more somewhere handier. the third can be an emergency one.

Practice changing your tires. On uneven ground, in inclement weather. Just because you can rotate them in your garage with a wall full of tools doesn't mean you can do it at night, in the rain, on a mud road. And now do it as if the hounds of hell are barking up your ass.

The only exposure a lot of people have to 4x4ing is what they see on TV, even though they drive one to work and to the mall everyday. Do not believe what you see on tv... They are not indestructible machines that can do anything!

No, you cannot bounce over curbs at 50 MPH.
No, you cannot jump overpasses.
No, you cannot push down 6" trees.
No, you cannot rip in and out of ditches at 50 MPH.
No, you cannot splash through 3-4 foot deep creeks at 50 MPH.

Yes, you can slowly crawl over just about anything (that your clearance will allow)
Yes, you can push down 3 inch trees
Yes, the same trees that you just pushed down will drag right across your undercarriage, tearing brake lines, fuel lines, etc.
Yes, 2 or three of those trees will lift your vehicle off the ground and strand you.
Yes, you can crawl through 3-4 feet of water (depending on your vehicle)
Yes, you can crawl in and out of ditches. but remember the angles you are utilizing. 30-60 is best. 45 is optimal. A shallow attempt can cause a rollover. and too steep an attempt can get you stuck.

Best advice... If you have a 4X4 as your BOV... go out and play 'stuck' Get a couple people together with 4X4's get some tow straps, and get out and see what your rig can and can't do before you need to rely on it for your life.

IMO

helomech
11-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Christ... hurricanes - you would think the sheeple would be at least marginally prepared for them in of all places, FLORIDA...

Well you can't prepare for a big one if you live near the coast. All you can do is leave. And that is where the problem comes in, everyone leaving.

Twitchy
11-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Well you can't prepare for a big one if you live near the coast. All you can do is leave. And that is where the problem comes in, everyone leaving.

valid point... Im far enough inland to where it would have to be a big one to do much damage...

helomech
11-28-2011, 09:09 PM
valid point... Im far enough inland to where it would have to be a big one to do much damage...

And leaving for every storm that MIGHT hit is a royal PITA. I think we ran from 4 storms one year and only one actually hit. I got to where I stayed unless it was a cat 4, anything else I just stayed because leaving was to much trouble.

bacpacker
11-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Excellent post Sniper. Like most things, the best way to learn something is to do it. 4 wheelin is a lot of fun, but you can have serious ramifications if you screw up. Much better to learn what's possible and what's not before you REALLY need it.
Like he said, slow is the way to go. Scout out your approach and departure routes before you hit a questionable area. Pick your lines and take your time.

Sniper-T
12-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I didn't get a picture of it... but was out hunting/fartiing around on the weekend. Pushed a new trail through the bush with my truck. chainsawed any bigger trees, drove over smaller ones, buddy can run through with a brush cutter now and we will have a new trail for hunting next year....

But....
When we got back to camp... he noticed a stick sticking out through the grill of my truck. about a 1" diameter. I pop the hood and its pressed tight into the rad, and jammed hard into it. I needed a 2X4 to break it, so I could remove it. had I popped the rad, I could've jury rigged it back together to get home, but it would've been pricey to replace later.

Might have to put a bush bar on this truck

ladyhk13
12-13-2011, 05:26 AM

Helo, guess you didn't live in FL long enough to learn the words "HURRICANE PARTY?" We never left...just boarded up, stocked up the booze and food and rode it out. Lived there since before that damn Mouse came to town so we had lot's of practice! LOL

p.s. Lived in Vero Beach, Titusville, Hudson and Bradenton....all Coastal towns.

Sniper-T
12-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Interesting thought there lady... depending how close you are to that damn mouse hole... when SHTF... you could have a huge number of tourists down there with very little except a pile of cash, nowhere to go, and no way to get there. After a couple weeks for them to thin out. Those parking lots are going to be a smorgasborg of stuff.

ladyhk13
12-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Yeah, Fl was a nice place until that damn Rat moved in!

LUNCHBOX
01-23-2012, 10:19 AM
I just finished this whole thread and not once did someone tell me how to drag my horse trailer loaded with gear through the woods....lol. I am kind of looking at this issue a different way. This is purely guesswork thinking but I'm going to try to keep it on solid ground/pavement....just an idea but I've seen really big trucks push smaller trucks/cars out of the way. I'll leave it at that.

mitunnelrat
01-24-2012, 04:45 AM
Makes me wish my parent's still had their semi... lol

Seriously though, I should have learned how to drive that thing when I had the chance.

Sniper-T
01-24-2012, 05:14 AM
They're not so tough... just hit a truckstop and wait. someone will pull in, leave it running and walk into the store. slide on over, and take the helm!

lol
Seriously, I learnt to drive big rig by hitch hiking cross country.

LUNCHBOX
01-24-2012, 09:45 AM
I worked for a company that had a few used for delivery of some large items. I worked nights and would have to move them in and out of the shop. Granted I'm not going to win any tractor pull but I could get it where I was headed.

TroubleShooter
01-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Granted I'm not going to win any tracker pull but I could get it where I was headed.

Just figure.............Use 5.5 mile to the gallon as your base number to estimate the distance you can travel on full tanks..Most get better mileage, but there are a few that don't.

LUNCHBOX
01-24-2012, 10:17 AM
^^With that comment, I meant that my shifting technique is less than smooth but I like the information on the mileage. Thanks.

TroubleShooter
01-24-2012, 10:23 AM
They're not so tough... just hit a truckstop and wait. someone will pull in, leave it running and walk into the store. slide on over, and take the helm!

lol
Seriously, I learnt to drive big rig by hitch hiking cross country.

Good in theory , times have changed............Homeland Security is pushing for the trucking industry to have real time tracking on trucks, pretty much all companies are slowly enacting security measures. There several different systems out there to shut the truck down via computer or driver handheld remote, especially those who handle the hazardous / flammable cargo...Even engine manufactuors are building it into the engine ECM, so you can real time monitor your equipment and adjust parameters or troubleshoot on the fly .. Hell ..........even buy here , pay here car lots are putting remote shutdowns on the cars they sell..

Sniper-T
01-24-2012, 11:31 AM
^ true that!!

We have hundreds of thousands of pounds of materials delivered and picked up from my work each day, except for the small delivery pickup trucks, we can online track where almost every truck is, including a lot of the city runners. Sux for the drivers though, they can't even stop for a coffee or a leak without someone knowing

ladyhk13
01-25-2012, 05:19 AM
Makes me wish my parent's still had their semi... lol

Seriously though, I should have learned how to drive that thing when I had the chance.

Just like driving a manual pick up truck...only bigger and a lot more gears. If you can drive a manual you can drive a big rig....just remember that on the road "he who weighs more has the right of way" so you never have to slow down first!!!!

bacpacker
01-25-2012, 12:57 PM
That and having to allow much more. Space for turns and lane changes. When i first got into driving a rig, i almost pulled a 53' flatbed over this guys hood up in Baltimore. I wish i had a picture of his face,priceless.

FL-Jeeper
10-09-2012, 02:11 AM
/snip
Practice changing your tires. On uneven ground
/snip

Best advice... If you have a 4X4 as your BOV... go out and play 'stuck' Get a couple people together with 4X4's get some tow straps, and get out and see what your rig can and can't do before you need to rely on it for your life.

IMO

Brother, I'm pickin up what you're puttin down but I gotta disagree with that first lil bit. Raising a vehicle on uneven ground can be very dangerous. Three tires & a jack can have surprisingly little traction & stability on the slightest of grades... more so if the ground is wet. While certain provisions can be made to minimize the risk such as securing the vehicle with straps, chains & even ropes, risk of the vehicle falling off its perch are high. If one has the option, in any regard, even if it means temporary makeshift repair to get there, one should attempt to maneuver the vehicle onto a firm, level ground before jacking.

Your second point is spot on & right up my alley. I love off-roading & am very active in the local off-road scene & as my crowd tends to push their rigs (some highly modified, most moderately so) we get to run a lot of winch lines, snatch blocks & straps. Once in a great while we'll have to pull off a multi-line pull with multiple winches & vehicles to complete the recovery, be it the side of a hill, the bottom of a mud hole~ or the low tide line... good times! :D

Sniper-T
10-09-2012, 02:11 PM
I still stand by my statement... You don't always have the luxury of blowing a tire on smooth level pavement. If you're into 4wheelin, you know yourself. Sure it isn't the safest way, but I'd rather learn by doing it when it wasn't critical than when it was. If you're on a slope, chock your tires well, support your jack, even tying it in place. Make sure you or your parts don't go underneath, nor in a crush zone, get the old one off, and the new one on, quick... but safe.

Probably something like 70%+ of the roads I regularly traverse are not paved, and many of them little more than 1-1/2 lane mud. and that is if I'm behaving myself. When I am out hunting, all bets are off as to where I may have to change a tire. Including on the ice on the middle of a lake or river.

FL-Jeeper
10-09-2012, 07:51 PM
I still stand by my statement... You don't always have the luxury of blowing a tire on smooth level pavement. If you're into 4wheelin, you know yourself. Sure it isn't the safest way, but I'd rather learn by doing it when it wasn't critical than when it was. If you're on a slope, chock your tires well, support your jack, even tying it in place. Make sure you or your parts don't go underneath, nor in a crush zone, get the old one off, and the new one on, quick... but safe.

I hear ya man, I was simply emphasizing safety and the scenario in my mind was likely much more extreme than what you may have been trying to relate or had in your mind... 'course I could be way off base. Anyhow, regardless of the scenario, you're no good to nobody if you got a 5,000 lb truck on your head :) Safety first, second & third!

Sniper-T
10-09-2012, 08:46 PM
...you're no good to nobody if you got a 5,000 lb truck on your head ...!

I HATE when that happens!!

:mad: