PDA

View Full Version : Broody hen?

helomech
11-26-2011, 07:47 PM
I had 3 broody hens 2 of them hatched their eggs. The third should have hatched either yesteday or today. If they don't hatch what should I do? Put new eggs under her, or try to break her of her brood? BTW she did get confused one day and was off the nest for a while. Not sure if that was enough for them to not hatch.

helomech
11-28-2011, 01:54 AM
Wow, no one. Well I almost threw away all the eggs tonight, but decided to candle one. Well there was a chick moving around inside. I had all the eggs gathered up to be thrown away before I decided to candle one. Luckily I didn't.

Foghorn
11-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Glad to hear you candled your eggs before throwing them away. Chickens can go several days past the due date. I've had them go 26 days before. Keep us posted.
Doug

helomech
11-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks Doug, checking on her every now and then

helomech
12-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Ended up with a total of 29 chicks on three hens. They are doing great, the first batch is now over 2 weeks old and getting big.

bacpacker
12-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Very cool! I'm looking forward to getting started raising the young chicks.

How often do you change roosters? I know inbreeding will cause many problems.

helomech
12-05-2011, 12:02 AM
My chickens are only about 7 months old, so I have not even considered changing roosters yet. I have 3 roosters right now, so there should be a good enough mix. I think I have another hen going broody right now. She sat in a nest box all day, but went to the roost tonight. I have a feeling she will be broody in a day or so.