PDA

View Full Version : Poor Person's Night Vison Goggles - Today Only!

mollypup
11-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Woot® : One Day, One Deal (http://www.woot.com/)

I bought 2 pairs.

Gunfixr
11-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Those are ok, certainly better than nothing, but a couple of caveats.
First, they don't see far, so keep that in mind.
They tend to be reliant on their IR light source, so it stays on a lot, or sometimes cannot be turned off. This IR light source can be seen by any other night vision for some distance, as it's essentially an IR flashlight.
On these civilian models, the IR light isn't s true IR light in that it's wavelength is on the edge of the visible spectrum. What that means is that if you take it off and look at the front of it with the light on, you can see a dim red glow emanating from the light. You want to take it out at night, and see how far away it's noticeable. That's how far away that light will give you away in the dark.

mollypup
11-28-2011, 07:25 PM
I bought them as Christmas presents for the girls. I think they'll go nuts about them. But like you said, they're better than nothing. :)

msomnipotent
11-30-2011, 04:09 PM
I bought them to see if the skunk or monster raccoon were in my yard before I let the dog out. I meant to say thanks the other day, but I got sidetracked. I usually get their emails daily, but I didn't that day and I actually needed the kids woot item for a Christmas present, too.