PDA

View Full Version : Hatchet selection

GunnerMax
12-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Christmas is coming up, and I want a good hatchet that meet these criteria: less than $50, hammer nails, cut wood, good grip, can find a sheath to fit on my MOLLE gear, and will last a long time. Can you guys go through your bookmarks/favorite sites and post links, and I will send those links to the wonderful wife as "hints"

Thanks guys/gals

bacpacker
12-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Here is some of my favorite ax's/hatchet's.

Estwing Sportsman's Axe (with Sheath) (http://estwing.com/product.php?product_id=1600)

Sniper-T
12-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Um... noééé

Seriously... I have never found a practical use for a hatchet.... I would take a machete anyday.

GunnerMax
12-01-2011, 01:12 AM
A machete cannot cut wood well.

Please keep in mind that I read the "saw vs hatchet" topic and made my decision

Sniper-T
12-01-2011, 01:26 AM
A machete cannot cut wood well.

Please keep in mind that I read the "saw vs hatchet" topic and made my decision

I think I missed that thread... but seriously... I`ll put my machete up against anyone here, to knock down a tree, buck it up, and maintain a fire. properly used... I have never seen a hatchet out perform a machete.!

No offence... and I am always willing to learn... but....

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

lol<

Twitchy
12-01-2011, 01:53 AM
I think I missed that thread... but seriously... I`ll put my machete up against anyone here, to knock down a tree, buck it up, and maintain a fire. properly used... I have never seen a hatchet out perform a machete.!

No offence... and I am always willing to learn... but....

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

lol<

But can it hammer a nail into wood like a hatchet? :D

I do believe i would prefer a hatchet to a machete, but that is because i've used them in the past... Stick to what your comfortable with is what i say!

mitunnelrat
12-01-2011, 01:58 AM
I'd recommend the Gerber Back Paxe and say just add the MOLLE-loks that izzy linked for me in the RYO thread to convert the stock sheath to MOLLE. That should come in pretty close to/ under your budget requirements, and be able to chop/ hammer as needed.

mitunnelrat
12-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Or do the same conversion with the Estwing? I don't know how their covers/ sheaths are made, but do know I love their hammers. I'd think any of their products would be good to go.

GunnerMax
12-01-2011, 02:09 AM
I shot estwing an email asking their price. I am glad 2 people like their products.

Kodiak
12-01-2011, 04:34 AM
I have 3 different Gerber axes and they all have performed well for me. I would not hesitate to buy another.

GunnerMax
12-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Kodiak, thank you for the suggestion, but, if you can, give me a model number/name of the hatchet? (Specifics). Thanks!

Sniper-T
12-01-2011, 11:18 AM
But can it hammer a nail into wood like a hatchet? :D

yes, it can... but certainly not as easily nor effectively as a hatchet!

Stick to what your comfortable with is what i say!

And that says it all. thank you, sir!

I don't have an Estwing hatchet... but I do have several of their axes... Awesome pieces of equiment!

Grumpy Old Man
12-01-2011, 05:29 PM
I like Cold Steel products and I've had good luck with this one, but I have several of their models.

Special Projects (A Division of Cold Steel&reg; Knives). Rifleman's Hawk (http://www.ltspecpro.com/products/284-riflemans-hawk.aspx)

mitunnelrat
12-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Gunner, I'll venture a guess on Kodiak's axes and tell you they'll all look identical to the back paxe. They're all made roughly the same, albeit different sizes and lengths. Also, some hold saws or knives in the handle. A quick search for Gerber/ Fiskars axes will probably tell you more than you want to know in very short order.

Gerber would still be my 1st choice btw, simply because its a proven performer and is lighter than any other hatchet I've handled. I was packing my kit like I was a mule and quickly learned that ounces lead to pounds, and pounds lead to pain.

izzyscout21
12-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I have 3 different Gerber axes and they all have performed well for me. I would not hesitate to buy another.

don't lie Kodiak. We all know you just used your head to hammer those in.

Evolver
12-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Christmas is coming up, and I want a good hatchet that meet these criteria: less than $50, hammer nails, cut wood, good grip, can find a sheath to fit on my MOLLE gear, and will last a long time. Can you guys go through your bookmarks/favorite sites and post links, and I will send those links to the wonderful wife as "hints"

Thanks guys/gals

This is a hard shopping cart to fill with one multi use item :) Hatchet are good for chopping and splitting small trunks and limbs but not so good for driving nails due to the striking surface and handle design. The blunt end of and axe or hatchet is mainly made for wedge driving or taking an impact from a secondary tool to act as a wedge when splitting wood.

Hatchet/hawks (Pipe type) Special Projects (A Division of Cold Steel&reg; Knives). Rifleman's Hawk (http://www.ltspecpro.com/products/284-riflemans-hawk.aspx) are better for throwing, making kindling and driving nails but aren't very good for splitting wood or using as a wedge.

Machete/ Kukri United Survival Sawback Kukri With Sheath (Gray) - Kennesaw Cutlery (http://kennesawcutlery.com/Fixed-Blade-Knives/United-Colombian-Sawback-Kukri-With-Sheath) Have there place too as Mr S-T states and I also agree to but it's not a big wood splitter or nailer.

So... If I was pushing your shopping cart I would have two items in it. One a Machete/Kukri, Two A cold steel Hatch/hawk (Pipe Type).

I have a hatchet around here somewhere and I think Ive only used it a few times. Not a fan.

For splitting wood an Axe or... Braking dead fall... Big rock work the best hands down. :)

bacpacker
12-02-2011, 12:14 AM
I was at home depot today. They carry the 2 small size Estwing hatchets. The small both were in the $30 range. They are extremly well made. However they probably weigh in the neighborhood or 3lbs. Like MIT said onces add up quickly. I have never used the Gerber brand, but I have handled them in stores and they are somewhat lighter. To carry them this would be a plus, to split kindling I would think it would be somewhat of a drawback.
I've never used a machete for anything other than chopping corn stalks. They work great for that. :) Like most tools there is reasons they were designed as they were. They might work for other things, but not as well as something designed specifically for it.

Evolver
12-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Estwing's are the cadillac of hand tools for sure and I love the way my framing hammer sings as it's driving nails but... all put it this way... If I was sent out with only one item and the item's were a Machete, Hawk or Hatchet. I would take the Machete because it has a broader usage.

Kodiak
12-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Back Paxe II (http://www.gerbergear.com/Outdoor/Gear/Back-Paxe-II_31-000912)

Gander Mountain® > Gerber Gator Axe II Combo With Saw - Hunting > Knives & Tools > Saws Axes & Pruners : (http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=419202&pdesc=Gerber_Gator_Axe_II_Combo_With_Saw&aID=503F5&merchID=4006)

Axe - Extra Large (http://www.gerbergear.com/Outdoor/Gear/XL-Axe_31-000915)

These are the 3 Gerber axes i have. The saw for the gator works very well for small branches.

realist
12-02-2011, 03:28 PM
I will throw my two cents in for the Estwing, they are indestructible. If you ever what to get an ax also they are the ones to go to they do not break.

Grumpy Old Man
12-02-2011, 05:49 PM
I have a leather-handled Estwing that I keep in my truck toolbox along with a Collins Hudson bay ax and a francesca throwing tomahawk. I also have an Estwing rock pick in there. I've used the Estwings for years, but I do have one complaint. The Estwings seem to bother my elbow more than my wooden handled hatchets/axes/tomahawks. Now that may be because I am no longer a spring chicken, but I think that the rigidity of the steel handle has an impact as well.

If you want the Best American-made hatchets/axes then go Snow & Neeley. The Kindling ax is a Hudson Bay head on an 18" handle-very nice.

Grumpy Old Man
12-02-2011, 06:08 PM
I misspoke, the kindling ax is now called The Penobscot Bay Kindling ax. It's still the same ax, however Lehman's is doing their usual marketing thing. If you want the plain PBK ax it is $77 and change; if you want the Camper Axe gift pack which includes leather sheath, compass and an Appalachian Trail map packaged in a gift box, well then it is only $63.

Here is a link to Lehman's and that ax Tools/Farm | Hand Tools | Woodworking and Lumberjacking - Lehmans.com (http://www.lehmans.com/store/Tools_Farm___Hand_Tools___Woodworking_and_Lumberja cking_p_2?Args=&view_all=)

BTW Lehman's has some really cool non-electric items, but they can be real spendy.

bacpacker
12-03-2011, 01:55 AM
Grumpy your probably right about the steel handle bothering you. I bought a steel handled Dead On hammer before I started the chicken coop. I used it for the bottom until I started on the floor. Made my arm hurt too. I went back to my old hickory handled hammer.
The lehmens ax is pretty nice.

realist
12-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Grumpy I have to agree with you, not about the ax but on the old age bringing on more aches and pains.......

GunnerMax
12-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks guys. Its hard convincing my wife that this stuff is needed, or will be needed. Her response is "you don't need that s**t". .......

mitunnelrat
12-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Anytime. Re: your wife's reaction though, is she seeing the stuff you already have getting use, or being stored away? Not trying to bust on you at all, but I personally found some things were easier to buy if I could show an immediate, practical use for it. Do you car camp or hike at all? Hunt or fish? Sorry if you've answered some of these in other posts. My 'net access is horrible right now and I can't remember seeing too much from you on these...

Anyway, my point is that by packaging my interests in mainstream activities and pursuing those hobbies I was able to get what I needed much more easily. I could show my ex what worked, what didn't, and explain what I needed - she even understood why I went for some pricier/ custom pieces after I showed her the results of using lesser gear. (I've broken knives and other tools a time or two). She was even good about ammo purchases since I hunt. Or at least was until she got a glimpse at my stash! Lol. Either way, might help. Might not... l

GunnerMax
12-03-2011, 09:21 PM
We both like to hike and camp, but I am in the military and she works 7 days a week, so no time :(

mitunnelrat
12-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Oh! What branch and classification? I'm a prior service Army 12B (combat engineer).

And it totally bites your schedules keep you away from activities you enjoy

GunnerMax
12-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Navy GM2(SW). Currently a small boat squad gunner/crewman

mitunnelrat
12-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Cool! Not my cup of tea to be out on the water, but I'm glad someone likes it! More power to you, and thank you!

Sniper-T
12-05-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm with mtr... when I find a piece of gear that I want; I create the need for it before I buy it. find a project, or invent a project that needs said tool, and then struggle without it for a day... buy it and finish the project happily.