PDA

View Full Version : USMC Combat Tent Review

izzyscout21
12-01-2011, 11:30 PM
So the wife went to a movie, which resulted in me babysitting the twins. They wanted to go outide to play, so I figured it would be a great time to erect them a playhouse......Izzy style.

The Combat tent was originally built by two manufacturers (Eureka and Diamond). Both tents are nearly identical. You can do a search for the Eureka brand and find positive reviews all day long on Google, but as of yet there have been only a handful of reviews on the Diamond Brand. The general consensus is that The Eureka is a better build, indeed the tent fetches about $25-$75 more EBAY. Well, having seen both, used both. I am here to tell you that the consensus is wrong. The Diamond Brand has just as aswesome as the Eureka.

From Diamond's website
A two-man, three-season, free standing, double wall tent. The tent has a vapor permeable tent body with a fully water proof reversible rain fly. All tent floor and rain fly seams are factory taped for water proofing. The rain fly can be used independently of the tent body with poles and stakes as a "hooch."

Ventilation for use in arid desert and humid conditions to minimize build up of condensation
Rain fly prevents escape of light and provides protection against visual and infrared detection
Rain fly can be used in conjunction with tent or separate as a "hooch"

I purchased my Combat Tent on one of me and Lunchbox's gear runs. They can occasionally be had for as low as $75, but thats a rare find. Prices tend to be in the $75-$125 range. I found mine new in a surplus shop and, after some awesome haggling by LUNCHBOX, I walked away with this one AND the single man bivy version brand new for $100 for both tents. It was an absolute steal. These 2 tents had never been opened. Considering Uncle Sam pays about $500 for the tent, I figured I pretty much stole it.

I had actually been issued one of these before I deployed to Iraq (Army getting USMC gear.... I know, right?:confused:) and absolutely loved it the ONE time I had a chance to use it. The issued tent I had was the Eureka version. I had always swore that if I ever had the chance, I'd get another one.

I'm very impressd with the construction, and it was freakin easy to put up. It comes with some stakes that are absolutely hunorshus. I had half a mind to put some on my plate carrier for stabbing zombies, vampires, or whatever. This is just the kind of thing you give to Tunnelrat........just to see how long it takes to die. :o
Ease of erection was a nine out of ten. The reason for not being a 10 of 10 is the pole receivers are sometimes difficult.
Save for that (and the weight) this is the ideal 4 season tent.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/DSCF4158.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/DSCF4159.jpg

izzyscout21
12-01-2011, 11:35 PM
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/DSCF4154.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/DSCF4157.jpg

izzyscout21
12-01-2011, 11:36 PM
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/DSCF4155.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/DSCF4156.jpg

bacpacker
12-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Babysitting, yeah right! Looks more like playing to me. I love it.

The Eureka products have been really good stuff for backpacking for years. I'm not familiar with Diamond products. Good review BTW.

How much does the tent weigh? I have a Kelty Windfoil 2 4 season tent. It weighs about 8lb's.

izzyscout21
12-02-2011, 12:41 AM
about 9 lbs. give or take. I prolly wouldn't take it backpacking, but I'd definitely use it for car camping or for SHTF if I were in a static position for any extended period of time.

izzyscout21
12-02-2011, 12:42 AM
about 9 lbs. give or take. I prolly wouldn't take it backpacking, but I'd definitely use it for car camping or for SHTF if I were in a static position for any extended period of time. OR, if you just want a camo tent......this would be my vote.

bacpacker
12-02-2011, 12:47 AM
I gotta find one of them for the truck for bugging out.

mitunnelrat
12-02-2011, 02:23 AM
I tried liking that but my phone just isn't cooperating! I'm pretty sure my unit in Missouri got issued these just before I PCS'ed - or one size larger if there is such a thing.

Either way, I'm about to make a note on what it is, so I don't forget, because I'd eventually love to get my hands on one. If memory serves I've got my pack weight at 30-35 pounds, and that is primarily all shelter weight anyway, so after reconfiguring some things I'd be just over 40 pounds with this... According to SAS standards thats still within a manageable weight limit, so I might just be dumb enough to try packing it.

My Eureka Solitaire is nice, and hammocks have held some appeal lately, but both are very limited on space. Conversely, my current 4 person tent is lacking in protection from cold... The ability to sit up and move around some, especially in inclement weather, would be downright luxurious. So yeah, this would fill a known void. Thanks for the review izzy, but, can I have it? :D lol...

Gunfixr
12-02-2011, 03:56 AM
Hhmm, one of those would be nice for the room.
I have one of the Eureka TCOP one man tents, and it is awesome, but not much room in it.

LUNCHBOX
12-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Easy guys, it might be a few months but I'll keep my eye out for some on my next trip. Izzy, they do look nice set up.

mitunnelrat
12-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Lol! Was it that apparent I was drooling over this? I'd have to redirect suspicion on that and say I put it up in the rain to test its weatherproofing...

izzyscout21
12-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Lol! Was it that apparent I was drooling over this? I'd have to redirect suspicion on that and say I put it up in the rain to test its weatherproofing...

when we first saw them, Lunchbox and I both agreed that they would be right up your alley. We anticipated your every thought........

mitunnelrat
12-02-2011, 09:33 PM
I just got a good laugh out of that! I guess that means I've done a good job communicating my interests and activities in the past...

On a related side note, I said in my first post its weight within my pack would keep me within SAS guidelines on the subject. I double checked my book last night and found out I was wrong. The author cited the Royal Marines as his source. Their standard is that a pack shouldn't exceed 25% of the bearers body weight. This is where the weight of individual components, like this tent, factors in.

Just some loosely associated, slightly on topic, food for thought on this.

Kutter-0311
04-22-2012, 09:34 AM
I love these tents, even if I haven't unpacked mine in...5? 6 years? But you, Izzy, I HATE.

$100 for the brandy-new tent AND bivy tent? WTF? Are they selling off the whole frakkin war wholesale? I paid $250!

izzyscout21
04-22-2012, 03:56 PM
I love these tents, even if I haven't unpacked mine in...5? 6 years? But you, Izzy, I HATE.

$100 for the brandy-new tent AND bivy tent? WTF? Are they selling off the whole frakkin war wholesale? I paid $250!

SOmetimes even a blind horse can find water....or a good deal!

Kutter-0311
04-22-2012, 10:56 PM
I got mine back in 2005 I think, and there weren't really a whole lot available, so I count myself lucky to have got one at all. It was the best deal I could find, and I was pretty happy just to have such a great tent. I'd used one on the Big Island when we were at PTA and on Okinawa when we were at JWTC, and they really impressed me. Very sturdy for the weight, very flexible in use, very easy to set up and tear down. The only hard thing is getting the poles situated sometimes. That's easier with 2 people, but 1 person can do it with some practice.

Stormfeather
04-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Ok, so I guess the common consensus is that we are hoping that Lunchbox can score more of these then I take it? If you can at that same or close to same price point, put me in for 1!

izzyscout21
04-23-2012, 08:06 PM
When we found them that trip, I don't think that the store owner had a clue as to what they were. Hopefully he has some more and hasn't figured it out on the next run.

Kutter-0311
04-24-2012, 03:11 AM
I could use a couple more;)

Gunfixr
04-26-2012, 02:22 AM
I used mine again last weekend, on a weekend outing (spring FTX).
We arrived Fri evening, to leave Sun early afternoon. The rains arrived Sat afternoon just about 5pm. It rained through the evening and night, and off and on Sun am.
In fact, it started raining in earnest as I was taking down the tent, so now its' actually wet.
The tent is great, I need a new sleeping setup. For the second time, the sleep pad was disappointing.
For the second time, the sleeping bag was a failure.

When the rain started, the 1919 was so hot it took almost an hour before the rain hitting the barrel didn't steam off.

izzyscout21
04-26-2012, 03:30 AM
When the rain started, the 1919 was so hot it took almost an hour before the rain hitting the barrel didn't steam off.

This^^^^ is made of so much WIN it's scary.

Kutter-0311
04-26-2012, 02:05 PM
That was my first thought as well. Followed by...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjlKxfpGE6o

Gunfixr
04-29-2012, 04:29 AM
Yeah, a couple of guys wanted to know if I needed help getting it out of the rain.
I told them it would be fine, that the 1919A4 had seen a few wars, and had been rained on before. In fact, if they wanted to wait, and let it get rained on for awhile, we could go out and load up another belt, and blow the water out of it, and it probably wouldn't miss a beat.

"It's a battle implement, it'll be fine."

Kutter-0311
04-29-2012, 05:21 AM
Ah, when battlefield equipment was worth taking to Hell...

tc556guy
06-07-2012, 09:57 PM
I recently bought one of these surplus tents on-line. Mine did not come with stakes or guy lines, but I have plenty of spares laying around anyways. Seems like a good quality tent

ghost1227
11-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Used these many times (we were issued them... and izzy, that is odd... usually we get your gear, not the other way around!). They're absolutely incredible. I'm definitely in the market for one!

izzyscout21
11-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Used these many times (we were issued them... and izzy, that is odd... usually we get your gear, not the other way around!). They're absolutely incredible. I'm definitely in the market for one!

It's a fantastic tent. They can be found, just have to hunt.

ghost1227
11-09-2012, 02:30 PM
It's a fantastic tent. They can be found, just have to hunt.

I know just where I'm gonna get one... it's just not at the top of my shopping list (I've got a Hennessy Hammock that I swear by, that'll do in a pinch). First, I still have to find a new pack (http://www.shtfready.com/threads/2735-Thoughts-on-new-pack)!

xusualsuspectx
11-13-2012, 12:22 PM
I bought one of these tents and I am planning on using it this weekend. fter reading your review im not too worrried about its quality. Mine is NIB!

mitunnelrat
11-17-2013, 03:35 PM
So... um... I hadn't forgotten about this, and just chanced across a Eureka ICS 2000 yesterday. $50. Still not as much of a steal as izzzy's though - It needs to be cleaned, it needs a couple holes patched in the screens, and I may want to eventually replace a pole that was repaired, but I couldn't beat the price!

Stormfeather
11-27-2013, 03:55 AM
nice! did those guys ever make another surplus run?

mitunnelrat
11-29-2013, 12:07 AM
I can't recall that they've done anything recently, but I'll tell ya, I'd love to go with them once. I may have to rent a car again to get there.

LUNCHBOX
12-05-2013, 02:50 PM
I plan on making another run early next year. Want to get x-mas out of the way. I will post and give everyone a heads up before l go.