PDA

View Full Version : Second wood stove install choice: wood cook stove or wood heater?

Sparrow
12-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I am looking for suggestions and advice.

In the masonry chimeny stack that runs through the house, there are openings for wood stoves in the basement, first floor and second floor (hallway of the 3 bedrooms).

I have installed the one wood heater with cooktop cook plate, in the living room, which is open to the dining room. Now I have to make the decision, if S was to hit the fan, would I be happy using this stove as the main cooking stove? It is very do-able. But, if accommodating a MAG of 6 adults and 2 children (which my mag is at presently), would I be comfortable cooking on this stove alone? Ummm, no that would suck.

I was talking with an old lady I met in a little town nearby, ... old ladies love me, I love old ladies ... and she started talking about her happy childhood (this was this summer) and the huge coincidence is, she grew up in this house and they neighboring house! The told me so many things about the house I didn't know, and helped me a lot! Even on a safety issue because there is an old well in the attached barn, ... good thing I know now! She said that there was a cook stove in the kitchen and the pipe ran through to the second floor opening! There is still the hole in the floor covered by plywood.

So, do I put in a wood cook stove (lots for sale in Mtl, 200 bucks could snag me a good one), or do I put a simple small cast iron wood stove heater only up on the second floor? I wish I could do both, alas nope.

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Grumpy Old Man
12-02-2011, 08:32 PM
I'd go for the cook stove Sparrow. It will give you a better place to cook and bake you can also place a water heating tank on the stove pipe and as the pipe runs up to the 2nd story vent it will contribute to heating the 2nd floor. That's a lot of bang for the buck.

eagle326
12-02-2011, 08:41 PM
I agree with GOM. I'd get more cook stoves . Can't ever have too much cooking space . And the water angle GOM mentioned.

bacpacker
12-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Me three! The water angle could be huge if SHTF. It'll still heat your space. And having the extra cooking space for a group of 8 would be invaluable.

BTW the well find is Sweet! I would also have the water tested ASAP, so you know if it is really safe.

Sparrow
12-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the advice! Although a cute little stove upstairs would be charming, and very useful .. while times are good, and sure easy to transport and install - I definitely agree with everyone that the better long term plan would be for a wood cook stove! Gosh I had a look on Mtl Kijiji and there are deals starting at 100 right now. In which case I would offer 50, ... and take the people who help me move it out to dinner.

I like this one, only 100 > Poêle antique de marque McClary Royal Charm - Montréal électroménagers Ã* vendre - Kijiji Montréal (http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-appliances-Poele-antique-de-marque-McClary-Royal-Charm-W0QQAdIdZ323550650)

Oh so much to do! I still don't have a hand pump for the well ... shish.

Oh the well that is under the barn - attached to the house, is a huge stone surrounded thing, she said it was boarded up because a earthquake (yeah east coast canada earth quake) caused huge boulder to fall loose and block the well in the 70s she though it was. The house has a nice newish well, the water is beautiful being that this is ontop of the hills, Appalachians, ... no population ... 1000s of acres of forest. I did get it tested - the water - and I tested it myself with a home kit. The water is pure and stunning.

bacpacker
12-02-2011, 11:19 PM
I sure don't read French, but that looks like a killer stove. What is the exterior made from? It almost looks like porcelin or something. That thing is huge and would allow a ton of stuff to be cooked at once.

Fantastic about the water. You can't beat that.

helomech
12-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Sweet, wish we had deals like that around here.

Sparrow
12-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I load up my truck bed on every trip to Mtl ... deal, deals ... and more deals!

Yeah, I like the stove, am watching it for now ... won't be ready to load it on the truck for a month ... I doubt with the weather anyone will be interested in it. I would have to see the state of the interior ...

From my research these stoves have cast iron wood unit section and the rest is heavy enameled sheet metal - cast iron top. This one also has two electric elements. Which I like as the stove would still be practical even if S never HTF. However my mom who is retiring in this house would just love to cook on a stove like that! I think it would be worth the transport and install headache just to make her happy.

ravensgrove
12-04-2011, 05:36 AM
COOK STOVE, COOK STOVE, COOK STOVE....can you hear me chanting?

Sparrow
12-04-2011, 08:13 PM
OK next question!

YES WOOD COOK STOVE!!!

But, I love the idea of getting a combo one which has 2-4 electrical elements. Would you (people of the board) recommend this, or advise against and why?

mitunnelrat
12-05-2011, 12:21 AM
I'd say yes, if the quality of the components doesn't suffer from the combination to affect operation or safety. MultI-purpose/ use is a good thing in my eyes.

Sniper-T
12-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Sounds perfect! the best of both worlds. and a great price!

That water source sounds like an old cistern. You're just three shades of lucky!

What Is a Water Cistern? | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/facts_5998994_water-cistern_.html)

Evolver
12-05-2011, 10:38 PM
OK next question!

YES WOOD COOK STOVE!!!

But, I love the idea of getting a combo one which has 2-4 electrical elements. Would you (people of the board) recommend this, or advise against and why?

The only strike against elect elements is the efficiency. If your wanting to heat your room or cook with elect is going to cost you a bunch to run it. If your looking at a combo I would go Propane/gas/ wood.