Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Type II Diabetic?

I am not your physician. I haven't examined you, I'm not familiar with your case and I don't know you. So, I am not offering medical advice.

I will say that the advice given to diabetic patients, while approved by the American Diabetes Association, strikes me as being completely backwards to the goal of people living good lives. Particularly for Ty II diabetics, the idea of eating lots of (small) meals throughout the day, eating 50% or more of your food in carbohydrates, and taking medicines like metformin that raise your blood insulin levels seems backwards to me, from a physiological basis.

The idea is to make the individual cells in your body MORE responsive to insulin, so you need less insulin (like the amount that a Ty II diabetic can produce normally). Most every hormone (insulin is a hormone) has a feedback mechanism in the body, to either tell the body to stop making it, or make it less effective.

Your body will release insulin based on blood glucose levels. If you keep the blood glucose levels down, the insulin will stay down and the cells will be more sensitive to it. The best way to keep blood insulin/glucose levels down is to minimize the amount of carbohydrates you eat. After all, your body requires exactly ZERO external carbohydrates to function - much less the 50% or more that the ADA recommends.

The actual foods the ADA recommends are
    • vegetables

• whole grains
    • fruits
    • non-fat dairy products
    • beans
    • lean meats
    • poultry
    • fish

From their website, http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...lthy-diet.html

Vegetables is too broad - things like corn on the cob, while delicious, are very high in sugar: So are vegetables like beets, rice, most squashes like pumpkin, etc....Whole grains are 100% carbs, and are not good for you compared to regular grains - they're just less bad. The sugar in fruit, fructose, is VERY bad for people, since it has no feedback method to tell you you've had enough; and it is a form that pretty much goes straight to fat....while keeping your blood insulin high.
    And non-fat dairy? Why non fat? It's because they're telling people to get too many damned calories from carbs....

Really poor advice, with the official seal of the ADA and the government. Which have pretty well caused these problems in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post

Doc Doom snuck in a 3rd Part >>>>https://www.doomandbloom.net/diabete...-off-the-gird/
    Illini Warrior

I realize the original posts are more than several years old now but, at least now, the ADA does not advocate 50% carbohydrates. I find it hard to believe that would have ever been good advice.

Currently, the ADA recommends the Diabetes Plate Method, which is a ?for dummies? equivalent of the FDA?s food plate that replaced the food pyramid. In my opinion, while it gives rough guidance, to really control Type 2 Diabetes, people should be counting carbohydrates, not guessing.

When I was diagnosed several years ago, my physician gave me very constructive guidance that has allowed me to get it under control and loose weight at the same time (even though I don?t exercise anywhere near as much as I should). And, because my doctors advice translated into a fundamental and sustainable lifestyle change (not a fad diet or quick fix scheme), I have been able to maintain it for years now.

Besides proper portion control, my doctor said if I couldn?t eat more frequent/smaller meals because of my work/life schedule (his preferred recommendation), then I should have 3 meals per day and stick to a regular time schedule with each meal having a target of 20g carbs or less, and no more than 25 carbs. And this means making choices, especially when eating out (which I have to do several times a week because of work travel).

For example, if I?m having BBQ for dinner and want garlic bread with it, go ahead and have it but moderate the portion size and skip putting sweet BBQ sauce on the meat by either using a dry rub or vinegar based sauce instead.

It?s all about moderation and wisely making choices? choices? choices.

I have to admit that until I started counting carbs, I had no idea in the world how many (100?s of grams) I was consuming per day and I?m not even a sweet/desert eater. It was pretty much all coming from carb intensive foods.

And, the first couple months of moderating portion sizes absolutely sucked. I had continuous hunger pains until my stomach shrunk and adjusted to the change. That was by far the hardest part of the whole process. For me, fresh baby carrots, snap peas, and hummus became my best friend whenever the urge to eat came on. And now, a very small portion of nuts or trail mix, or a few ginger snap cookies help stave of the desire to snack on chips or other salty no-no?s between dinner and bedtime.

By the way, here are links to the ADA info that I referenced above. I have found that this general guideline, along with educating myself about the carb content of the foods/ingredients that I consume has been instrumental in keeping my glucose and AC-1 levels under control.

https://www.diabetes.org/healthy-liv...ipes-nutrition

https://www.diabetesfoodhub.org/arti...s%20a%20plate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk