Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Low to no cost preps one should start?

I too am looking into getting some freeze dried foods....over time.

I stock spam because it does not need refrigerating until after it is opened...and stores a long long time.

There is also enough salt in it to keep it long after the expiration date. You will know by smell immediately after opening it if it is bad.

Working on looking into vacuum sealing rice and beans.
    Storing salt too while it is inexpensive...and from the dollar store.

Start small..but start somewhere. Ask...lots of people have good advice.

You don't have to break the bank..but start somewhere.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    I too am looking into getting some freeze dried foods....over time.

I stock spam because it does not need refrigerating until after it is opened...and stores a long long time.

There is also enough salt in it to keep it long after the expiration date. You will know by smell immediately after opening it if it is bad.

Working on looking into vacuum sealing rice and beans.
    Storing salt too while it is inexpensive...and from the dollar store.

Start small..but start somewhere. Ask...lots of people have good advice.

You don't have to break the bank..but start somewhere.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

better off buying a big 20-25lb bag of salt at one time - dump it in a food grade bucket - seal it - pack it away in an unused corner - forget it until needed ... same same with white sugar - either buy it in bulk or when super cheap during canning season .... both are forever foods ....

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    better off buying a big 20-25lb bag of salt at one time - dump it in a food grade bucket - seal it - pack it away in an unused corner - forget it until needed ... same same with white sugar - either buy it in bulk or when super cheap during canning season .... both are forever foods ....

Had not considered putting back sugar..but have been putting back Honey. Salt is very cheap at the dollar store...and that is exactly what I have done ..put into into plastic buckets lined with black heavy plastic contractor bags.

Bought three Peace dollars in .9 silver dated 1922, 1924, and 1925 the other day...and put them away. It is similar to what I do when I purchase .22 long rifles and just put them away.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Had not considered putting back sugar..but have been putting back Honey. Salt is very cheap at the dollar store...and that is exactly what I have done ..put into into plastic buckets lined with black heavy plastic contractor bags.

Bought three Peace dollars in .9 silver dated 1922, 1924, and 1925 the other day...and put them away. It is similar to what I do when I purchase .22 long rifles and just put them away.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

don't get it wrong - not picking on you ....

but food always need a food grade container - there is no liner to make that stored food safe when you use a contaminated container ... contamination is at a more finite level than just physical contact between food and a surface .... and the contamination is embedded into the container beyond the point of simply washing/soaking it out ... overall good example of this contamination problem is the pickle brine smell in a deli bucket - almost impossible to get that embedded solution out of the plastic pores - that brine smell will transfer into your food even thru a mylar bag and taint your stored food ....

in your particular case you compounded the contamination using that contractor bag - garbage bags are manufactured with unqualified poly & chems and are usually sprayed with a solution to odorize them and repel insects/pests ... I wouldn't even water my garden with H2O that came out of a fresh garbage bag ....

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    don't get it wrong - not picking on you ....

but food always need a food grade container - there is no liner to make that stored food safe when you use a contaminated container ... contamination is at a more finite level than just physical contact between food and a surface .... and the contamination is embedded into the container beyond the point of simply washing/soaking it out ... overall good example of this contamination problem is the pickle brine smell in a deli bucket - almost impossible to get that embedded solution out of the plastic pores - that brine smell will transfer into your food even thru a mylar bag and taint your stored food ....

in your particular case you compounded the contamination using that contractor bag - garbage bags are manufactured with unqualified poly & chems and are usually sprayed with a solution to odorize them and repel insects/pests ... I wouldn't even water my garden with H2O that came out of a fresh garbage bag ....

Thanks for that advice Illinois Warrior.

I am not sure where one gets food grade buckets in any quantity. I chose these because they are readily available in quantity.

While I have not so done...my friend who has also done this with these orange buckets from Home Depot ...has put a valve in them and pulled down a vacuum when sealing them. Much of his stuff is in vacuum sealed bags as well. He seals the lids with bathtub type caulk sealer before pulling down a bit of vacuum.

I too have a food saver vacuum machine and put stuff in these buckets lined with black contractors bags.

Yes....I had thick pickle buckets years ago...and discounted them precisely because of the brine smell.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Walking on Sunshine

OT,
    If you have a Menard's, Lowe's or Home Depot nearby, they sell food grade buckets with their other non food buckets and some seals. Here, they are not expensive but a bit thin 5 ml I think.I also posted(thanks RJ) in an earlier post a site that sells buckets and the Gamma seals in "bulk" I didn't think it was expensive for good quality thicker buckets and seals.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    OT,
    If you have a Menard's, Lowe's or Home Depot nearby, they sell food grade buckets with their other non food buckets and some seals. Here, they are not expensive but a bit thin 5 ml I think.I also posted(thanks RJ) in an earlier post a site that sells buckets and the Gamma seals in "bulk" I didn't think it was expensive for good quality thicker buckets and seals.
    Thanks Katrina...I did not know that information about Lowes or Home Depot...that they carried food grade buckets. I will be checking it out.

Orangetom

Walking on Sunshine

Not a problem If you're interested PM me and I give you the sight for the "bulk" buckets and seals/lids

Thanks Katrina...I did not know that information about Lowes or Home Depot...that they carried food grade buckets. I will be checking it out.

Orangetom

Menards is the only one of the three with FDA registered food grade buckets - Lowes is claiming BPA free buckets - last I checked Home Depot only had their Homer orange paint buckets ....

paint buckets aren't food grade ....

Menards seems to be an Ohio based store and not found down here in Coastal Virginia.

I did however begin scanning the Home Depot site and found this ....will be investigating further.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite...H020/300197644

Thanks for bringing it to my attention...and also need to now investigate the proper food safe lid as well.

Orangetom