Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Did You Use/Rotate Today?

Queen of the Doom Room

What Did You Use/Rotate Today?

I'm in a little cooking challenge right now on one of the boards I participate in. It's a challenge to see what kind of odds and ends you can use from your freezer or pantry. While they know I stockpile, they have no idea I'm a prepper or to what extent I stockpile. It literally just dawned on me that this would translate really well here since it forces us to move some food. Some things I bought as a newbie prepper and didn't understand the golden rule of store what you eat and eat what you store. Other things I cook fresh and things just don't get rotated as often as they should. Like the gravy with tonights dinner. I was going to make fresh when I remembered the dry packets on the shelf...so...

Yesterday I made a Jell-O dessert using an expired package of Jell-O (01/11 - I also don't tell them I'm using food out of expiration dates - they would be horrified!! )

Tonight we are having a jar of Home Canned Beef, two packets of brown gravy mix (also expired 01/11), a box of Velveeta Shells and Cheese (06/10) and some turnip greens from last years garden that have been in the freezer.

What can you rotate today?
    Last edited by JustAPrepper; 12-04-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: correct an expiration date

I haven't used hardly anything from my preps lately. I got kind of scared (still am) about this financial storm going on in Europe, plus the Iranian mess and have actually tried NOT to use anything lest I need it in the very near future. However, I did take a couple 2-liter bottles of water I had stored about a year ago over to my mom's house to drink while we raked her yard. I will replace them tonight or tomorrow.

Queen of the Doom Room
    Rotating your water is a good thing!

I'll most likely shit myself

We picked up some of the large containers of gravy and spices over a period of time. We found our taco seasoning was 5 months out of date. We had taco salad for supper tonight. It still tasted very good.

Do you have a robot?
    Filled up the cars and truck with my gas cans and then it is off to the gas station to spend a bunch of money.

For the Love of Cats

I'm just about through a rotation of gas. I have two jugs left that are 15 months old. The one I used at 14 months was fine, and I don't expect these to be any different.

I don't like to keep it around that long and do a 6 month rotation on most of my gas, but wanted to push the limit and see what happened.

This is regular unleaded gas, stored in Black containers in my garage, seasoned with a splash of seafoam.

Garden? I'll show you a garden....
    What with our own Great Depression out here at the farm I am kind of on the opposite end of this discussion...what haven't I rotated lately? Pretty much nothing. I am actually finding it a great exercise in reality vs. calculations. At the rate we are consuming, I think I rpobably have way more food than I realize I had...meat alone I think it could quite possibly go bad before we ever consumed all the beef in the freezers.....this has led me to more canning/dehydrating of meat with Justa's tutorial. I tried both chicken and beef since that first experiment. I don't like it as well personally, the texture bothers me, but it would certainly beat starving.

Queen of the Doom Room
    Raven, I definitely understand about the beef. I'm not much on "roasts" and that's exactly what the beef tastes like to me. That's one reason I'm making a concious effort to start rotating it faster. If I don't, it will just sit there taking up space. I'd rather have the jars and space for more chicken, which I'm sorry to hear you don't care for. It's our favorite!

Today I rotated a can of Refried Beans and half a can of Enchilada Sauce (froze the other half).
    Last edited by JustAPrepper; 12-05-2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Add Enchilada Sauce

Queen of the Doom Room
    Two more packets of gravy mix - a white kind that I mixed with sausage to go over biscuits.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

2 cans of chicken stock, 1 bag of noodles, 1 can of peas, 2 cans of chicken.........can you guess where this is going?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.