Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Mustard/Collard Greens be Dehydrated or Canned?

For the Love of Cats

it's when you try to run them through a mill/grinder to make powder. even hard as rocks, they will still gummy up the cutters unless they are dry as coal.

Garden? I'll show you a garden....
    ^^^^ its the same with most berries, cucumbers, bananas...they can seem super dry but when you try to grind them they muck everything up. We use alot of berrys, fruit, veggies in our soap. They have to be damn near diamond hard not to muck up the large spice grinder I use to mill them.

For the Love of Cats

Anything I want to grind to a powder, I try to run through a regular grinder first, bust it up as small as I can... then dry it some more, and then go through the mill.

I use a home-built electric version of this for the initial grinding:
    Cabelas Canada - Food Preparation - Features - Weston Realtree Manual Meat Grinder & Sausage Stuffer

Queen of the Doom Room
    Thanks for all the tips but I think, for the first time, my tomatoes are finally drying properly! I do most things a lot lower and slower than all the books or recipes recommend because of our humidity but these I've backed way down to 95 and they are actually getting crispy!! I'll keep you posted.

Molly, sorry to hijack your thread!!

Queen of the Doom Room
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    See, I wondered about canning dandelion. My idea was pickle with curry spices to make like a chutney. I get dandelion the size of baseball bats out here! And dandelion is a super food as well ... and free.
    Sparrow, I go by this...if I can't find it in a can in the store then I probably can't can it myself. Do you have canned Dandelions in Canada? I don't think I've ever seen them here so I'm thinking they might not come out so good.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAPrepper View Post
    Sparrow, I go by this...if I can't find it in a can in the store then I probably can't can it myself. Do you have canned Dandelions in Canada? I don't think I've ever seen them here so I'm thinking they might not come out so good.
    I think it is a law of demand and supply, and who would want to eat canned dandelions? LOL! I thought of it more as a way to eat them ... because they are so healthy and dry, they make a very bitter unpleasant tea-infusion, ... in summer I eat them all the time in salad and poached.

East indian pickles are made out of everything under the sun ... including spinach. The high amount of spices, cayenne, chillies and oil ... I think would make them really tasty as a side dish when doing an indian meal.

{ researches ...}

Wow, ok here is dandelion jelly! Made from the flowers and tastes like honey! Dandelion Jelly, Learn to can jelly from these pretty yet pesky weeds.

I found this talk about canning dandelions, and it is jsut like canning spinach. I remember Raven told me this as well as I have wondered about this before over the summer.

For the Love of Cats

I used to have an uncle who made a very impressive dandelion wine... and his wife always had fresh young leaves in everything she made.