Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jump start in garden

Jump start in garden

I started some seeds last week. Snap peas. Wanted a jump on the growing season. I have sprouts on all.
    Its funny putting them out in the sun between 1 & 3 pm only due to the temps.

Anyways wanted to share for some reason.

I will hush now lol

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Please share as you go. This is very intrresting for the city boys if they have to do it themselves one dzy.

I'll most likely shit myself

Alaska, I've got radishes and onions up. Taters before long. The wheat I tried last fall is growing well to. Now I just gotta figure out when to harvest it.
    Of course it's been in the 70's here this week. Sorry just had to throw that in.

Premium Member

Must be nice! There is still over a foot of snow in my backyard. I'm waiting for it to melt so I can re-till and start my garden up. Goin with snap peas, carrots, potatoes, squash and lettuce. I'm going to try and plant some strawberries and an apple tree as well. Only perennial plant I have going is rhubarb. I live in a zone 2/3 and am new to this. So, any advice you could spare would be welcomed!

Wow your way up north. My in laws live in MI and most of their snow is already gone.
    For perennial's I would suggest blueberry bushes, if you like them. They are suppose to do well up north. I have 13 goin that are southern varieties and they produce very well. I'm not sure but I think asparagus grows well up north. Garlic is another good perennial crop.I've had good luck out of both of them here.
    Carrots and potatos store well, espicailly if you have a root cellar of some type. Same with Winter squash. My favorite is Butternut squash, keeps really well. I still have 2 in our basement from last fall. Other favorites are Acorn, Spaghetti, Hubbard, and Delicta. The Acorn and Spaghetti squash don't store as well, but suposedly can up very well.
    Another good crop is any type dry bean you like. Very easy to grow, just plant, let them grow and when the bean pods get pretty well dried out put and shell them. You probably get back 10-15 to 1 harvest vs planting. Once shelled let the beans dry for a couple weeks and put them in mason jars, 2 liter coke bottle's, etc. Just keep an eye for any signs of moisture, if you see any just open them up and let the air to them for a while longer.You could even put the beans in a dehydrator on the lowest temp setting and let them go for 8-10 hours.
    Good luck with the garden and keep us posted on how it's going.

Sorry, let me add some info. i have them started in cups in side. I will transplant them. We have plenty of snow on the ground still. I take them out side in the afternoon to get fresh air & sun.
    Last year was the first time since I was a kid that I did anything. I bought strawberries. I reside at the family home that I took over from my sister last summer. allready here were rhubarb & rasperries. So I just did the strawberries. Then haphazardly threw down snap pea seeds. Cauliflower & brocolli. In an existing flower bed. every thing did extremely well considering they were sharing the planter with 3 lilac bushes and some rose bushes
    Last fall the neighbor moved and gave me some really nice spruce logs that he had intended for a pole barn.

I will be making a some what of a raised garden bed. Here is the plan.

I will drill holes through , one at each end. I will lay the logs out. It will be 14x12 approx. I will get some rebar and pound it through the holes to keep it steady. then I will call up one of the local landscrapers and have em deliver me 5 yards of top soil. Being a former landscraper myself I have a few lines on the good stuff. I will have em dump it and and I and the boy will move it the 60 or so feet. and fill it up and get to planting.

I intend on carrots,snap peas of course, brocolli,cauliflower, herbs and taters. I may seperate the taters into a couple old tires I have sitting around, not quite sure yet.

I suck at posting pictures(always says to big) but I will try and get with the program and share best I can

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Alaska, I've got radishes and onions up. Taters before long. The wheat I tried last fall is growing well to. Now I just gotta figure out when to harvest it.
    Of course it's been in the 70's here this week. Sorry just had to throw that in.
    ya ya rub it in lol

The source of all known trouble in the universe

You guys are brave starting such a thing in hard weathers. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Alaska sounds like you got a good plan in the works. The crops you mentioned all can tolerate cool weather so you should hve good luck with them. BTW taters do well grown in tires.
    Sorry for rubbing in the weather, I'll try to refrain from now on

lol enjoy your weather, and I will enjoy my majestic state. Winter is simply the price I pay for an Alaskan summer. hehe