Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: SHTF Alternative Currency

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by work in progress View Post
    I agree with the comment about having a skilled trade or the ability to produce food, ie meat, under your belt. My line of thinking is that any animal I am going to have needs to feed us or be put to work. We purchased a home with land in order to raise our own meat whether times are good or bad - but even people in suburban areas can make room for a rabbit hutch or a small chicken coop. If it gets to the point where we are using alternative currency you won't have a HOA telling you you can't have a goat or lamb in your backyard. I'd bet they can't jump over a full-sized privacy fence either. (Although goats would probably form a pyramid and climb on each other's backs to get out of there!)
    Trained beasts of burden or sport will be invaluable. I remember the Little House on the Prairie when Laura Ingalls Wilder traded her horse for a new wood burning cookstove for her Maw because Paw couldn't afford it. Who's to say it couldn't get back to that?
    In a worst case scenario, of course it could get as bad as this. Do we hope it doesnt get this bad, of course, but doesnt mean we cant plan for it.

For the Love of Cats

Interesting point Storm, but IMO it will be dictated by Supply and demand, and by the sheeple. If 10 of them start a bidding war for your bottle of rice, Are you going to stop them and say "no no, this is what I want for it"? and take the first handful of ammo that's thrust at you? That person will then turn around and sell it for 10 times that amount right in front of you.

I believe that it will be an ascending scale - as the event continues and the availability of things decreases their value will increase. But one also must keep in mind, that a barter value is also an undefined variable. If Someone offers me 1000 rounds of 223, unless I know someone that needs it, or that there is a big demand for it, it currently holds a zero trade value for me. I don't shoot it, and would rather keep my food.

Just my .02c

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Food/ammo....to me thats going to be a big issue in regards to trade in my opinion. I believe sheeple will need both and may not have one to trade for the other. Of course on our side of the fence, we have both and will need both to keep them safe. Food for energy and ammo for safety. I like everybodies take on needing to come up with something but I feel those two items are more important for ourselves. That might sound greedy but they could be at the store in line right beside me.
    Last edited by LUNCHBOX; 01-23-2012 at 09:48 AM.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

For the Love of Cats

I have to laugh... or cry... or something!

I was out with the wife on the weekend, chatting with another couple, that were friends of hers. She had told her friend about my Pantry project, and her hubby wanted to know more about it. I had some pics on my phone, so I proceded to explain it, and show him some pics to clarify things.

He liked what I did, but couldn't grasp why I had so much food. he fumbled around, with my phone for a bit, then came up with a number. x number of $ in food just sitting there. Then he went on to berate me for wasting so much money that I could have better spent on an LCD big screen tv with a sound system. and how that would be money MUCH better spent.

I tried to make a few basic points about preparredness, but he just looked at me like I was from another planet. Which I'm sure we are.

I've put one can of sardines off to the side. If he ever shows up looking for handouts/trades. I'll offer him that one can of sardines for his 60" tv. If SHTF, it won't even be worth that, but that should make him feel about as tall as the can.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    That person will then turn around and sell it for 10 times that amount right in front of you.

that's why I'll have the umpteen other bottles with me. I can exploit the opportunity he tried to create by controlling the inflation there on the spot.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

haven't chimed in on this recently, but some good discussions are going around. I tend to agree with LB, I'm not sure I'll be trading food or ammo. At least not much of it and certainly only for something I NEED. I also like WIP's thoughts on needing animals for food and work. If the fuel supply goes down horses, mules, or oxen will be at a premium. Down side is you gotta feed, water and protect them to.

Some things that might (not sure) be a good barter items are: rope, nails, screws, lumber, tarps, plastic, certain tool such as hoes, shovels, hammers, ax, things along those lines. Also depending on the time of year, seeds could bring a premium.

I tend to agree with you there, BP. However, I think after a period of time (maybe even a shorter time, who knows?) food will reign supreme as a trade barter. After they use whats in their pantries and steal everything from the box stores, I think people will be looking for food above all else. That itty bitty bit of rice could be worth as uch aas gold. I'm speculating of course, and could be completely wrong, but it makes sense to me.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

I'm not disagreeing with you. Food will be the #1 most wanted item, IMO, probably ammo being second. My statement was more what I'm stocking and I guess for a more long term situation. Not to say I won't have some food to trade and a 20oz bottle of it would make a few meals for a small family so would be a very valuable commodity.

I think we are both saying the same thing just in different ways. I think for now, I'm gogin to skip the nails and such and just d the food. I'm not planning on doing any ammo, but it I do it will only be .22. That is a last resort trade item for me, but I still packed some into 50 round ziplocks.

For the Love of Cats

that all said... even with mmy posts, I understand all of this.... but and this is a big BUT.. I will REALLY need something before I trade ammo for anything! I am comfortable with food/water/seeds/ tools/etc... I, personnally... cannot imagine giving someone means to attack me, unless they are offering something unfathomable in return.

The ONLY thing that comes to mind is if they are holding hostage children, and using them for trade. Then I will trade ammo with them, but I would track them and kill them before they left my property. But that is just me.