Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strengths and Weaknesses of your location ?

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Strengths and Weaknesses of your location ?

What are the strengths and weaknesses of your current location?

Mine...

Strengths
    In small town of less than 4000 people
    Quick access to very rural areas
    Very mild winters
    Close to large extended family for mutual aid
    Very close to several major creeks, a river and even the Gulf of Mexico for water/additional food sources
    Very gun friendly environment
    Reduced LPHP quotient (Liberals Per Hundred People)
    Within 1 mile of major state highway to move North/South very easily. Not all that far from Interstate.
    Lower cost of living means more money for preps
    Hurricanes mean people are used to ideas like extra water, food and generators on hand.

Weaknesses
    In small subdivision of 75 to 100 homes
    Medical services in town are limited (small hospital, small clinic)
    Access to local government services are limited (public works, water department, etc)
    Next county north of Gulf Coast means the coast evacuates into our backyard
    Hot summers
    Everybody knows everybody's business meaning OPSEC is harder.
    Sandy soil...not sure if that works for gardening.
    Hurricanes
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

Some good thought into this one Stig.
    Here's mine
    Pros somewhat rural town of 1100
    Good land. Have been able to grow anything I've tried
    Some good neighbors
    2 large spring fed ponds nect door
    Lake 1.5 mi down the road
    2 Hospitals within 15 mi
    Approx 20 miles to NS and EW interstates
    Several 2 and 4 lane highways leading most any direction
    Several large farms around
    Mild winters
    Low prop taxes
    Low cost of living

Cons
    HOT summers
    Mid size town 35000 10 miles away
    Large town 100000+ 25 miles away
    3 major nuclear facilities with 40 miles
    ANG base less than 10 miles
    2 other ng bases less than 10 miles
    Local gov is crazy
    Some illigel neighbors

Home site nearly indefensable

Premium Member

OK: here's mine.

STRENGTHS:

Good weather, mild winters
    Low cost of living
    I'm in a rural part of a growing town
    10 minutes to the N/S interstate
    5 minutes to major highways
    Creeks and lake nearby
    Multiple like minded neighbors (farmers, livestock, etc)
    Not too far from Bacpacker if i have to BO

CONS:

The local cops are asshats
    One of Northern Hemisphere's largest power plants is virtually in my back yard.
    My house in too close to the road for my liking
    The town as a whole is around 20k people, larger towns within 30 miles
    There is a small "airport" that does Gov contract training (I"m not sure how I feel about that.)
    Some, but not too many illegals
    The mainstreet/downtown section of town is just a mile or so off the Interstate

I know you are saying the local cops are asshats somewhat jokingly but that is good information to gather prior to a SHTF event going down. General asshat behavior might escalate to some seriously bad actions in the midst of a bad event.

Also, something those of us in small towns should consider is the availability of supplies in a bad event. Basically I'm relying on one WallMart, one Pigley Wigley and a small town hardware store for my supplies. Its not like I can hit 15 different places in search of needed items if push came to shove.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Premium Member

Strengths
    Know My neighbors
    separated from the main city by the river and interstate
    near a large commercial distribution hub
    near a large gun store
    just a few hundred yards from the police and fire station
    good garden in the back
    near the river

weaknesses
    to close to down town
    to urban
    not enough land to be self sustaining
    several large factories near by
    within riot distance of a couple of bad neighborhoods

I'll most likely shit myself

Good point about the leo's stig. When I was running our local EmComm group we had a reserve officer as a member. Thru him, I got to know a few of our local's and worked with them at a few events we helped with. Mostly they seemed OK. However our county sherriff is a drunk asshat and I'm sure that there are plenty of others just like him, probably in major leadership positions. Something to keep an eye on.

A couple other pro's I thought about:
    Parents live about 45 minutes away, good and bad
    local gun laws aren't bad
    cost of living is pretty cheap
    no major natural disaster typically, an occasional tornado, small earthquakes under 4.0, biggest problem is flooding at times. However where we are is in good shape for all that.
    Supplies come from a lowes, home depot, tractor supply, ace hardware, krogers, walmart, aldi all within 15 miles.

Aights:

Up a hill = tsunami safe Where I am at
    12 Miles out side of Anchorage the biggest town so I can have a small jump on traffic if I had to BO
    all main stores I need are here
    3 gun stores
    LE are awesome(everywhere for that matter)
    Fire station 1.5 miles away
    Nearest Nuke plant is by ya'll (neener neener)

Bummers:
    On a regular neighborhood street.
    Pretty sure all my neighbors on my particular street are retards & sheep and Im smack dab in the middle
    Hospital is 15 miles away
    Winters are slightly cold now and then
    Gas prices blow whale chunks. Currently 3.93 and that was yesterday. havnt checked today

thats for starters

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I know you are saying the local cops are asshats somewhat jokingly but that is good information to gather prior to a SHTF event going down. General asshat behavior might escalate to some seriously bad actions in the midst of a bad event.

Also, something those of us in small towns should consider is the availability of supplies in a bad event. Basically I'm relying on one WallMart, one Pigley Wigley and a small town hardware store for my supplies. Its not like I can hit 15 different places in search of needed items if push came to shove.
    Yeah, I don't deal with the Sheriff's dept much as I drive through city limits to get to my place, but I don't get the feeling these guys give 2 rats butts about the Constitution of a person's rights. Every time I drive by one who's pulled someone over, I've seen them violate the 4th, or so I assume. I highly doubt in a town where literally every other vehicle has a "don't tread on me" sticker that these people don't know their rights. One day, I sat and watched a cop field sobriety test a guy at lunch time, from what I witnessed the kid passed. I mean, if your drunk or inebreated, you're not gonna stand on one leg for very long. The cop cuffed him, put on the gloves, and went to searching the guys van.

Another guy watching told me his son was pulled over and searched as well, and told if he didn't allow it, they'd suspend his license. Now, I'm pretty sure that's illegal, right? I mean, if Joey Box of Donuts pulls me over for 10 over the limit and says I want to search your car, and I say no, he can't arbitrarily suspend my license.

As for supplies, there's 2 local farm supply stores that have been around for years, a Tractor Supply, an Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Ingles, Kroger, Publix, a few smaller discount chains, etc. Seems overkill for a 20K person town, but my data is a few years old. It could be a few thousand more. I'm also right around the corner from an animal farm that has everything from donkeys to camels. They're the local petting zoo, Christmas light, Christmas tree place, and I guarantee these people are preppers. Plenty of folks with cattle around the area.

I do plan on trying to do the CERT program with the county, to get an "in" that way. Hopefully I get this job tomorrow and have more free time to do so.
    Last edited by TEOTWAWKI13; 03-21-2011 at 11:21 PM.

Thought of a few more:

Strengths:
    Not in major flight path to airport
    One major international airport and two regional ones within 80 miles (more options to get wayyy out of town)
    Major SeaBee base within 60 miles (in the event of localized devastation they'd be on hand to assist)
    Despite being small city they have emergency management plan, equipment and crew

Weakness:
    Rail line through city (chance for derail/spills)
    Airforce base and minor space center within 60 miles (possible target?)
    Heavy pine forests and very dry weather (fire hazard)

More Bummers.
    Airforce Base and Army post 7 miles away
    Lots of bridges that could be taken out