Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food Prices and Prepping

For the Love of Cats

Because the Canadian People are Sheeple and The Gov't wont step in and stop gouging.

Figure this out...

We cut our trees, mill them into lumber, and sell it to the USA. The USA in turn sells it to you people.

The prices down there for our wood, is cheaper than we can buy it for. Enough so, that when I am building something, I drive 4 hours down into the States to buy all my lumber, that is stamped with a Maple leaf, and "Made in Canada" on it.

Do you have a robot?
    I say that you buy a deuce and a half then do a Costco run down here. It would pay for itself.......

For the Love of Cats

Anytime I am down, I bring a truckload of whatever I need/want back. But when you're talking a 'truckload' that requires some saving up, so I only do that once or twice a year

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    The 4 of us go through so much in groceries it's not even funny. My wife and I can eat whatever, but due to their medical issues, the twins have to eat extremely healthy. We go through at least $75 bucks worth of fresh fruit and veggies a week just for the kids. I never knew toddlers could eat so many veggies. My wife and I don't partake in the fresh stuff simply because we can't afford to. Prices are astronomical.

I've got to get a garden started. If S ever HTF, please, someone show up here that can actually grow food.
    I'll send seeds but bp will have to do the work, how's that for a deal? Just send some food back my way.

Where's the epi?

We shop at Sam's, Costco and the local stores. We buy bulk whenever we can find what we want and buy the "buy one get one free" deals at the local stores. No one doubles coupons here. Prices go crazy here. One month 50lbs of sugar will be $35 at sams and then 2 months later it will drop to $27 so we really just watch them and I buy a lot of one thing when I see the price when I know it's low. I do admit though that I only do a vague list and then buy what I see is on sale or something that I see we could use to add to our supply. Drives my DH nuts sometimes....always wants to know where I plan on putting it. "Don't worry about it....trust me" ha! Famous last words! I get away with a lot too because we do eat out more often than not so most of what I buy gets put away and we just make quick meals at home. Seems like we are always out in town during meal time so I get off easy.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    I'll send seeds but bp will have to do the work, how's that for a deal? Just send some food back my way.
    Since you'll be right down the road, sound like a deal.

The hail killed my garden last year, and I'm not one to have much of a green thumb to begin with.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

The 4 of us go through so much in groceries it's not even funny. My wife and I can eat whatever, but due to their medical issues, the twins have to eat extremely healthy. We go through at least $75 bucks worth of fresh fruit and veggies a week just for the kids. I never knew toddlers could eat so many veggies. My wife and I don't partake in the fresh stuff simply because we can't afford to. Prices are astronomical.

I've got to get a garden started. If S ever HTF, please, someone show up here that can actually grow food.
    Sounds like you need a kindly old grandfatherly type to retire near you to assist in the gardening, animal husbandry and entertain the twins with tales of adventure and what it was like in the good old days. Let me know when the spot for my RV and horse trailer is ready.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Sounds like you need a kindly old grandfatherly type to retire near you to assist in the gardening, animal husbandry and entertain the twins with tales of adventure and what it was like in the good old days. Let me know when the spot for my RV and horse trailer is ready.

I've got plenty of room. You're always welcome here.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Where's the epi?

I've got plenty of room. You're always welcome here.
    I say he move in between the 2 of us and we share him!!!!

Grumpy, hope you dont mind two other people deciding your fate online...........

We'll start the bidding.....