Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What BOB do you use?

What BOB do you use?

Just trying to get a sampling of what BOB you all are using? I have several, but currently use a good ol' faithful MOLLE. I am considering upgrading to something a little more dated. I use a Maxpedition Vulture 2 for my EDC. Want to get a newer pack set up to keep in my car.

Premium Member

My EDC is an REI daypack. It stays in my truck while I'm too and from work. My other BOB pack would also be an REI pack, but more of a 3 day hiking variety. I also own a Kelty longterm hiking pack as well.

I don't have anything military-ish, although I plan on getting at least one that could double as a hunting pack. I feel like it's worth it to have that option.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

It should come as no surprise to anyone that I use Maxpedition gear for nearly all of my various bags. I have several Condor II's, several Jumbo Versapacks, a Pygmy Falcon and on and on and on.

I find them to be fairly rugged, affordable and a good balance between military appearance/just another bag (not that I give two craps about that).
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

I have a Moutain smith Butt pack with suspenders I use for a GHB, as well as, for day hiking. I have 2 possibilities for my BOB. One a Kelty frame pack that carries great and will handle 80-90lbs as comfortable as you can be. I've had it for years with zero issues, great pack. The wife also got me a Lowe internal frame pack that I've never carried. About the same size as the Kelty, but I don't think I would want to handle more than 60-75lbs in it. I plan on testing it this fall.

I'm in the process of completely reorganizing my pack right now and god help me it is a mess. Should be a lot better when I'm done.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I have a Moutain smith Butt pack with suspenders I use for a GHB, as well as, for day hiking. I have 2 possibilities for my BOB. One a Kelty frame pack that carries great and will handle 80-90lbs as comfortable as you can be. I've had it for years with zero issues, great pack. The wife also got me a Lowe internal frame pack that I've never carried. About the same size as the Kelty, but I don't think I would want to handle more than 60-75lbs in it. I plan on testing it this fall.

I'm in the process of completely reorganizing my pack right now and god help me it is a mess. Should be a lot better when I'm done.
    When you get ready to test that pack let me know and I'll join ya.

Stig, I'd love some Maxpedition gear. That's what I'd really like to get myself. But for now, I've got suitable gear that just looks every day.

Premium Member

Kifaru Marauder, Kifaru E&E, Cabela's Game cart

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

I use an older version of the Mountainsmith Apex 75

I cant remember the exact name of the pack, but ive had it for 5 years and have had up to 80 pound loads with no problems. Im 6'5 and it fits me comfortably.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 03-23-2011 at 08:28 AM.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    It should come as no surprise to anyone that I use Maxpedition gear for nearly all of my various bags. I have several Condor II's, several Jumbo Versapacks, a Pygmy Falcon and on and on and on.

I find them to be fairly rugged, affordable and a good balance between military appearance/just another bag (not that I give two craps about that).
    I like Maxpeditions gear. Its very well constructed and seems built to handle extreme abuse. Whats the biggest pack they make?

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I run a Camelbak H2O for the truck, I then have the choice of a standard military tuck or a Jansport Bigbear. The wife will run a Jansport Scout.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

I'll most likely shit myself

z
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    I use an older version of the Mountainsmith Apex 75

I cant remember the exact name of the pack, but ive had it for 5 years and have had up to 80 pound loads with no problems. Im 6'5 and it fits me comfortably.
    I'm 6'4 myself and have had a hard time over the years finding a pack that fits right. That's one reason I hesitate to change up when I find something that works.