Thread: Maxpedition Gear: Reviews of Several Different Items

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Maxpedition Gear: Reviews of Several Different Items

I am a huge GearWhore and while I try to keep it in check, I do have a special craziness for Maxpedition gear.

I'll give you a quick review and blurb about each one:

Jumbo Versapack

Also very handy as a big Murse. I have one set up as a medical bag and use the other one as a day bag for training classes. I can stuff it full of pens, notepads, suntan lotion, small med kit, snacks, etc.

You would be amazed at the massive amount of gear you can stuff into one of these. The Versapacks come in a verity of flavors (I like the LEO the best). The med one hasn't seen much use, but the one that is hauled to classes has been drug through the muck and mire with no issues.

Multipurpse Bag

A very handy bag. I use it as a laptop bag for work (I am in industrial sales). While I do get the occasional odd look, this bag holds my laptop, catalogs, samples, resource material, pens, etc etc etc. It's handy to carry and fits under the seat on airlines.

It could double, very easily, as a bail out bag and you'd be able to haul a sick amount of gear with you.

So far it has held up to the daily grind quite well. After 6 months of use it looks as good as the day I got it despite a trip to Germany, 4 or 5 flights around the country and being schlepped into countless sales calls.

Pygmy Falcon

I've been using this one as an emergency supply kit while on my 3 week adventure. Honestly it hasn't done much other than sit in the car. From a utility standpoint it was moderately acceptable. It would be a great daypack but for anything more than that you'd run out of space quickly.

But, within the limits implied by the name, the bag does haul quite a bit of gear. One thing I didn't like is that when you filled the secondary pocket, the pocket accessed by the zipper on the front was nearly useless.

Not a bad design, I'm just not totally sold on it yet.

Lunada Gear Slinger

This has been my range bag for well over a year. Stuffed full of gear, hauled to the range on a weekly bases, various shooting classes, etc . This bag has gotten some hard use.

It's a very spacious bag with lots of nooks and crannies to stuff things. I was shocked on a few occasions with how much stuff I had crammed into it. That's in addition to the pouches I attached to it to increase it's carrying capacity. I've never weighed it, but I know there were several occasions where I easily had 30 or 40lbs in it.

I shorted up the carry strap to make hauling it easier but overall it's easy to sling on/off.

Other than some dirt, and a couple of the molle straps on the main carry strap that have torn loose, the bag has held up well.

This is a dandy bag and I could envision it being used in all sorts of capacities.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Multipurpse Bag

A very handy bag. I use it as a laptop bag for work (I am in industrial sales). While I do get the occasional odd look, this bag holds my laptop, catalogs, samples, resource material, pens, etc etc etc. It's handy to carry and fits under the seat on airlines.

It could double, very easily, as a bail out bag and you'd be able to haul a sick amount of gear with you.

So far it has held up to the daily grind quite well. After 6 months of use it looks as good as the day I got it despite a trip to Germany, 4 or 5 flights around the country and being schlepped into countless sales calls.
    Update a year and 3 months of daily use and I finally had a product failure.

One of the paracord zipper pulls came untied.

Still looks as good as the day I got it. If you travel a lot and need a laptop bag this thing is amazing. For a general purpose bag you could haul around 1/2 of Switzerland and not notice.

And I'm seriously using this bag a lot. It's been on countless airplanes since February of this year (for the record, commercial airliners are flat nasty) and every one of my sales-calls. That's a lot of schlepping and the stitches are still tight, zippers solid and no rips/scuffs/tears on the fabric.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Does not fish with big brother
    I have two [ 2] Jumbo Versapack. One of them is a basic grab bag and the other is a camera bag. Love them.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Stig, doesn't maxpedition have a lifetime warranty? Would they fix/replace the torn MOLLE?

I just bought a Vulture II and carry a Jumbo Versipack daily, love their products, the initial price is hard to swallow, but I haven't found a better product for my limited but hard uses than their products.

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    Stig, doesn't maxpedition have a lifetime warranty? Would they fix/replace the torn MOLLE?

I just bought a Vulture II and carry a Jumbo Versipack daily, love their products, the initial price is hard to swallow, but I haven't found a better product for my limited but hard uses than their products.
    Yes, I called Maxpedition back when the molle first broke on the bag. I could have sent in back in for repair but honestly I don't use those straps for anything and I didn't want to take everything out of my range bag, take off all the attached pouches, etc.

In short, they didn't bother me and I'm lazy.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout