Around here (upstate NY) wood is sold by the face cord. Its a 4'X8' stack of 16-20" split log. Basically less than 1/2 a full cord for $50-$80 delivered. Species of hardwood available here are generally Maple, Oak, Apple, Ash, Cherry, Hicory or Beech. Most people with wood stoves dont burn conifers (Pine, Spruce, Fir, Hemlock etc) because of creosote/chimney fire problems, only use it for starting a fire (fat lighter). Usually dont bother with Poplar (Cottonwood), Birch or Locust or other softer woods because you just dont get as much BTU/log.
Lots of folk will buy whats called "slab" wood. Its the mill leftovers when making lumber. You can get a huge dump truck load for $200ish delivered and it is usually about 6-8 face cord. Sometimes you get some odd shapes but most pieced will fit in a stove/fireplace easily. I bought a load once and there were some pieces that were 8X8", some various widths but mostly no more than say 3 or 4 inches thick. Stacked and split well. It was hardwoods as best I could tell and very clean as it was debarked. It did burn a lot hotter because of the smaller thickness. As I got lower in the stack I would use it mostly as kindling or to stoke up the fire quickly.