Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scenario planning

I'll most likely shit myself

Scenario planning

I've been giving this some thought the last few days. How do you folks go about planning your preps for various senario's? How do you try and rate the likely hood to rank them? I want to hopefully make sure I am covering all my bases. New ideas are always a good place to start.

As spread out as we all are, it might even be worthwhile listing some of you local senario's. Just might give someone else (me) something else to look at.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

I plan based on historical dat of events that have happened in my area- blizzard, hurricane, flood, etc. The event that has happened most often gets top priority.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

For the Love of Cats

^
    As he said, but I also add seasonality to the mix.

Right now my main concern is Blizzards/power outages.

In the summer Tornados/fires/power outages

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Right now, I'm planning for power outages and snow/ ice storms.

The rest of the year it will be tornados, tornados, oh, and more tornados.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Do you have a robot?
    Ditto.

Obviously money enters into it also depending upon what you have to plan for. The nice thing is that you should have a basic load, food,water and shelter. The problem is when you have people like Sniper, you sometimes have extreme weather. Your living situation is also important, apartment vs house, rent vs own etc. Those that own can make all the modifications they want whereas the renters need to put their monies toward a mobile fashion, since they may move in the future.

In our area we are looking at earthquakes, which anyone in California who does not do at least some planned is truly a moron, there are a lot of them. What a lot of people don't think about it fire after the quake. I try to spread my stuff out so if there is one and a fire results I will have some of stuff in different locations. That said wild-lands fire it a big thing out here. Clearing around the home is important as well as adding fire breaks. Those of us in rural areas need to take care of ourselves because the fire department will not be able to arrive in time. We also have floods in some of the lower lying areas. I am up higher, above the 100 year flood lines. Lots of things to think about with only limited funds.

My main concerns are financial and weather related disasters. We are prone to tornadoes, blizzards, and severe storms. Earthquakes and floods are not out of the realm of possibility, either. I would not be shocked if my house that jackass built burned down. My proximity to Chicago, Argonne, Fermi Lab, and several nuclear power plants means I am pretty screwed if a terrorist decides to go nuts. I am less than one mile from train tracks that haul all kinds of things. And I am pretty close to two prisons.

I really want to move.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

way I see it, you re less than a mile from catching a free ride if you have to.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

msomnipotent, looks like you have your work cut out for you in your present location. I'd take care of the natural disasters first. A few weapons in case of prison break and secure some good gas masks and filters should a train with chemicals derail. A good evacuation plan with tons of options would also be a must. The terrorist threat is something we all must deal with, problem is they usually don't announce when and where they will strike, so it is a crap shoot at best. If you plan for the rest you will be pretty much ready for anything.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

I'll most likely shit myself

Good discussion so far. I also prep for weather events, eathquakes, train derailments, & truck crashes.We also live not far from a airport and are in the flight pattern at times depending on the wind direction. I'm not sure there is much we can do for that other than be set for a bug out, but if one went down here that is just something that happens right now and nothing you can do.

Other things I worry about and plan for, Nuclear disaster, we live within 30 miles of 1 reactor and about 40 miles from 2 others in a different direction.
    I also feel very certain that the economy will take a serious nosedive sooner or later that will devastate this country.
    Possible CME from the sun.
    Epedemic/Pandemic.

I look forward to further comments.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I've been giving this some thought the last few days. How do you folks go about planning your preps for various senario's? How do you try and rate the likely hood to rank them?
    For me its a combination of historical record and common sense.

Being near the coast, in the deep south, near a lot of military bases I put our threats at:

Hurricanes
    Wild Fire (we're surrounded by pine forrests and a lot of scraggly underbrush)
    Some sort of chemical spill/super bad military ordinance explosion/nasty government materials released from (or in route to) a base/shipyard.
    Severe thunderstorms/hail/lightening
    Civil unrest should the coast go apeshit and people start pushing northward
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout