Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought the coolest thing yesterday

Bought the coolest thing yesterday

I built a forge, very cool. Anyway, while I was on a road trip yesterday, I stopped in the town of Salado to eat and let my wife take a picture of the worlds largest wind chime, it was big but I am sure it is not the biggest, anyway, there was a bunch of crap pouring out of this barn on down the road, and a sign said for sale. I stopped asked what was for sale. The lady said everything. So I am looking and in the back sat a 125 year old anvil. 205 pounds. She said her great great grandfather was a swedish blacksmith and brought it over from there. I got it for a mere 25 bucks! Can't wait to hammer some shit on this.

I'll most likely shit myself

Good find. I've been looking at anvils around here. Best price i found so far, $300 for a 75 lb.
    Care to share your plans on the forge build? I'd love to see pics.

Do you have a robot?
    Ditto here. Nice find. The only thing that I have right now is a piece of old rail road track, a poor substitute.

For the Love of Cats

NICE!!!

you do know that they were designed for pounding steel on though right? I don't see the benefit of what you're planning, but to each their own!

Good Score!

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Sniper, how did I know you were going to be a wise ass? Seriously though, that is a darned good find!!!! My 125 lb came from NC Tools Farrier supply and cost 15x as much.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

For the Love of Cats

^

I have no idea what you mean Grumpy...

Bacon saver

Begining to think you guys are retired? (Sniper and Grumpy) anyway great find, man you got to grab it while you can. Ya never know what you're gonna find around the next corner. Useful things, yes, useful things............worked for the Coyote didn't it?

Be safe........the night is your friend

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

BWRR13, I'm not retired, but I am the GM at a concrete block company. So by and large I have time to drop in and see what is going on more than most folks. On the flip side I am the one who gets the 3:00 a.m. phone calls from the authorities, the night watchman, the early shift, etc. Oh and I get to do any weekend stuff because I am a bargain before 8 a.m., after 5 p.m. and all weekend long! Lol. Rank has its privileges, but it has its drawbacks too.

BTW, there is an antique store in Hemet that I go to just for the old tools. And there are several great old antique shops up in Randsburg that I stop in whenever I am up that way for the same reason. I guess I'm kind of like my maternal grandfather- the family joke was that he always came back from the dump with more than he took there.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

For the Love of Cats

I'm not retired either, but do spend most of my day sitting at a computer. I leave the page open and when I have a minute or three, hit refresh.

yeah... I'm an addict

My forge

I watched a bunch of youtube vids on the subject. It was pretty simple. I have a cutting rig and a crackerbox so I built mine from steel diamond plate. There is a supplier about 15 miles from me so I went and bought a sheet, cut it out, welded it together and viola! I was making charcoal for it, but there is also a coal fired plant down the road that was just built. A friend of mine works there and brought me some sort of low grade coke that really works well in it. I was going to make knives and other crap but so far I have succeeded in making only a massive mess.