Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My next mock BO

Crotch Rocket

My next mock BO

I haven't gotten out on one of these since last spring, and I'm figuring I'm well overdue, so I'm tentatively planning for an outing next month. This time I'm thinking about doing something more (relatively speaking) realistic, and adding in a long - very long - road march/ overland hike. Running, Running Maps and Running Routes, Runners Community | MapMyRUN tells me my projected route is 28.23 miles long. The first half will be along dirt roads, which (assuming it snows by then, it hasn't here yet) may or may not be well plowed.

From there I'm looking to move 2-3 miles overland across a large state game area I'm more or less familiar with. Most of that will be on well defined, flat trails, with a stretch roughly one half to one mile long through some rugged terrain to reach my next roadway. I'll be traversing a series of gullies and ridges to get through that. I've never been through that section yet, but know there's an adjoining private property enclosed with a chain link fence. I'll have little to no chance of getting lost if I just follow that.

My next section of roadway is paved, but very hilly, and full of curves. I actually think it'll be the most dangerous portion of my walk since it'll have the heaviest traffic, and oncoming vehicles will have reduced visibility here. Luckily I only have about a mile of that, and I'm back on dirt roads, excepting six of my final 7 miles, where I'll be back on hardball.

Its going to be an ass kicker.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to camp out on that state game area or not, I think its closed to camping and/ or open fires. Either way I'm planning to RON (remain over night) outside "somewhere" for this trip, and complete the second half of the walk on the second day. So, with that in mind, I'm once again offering up my time to do field tests and reviews for the membership here. If the weight penalty isn't too great, or the action too extreme, I'll go for it, just have to let me know what you'd like to see.

I'll post up a proposed load out asap, but can already tell you I'll be trying Mainstay bars for the first time this trip, and I'm thinking about making some trades for a Henry Survival Rifle as a BOB gun. My review will otherwise be pretty standard fare: shelter type, fire making, etc.

I'm dreading and looking forward to this all at the same time.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

sounds good, brother. I always enjoy your AAR's
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

Thanks izzy!

I have a feeling the finish date for the promo vid will come up before I do this, but if not I should have some more pics for you to work with.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

well, we shall see. If I can't get wild blue to cooperate with upload and download speeds, it may get pushed back. right now, they say I use too much bandwidth. I saw, theyre full o crap.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Folks, if you have the time check out MIs past adventures in previous threads. All excellent info and highly recommended.

Also take MI up on his offer to try things out in the field. It's an excellent opportunity to try things out in real world situations. If you cant test something out yourself take MI up on his generous offer.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

For the Love of Cats

Sounds like fun!

Enjoy

Crotch Rocket

It usually is. I'm hoping the hike doesn't suck the life out of the camping part though. lol

My goal is to do something like this at least once every 3 months. I'll hit each of the seasons here that way, and be able to continually refine my kit as I go along. I only got two in last year, but really only missed one because I went to Joplin instead this summer. I learned a lot on that trip. This time I'll do the hike, and I'll be pushing my physical and mental limits to some degree, since the weather, length of the walk, and ability to call in a safety net will all factor in. Next time? I don't know yet. I want to incorporate something relevant and demanding in every outing, so I'm doing more than camping.

And now, to toot my own horn and supply the threads The Stig referenced:
    http://www.shtfready.com/general-dis...se-aar-39.html
    http://www.shtfready.com/general-dis...tions-307.html
    http://www.shtfready.com/general-dis...ssion-482.html
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

Sounds like a good hike Rat. I'll have to think about gear to test. You do a great job with that. AAR's are first rate.

Crotch Rocket

Thanks bp.

My mainstay bars came in today so I'll work on finishing the new load out for my pack tonight and get it posted tomorrow
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

MI, I can't answer about being able to stay in the state area but you might look for bridges on your route. I fish the river around my neck of the woods and have came across a few individuals camped/living there. Just an idea.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.