Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comm's

I'll most likely shit myself

Comm's

There hasn't been much traffic on the comms area of the forum. So he is an effort to get a little bit more going. I'd like to hear everyone's ideas and how you plan to communicate if TSHTF. Here is mine going on a secnario similar to this. Some event has caused total failure of all landline and cell phone comm's.

For close in comms, say 2 miles or less, the wife and I have 2 pair of FRS/GMRS radio's. range of 2 miles effectivly or less. They run on 2 AA rechargable batteries. I also have a small solar charger to keep them running. We use them a lot when I'm in the garden and she's up in the house. They are light weight so no problem carrying one.

For longer distance comms, we are both hams and we both have similar equipment. Handhelds for when we are on foot or if we were on horseback, atv's, or bucycle's. 5 watts power, adjustable down to 1/4 watt to conserve power. On high power and working thu repeaters I have worked stations 50+ miles away. Working simplex (radio to radio) they are capable of 5-10 miles at least depending on terrian. You can get aftermarket antennas that help extend the range.
    Mobile radio's for the home and vehicles output between 10 & 25 watts. They are capable of working up to 50+ miles on simplex. They require a 12 volt source to supply it, either a power supply or some type battery. I have chosen a Gel Cell for power down periods of times. These radios can be had, as can the handhelds, with dual bands (VHF/UHF) which equals many more frequencies. Also a very wide choice of antenna's.
    I also have a HF mobile radio that outputs 100 watts and is capable of talking to folks around the world or just across the state. Again battery or 12v power supply. Many antenna options, which has a huge affect on the HF bands.

What about you?

Claptrap's Problem Solver

SMS text messaging when cellphones are overloaded/jammed

FRS/GMRS for very short range

MURS handheld for several mile radio to radio conversations

CB for over the road comms (although my cheapo Cobra CB died and needs replaced).

A lot of holes in this plan I admit. Too much reliance on batteries, no HAMs, nothing to rugged. Thanks for bringing it up.

Wish there was a technology that offered the range of a HAM without the hassle of getting the license (I know it's an easy test but I flat don't have time for it now). Then again, I wish the mid 1990's Tiffani Amber Theison would swing by the house later tonight too.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Then again, I wish the mid 1990's Tiffani Amber Theison would swing by the house later tonight too.
    That would be nice!

I will find the site and post it for a very good study guide. I used it to upgrade and it worked well for me. Maybe some others that it would help as well.

Crotch Rocket

I'm in much the same position as The Stig, except I don't even have the MURS radio. Its a definite weak area.

In other news, is this close enough?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Works for me.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

I only had to take care of myself only most of my life, so it is a big black-hole in any prep I ever did. I am going to have to think about it soon though.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

my brother gave me a mobile CB. I've got a handheld to go with it. And 2 GMRS radios. I'm looking to get into HAM

Taliwacker Beards Deliver Rangerrific Awesomness

I got a couple Garmin Rhino's really good handhelds. They also show a small grid location for navigation.
    Those who cling to life die, and those who defy death live forever. -samurai saying.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I am now up to 2 CB base stations, 2 handheld CB's, and 2 FRS radios. Still waiting on the HAM......
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Bacon Spam

got the GMRS, 2 CB's for the vehicles and I just got my HAM license

only thing is I always thought HAM could work with CB freq's and was sorely mistaken