Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Comm's

I'll most likely shit myself

Lol I might be that fat kid. I wi try and find some helpful links for you to look at tonight. I net down at work now.
    Also PM sent.l

Premium Member

I'm like Bacpaker ... I have two HF Rigs, on in the house and the one in the truck is a Yaesu FT-859 HF plus VHF/UHF. The one in the truck is quickly removed by undoing a Velcro strap the power coupling and antenna connector. It is very portable and I have a small tub in the truck with a G5RVjr, a 40m and 80M dipole, and a old chair bag with an Eagle one collapsible vertical if I need to go with a base type antenna. I have a PVC Tube slung under the bod filled with various ham sticks. All my vehicles are prewired to move the 857 around. I can even run it from my power cart.

I also have Dual band VHF/UHF in the truck and house and a 2M 60 watt in the Jeep. CB Radios in my vehicles and the motor home. I have several hand held VHF/UHF and CB radios and FRS/GMRS out the wazoo.

Best of all ... I have a hard wired phone in my office. None of that VoIP or modern crap. That old phone system was designed to withstand an attack by the USSR! Even when all else is out of order that phone is still up and running.

Below is the Whacker mobile ... CB is out of the shot.

The office / Radio shack. With the exception of the TV everything here can or does run on 12VDC. There is also an Icom PCR1500 computer controlled receiver mounted on the back side of the desk Most of the handhelds are in a case in the closet. I need to make an EMP proof box for radio storage and to keep an extra spark box for the old Jeep.

Last edited by alpmco; 05-12-2011 at 11:47 PM.
    War is ugly, but to be dominated by aliens is even uglier!

Premium Member

OH!! My most valuable piece of equipment! Abduction prevention!
    War is ugly, but to be dominated by aliens is even uglier!

I'll most likely shit myself

Nice set up in the ham shack. I also like the photo's above the monitor.

Premium Member

I have considered getting two different types of radio. One is the cheap frs/gmrs (i believe) that anyone can buy at the local stores. Most people would have these types of radios and you can scan the frequencies to try to get a hold of someone if need be. This would be (at least in my mind) a good option since it is common. The other radio I am looking at would be a Frequency-hopping spread spectrum (FHSS) radio like the Motorola DTR series. There is one made by Trisquare but it is not as powerful as the Motorola in privacy. Here is a link that I would like to share about these types Establishing Private Radio Communications Using Consumer Grade Equipment, by R.E.G. - SurvivalBlog.com.

Anyways, point behind that is, having these two different radios, I can communicate with a good amount of people. If I had to talk in PVT for whatever reason (OPSEC) I would use the Motorolas.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Pretty good description. I was just thinking thru your next to last post.
    Vhf and to a slightly less degree is line of sight for comm's. Not 100% but close. You being on the hill will help with that. You just won't make it to the back side of the hill much at all.
    CB's are lower in freq., somewhere around 29 mhz. You still get some line of site but not as much as vuf/uhf.
    Gmrs freqs are all on uhf. Ham has bands on both, plus hf for longer distance work.
    CB starts at 26.965 and stops at 27.405 Mhz. 29Mhz is 10 meter ham, just an fyi...

The FHSS equipment is designed to be used with mated equipment. It is very similar in operation to trunked equipment, so unless someone is using the same equipment running the same settings a single rig will be worthless. Our County Coroner uses them just to tick off the County Sheriff who wants every agency on his trunked system. So the Sheriff went and bought a DTR for the Dispatch office bit the Coroner keeps changing settings when the SO figures them out. Coroner wants ALL calls routed through the office anxwering system so there is a paper trail. Smart man...

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by alpmco View Post
    OH!! My most valuable piece of equipment! Abduction prevention!
    Alp......I missed this the when you posted it originally. Does it come in flat dark earth?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout