Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's my new com setup

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that through our discussions, if things were ever bad enough to meet up, we'd all know it, and just do it. No commo reqiured.

Callsigns and codenames? meh. I've had quite a few of them over the years. Whatever the other guys want to be called.

"Lunchbox, this is Izzy, over. What do you think?"

So I guess my plan to use the call-sign "Massive Johnson" is ill advised?

Rubber Ducky?

Stroker Ace?

Dammit....now I have to rework everything.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    ^Does anyone wonder how we would communicate if all advanced forms of communication went down?
    I've wondered about it but my guess is something causing the entire communications grid to fail, for a lengthy period of time, would be rather serious. As much as I'd like to stay in touch with everybody my assumption would be I'd be more focused on surviving day-to-day and trying to stay in touch with my family in the county.....let alone friends across the country.

Maybe I'm just being short-sighted here and someone will say "xyz is a simple form of comms over a long distance" but as yet I haven't discovered it.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

Just a small legal notice inserted here. As long as things are still up and running, it is illegal to use code or anything similar while using the HAM bands for your comms. After SHTF I don't think it will be an issue. This is a FCC rule. I'm not sure about the bus bands.

That said, having that worked out in advance would be worth planning out in advance.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    do you and your group have callsign designations? you may NOT want to be using your real names over the air. additionally... you may want a code, in that you may not want to discuss 'real' situations, over the air, when made up terms could be better for opsec.

I'm not military, nor even ex... so this stuff isn't second nature to me, but these are my 2 cents worth.
    I'm pretty sure that through our discussions, if things were ever bad enough to meet up, we'd all know it, and just do it. No commo required.

Callsigns and codenames? meh. I've had quite a few of them over the years. Whatever the other guys want to be called.

"Lunchbox, this is Izzy, over. What do you think?"

"Company Leader Calling Raven. . .Company Leader Calling Raven. . Company leader to identify Baker Team "

heheh, had to do it!
    Last edited by Stormfeather; 01-15-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

My callsign used to be Commanche Grey 6 Romeo. When I was an instructor it was Ghost 6
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    "Company Leader Calling Raven. . .Company Leader Calling Raven. . Company leader to identify Baker Team "
    "Acknowledge green smoke, over."
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

A series of Semiphore stations would be the way to go if communications were to be down long term.

"The desert is wet." I repeat, "The desert is wet."
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    HAM preset channel 1 for now. It's a simplex freq, no repeater for now.

I'll get everyone that has one a channel breakdown, just for reference. But you wont need it unless you give the freq to someone. Everthing is preset in the Saber
    How hard would it be to put a repeater up in my area, and would this be of any benefit if we did?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    How hard would it be to put a repeater up in my area, and would this be of any benefit if we did?
    for that question, I would refer you to bacpacker. He's my RTO and subject matter expert on all things radio.

I'll most likely shit myself

repeaters

Stormy ham repeaters are typically used on high band VHF(144-148mhz) and UHF(440-446mhz). In some cases they are uded on low band VHF(50-54mhz) and even less frequently on 10M(28mhz.
    In all cases I know of they are for shorter range comms. For example our most wide area local repeater cover a large portion of TN from Chattanooga to about Greenville and west to about Crossville. However it has been coordinated not to interfere with other surrounding repeaters on that freq. It is on a mountian top at 4000+ft elevation and is running 50-100 watts using commercial grade antennas. A typical repeater set up would cover maybe 40-50 miles. In your area being somewhat flat unless you could get your antenna up on a cell tower, water tower, or tall building your coverage would probably be. More like 30-50 miles.
    I have never used a 10m repeater, so I will not comment on those . If you want i can do a little research on them.
    I hope this was somewhat useful.