Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's my new com setup

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Here's my new com setup

So, in planning for all things to go south, or just for emergency communications, I set myself and my "group" up with mobile coms.

I purchased 4 Motorola Radius P110's and 12 Motorola SAber 2's.

The P110's are UHF band, business class radios and will provide good coms in urban envvironments and just good general use radios. I have hand mic's, throat mics, and headsets for all of them. I was also able to score some Eagle Industries Radio pouches made specifically for this radio.

The Saber 2's are programed with both HAM freq's and MURS channels. This gives me some good versatility in their use, and the ability to reach out farther than the 110's. They are VHF band, so they will be perfect for use around here. Extra mics and headsets are on order. I've already tested these out to around 13-15 miles, resulting in crystal clear coms.

I figure both sets of radios will provide ample communication capabilities for myself and the rest of the team. I still want to get a base station HAM setup, but baby steps.

What do you guys think?

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

Sounds like a flexible, useable, set up. I've never used either of those, but the look like they should do you well.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Speaking of group related emergencies. Do you happen to have any channels designated? Hint--Hint.

We might need to discuss that.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

HAM preset channel 1 for now. It's a simplex freq, no repeater for now.

I'll get everyone that has one a channel breakdown, just for reference. But you wont need it unless you give the freq to someone. Everthing is preset in the Saber
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Where's the epi?

What about an EMP/solarflare? Will they be hit?

^^
    Lady, I think they would be hit pretty hard and I'd say that if we get either of those scenarios radios won't be our top concern.

Where's the epi?

^Does anyone wonder how we would communicate if all advanced forms of communication went down?

For the Love of Cats

do you and your group have callsign designations? you may NOT want to be using your real names over the air. additionally... you may want a code, in that you may not want to discuss 'real' situations, over the air, when made up terms could be better for opsec.

I'm not military, nor even ex... so this stuff isn't second nature to me, but these are my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    ^Does anyone wonder how we would communicate if all advanced forms of communication went down?
    Member "callsign" recognition??? (visual-big letters)

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that through our discussions, if things were ever bad enough to meet up, we'd all know it, and just do it. No commo reqiured.

Callsigns and codenames? meh. I've had quite a few of them over the years. Whatever the other guys want to be called.

"Lunchbox, this is Izzy, over. What do you think?"