Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Faraday Cage Test

I'll most likely shit myself

That's good stuff. Very useful for many things.

Thanks for posting.

As for what to put in a box, I'd put in some LED flashlights, a few HTs, FRS/GMRS radios, a small HF rig, my antenna tuner.

Bacon saver

I have a "HAM" held radio that will go nicely in there, ol' CB should go in there as well. AWWW CRAP, ok now we have to have a "fly" box and a Garage box. Sure a GM HEI distributer would go in there too. Fits almost anything. As for me it would be an extra set of power inverters for my off grid power system..........Aw hell just line a room in your basement if ya got one. Then all you need is electricity right?

Be safe..........the night is your friend

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

EX, I like that you checked this out. It doesn't matter if its proven or not to me, I know my electronics won't work if I don't try something. I'm no scientist so I'm going to foil up me some boxes and I just happen to have some rolls of the tape left from replacing all the duct work in our little shack.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

For the Love of Cats

k, so in theory then, if all it takes is aluminium foil to protect them, all you would have to do is wrap your electronics in a few wraps of foil, right?

Have you tried that?

Thanks for sharing, btw

Premium Member
    i am thinking a cell phone or a computer after an emp attack/solar flare are not worthy things to worry about. cell towers will be dead, satellites likely fried, computers will basically be paper weights.

Premium Member

farraday cage?

Quote Originally Posted by greg48 View Post
    i am thinking a cell phone or a computer after an emp attack/solar flare are not worthy things to worry about. cell towers will be dead, satellites likely fried, computers will basically be paper weights.
    i seen on a tv show last weeka guy made and tested a farraday cage out of a alumnium trash can? anyone hear or seen this, any ideas on results?

Crotch Rocket

My Faraday Cage Test

I've heard of it, just haven't done it to test it. I've seen and done the cell phone test with other aluminum containers though, and it does work.

By the way, cell phones and laptops may not be worthy of caging for comms use post event, but their range of functions and use goes so far beyond that either one can still be useful. Think data storage and home security/ systems controls, just to name a few.

I saved an old laptop with a linux OS with the idea to build a security system around it eventually.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Re: My Faraday Cage Test

A computer could be helpful with a ham radio for digital modes. You never know.

I'll most likely shit myself

IMO Ham radios, any radios for comms for that matter, should be included. A laptop fod digital comms or just data storage. Thumb drive, back up hard drive with all your important data. GPS, most anything along those lines.