Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organization

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Organization

Organization is one of the fundamental skills all preppers should have.

Having a mountain of food, gear and supplies doesn't mean much if you can't find what you need, when you need it.

What sort of tips and tricks do you use to keep your prepps organized?

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I know that most individuals like the standard tubs (blue, gray, etc) as do I. My advice is to make sure you label everything in the tub correctly and stack them accordingly (access is the key)

Staff

I love the totes/tubs and theyr'e good organizers for quick mobility with vehicles. I label them accordingly for different needs and functions and ANYBODY in the family can read and assess the role of importance based on how I've labeled them.
    I also use the hell out of milspec shipping crates,ammo cans,and other sound storage devices.(you should see how unsuspicous a 5 gal pail can be!)

The source of all known trouble in the universe

The "toolbox" in my trunk is most interesting.

Staff

If I know you,I bet it is!

Premium Member

I use Rubbermaid Action Packer Totes, 8-gallon and 24-gallon sizes to contain and organize most of my preps that will fit. A few other containers hold some oversize items. The rest are large enough and built so as to be an independent unit. I keep track of everything in an Excel spreadsheet. I'm in the process of reorganizing some things at the moment. When that is finished I'll label the totes in some manner to link the shee to the contents of the various totes.

Staff

I like the excel spread sheet Idea Jerry! I keep all my vital documents copied on a 8g thumbdrive for bug out purposes,so I could definately fit a couples of extra excel cells for say,inventory,dose calculation spreadsheets,invers square law calculations and more.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Quote Originally Posted by gunbuilder69 View Post
    I like the excel spread sheet Idea Jerry! I keep all my vital documents copied on a 8g thumbdrive for bug out purposes,so I could definately fit a couples of extra excel cells for say,inventory,dose calculation spreadsheets,invers square law calculations and more.
    All my vital documents are hidef scanned. There is one copy in a secured usb key and another copy is stored in a secured remote site.

Original Shack Daddy

Well other than separating the beans from the boolits.

You have to stock non-long term commercial food in a rotating basis. You have to actually like the food that you are storing, and eat it regularly. This will in a small way delay food fatigue. Don't store items you don't like to eat. Don't store only a few types of items in mass quantities, but spread out different foods to mix it up in your diet, or are complimentary to each other.

Rice and beans get old, so does spam.

Have complete sets of gear, food, water, weapons, clothes, and other necessities separate from your larder that are grab and go capable at a moment's notice. Change out expendables, foodstuffs, and water monthly, and replace from your rotation stocks.

Even better, have such equipment pre-positioned in dispersed site(s).

Budget for your preps.

Have a go to pistol and long-arm ready to go. Have the necessary amount of mags or stripper clips for each (you decide the amount, but don't overdo it) sitting right next to them. I like bandos for this purpose, whether shotgun or rifle. Easy for quick acquisition.

Separate your ammo by type for each container, and make them easily recognizable. Different size or shape containers would work.

Have a plan, a backup plan, a backup for the backup, and so forth. Be redundant in your thinking. Never allow one implement or situation be your only recourse between success or failure, life or death. The more options you have, the better you're off.

As far as expendables, and the little things that make for a better life, buy them in pairs or threesomes, and store them separately from each other. Don't put them all in one drawer. As an example, one in your house or BOL, one in your vehicle, one in your BOB.

I'll think more on this.

Premium Member

We try to keep everything Prep related in 1 general area. So if we have to round things up we are not chasing all over the house to gather gear. Another thing we do is to mark the calendars for refreshing bags and first aid gear that way stay current.