Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Back Up Transportation

I'll most likely shit myself

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleShooter View Post
    Have often wondered about the benefit of hotair balloon knowledge.........Both as a mode of travel and as a mode of observing your AO...
    They would be nice, right now. Thinkin back to the civil war and WW1, probably not so much in bad times when weapons are abundant.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    They would be nice, right now. Thinkin back to the civil war and WW1, probably not so much in bad times when weapons are abundant.
    Unless you want to send up an empty one to distract and draw out your enemies.

After more thought, why not use small ballons and send up video camera's for Recon. Sort of a poor mans drone, just not the mobility.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

You would need to have a ready supply of helium , or other lighter then air gass to inflate those balloons.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    After more thought, why not use small ballons and send up video camera's for Recon. Sort of a poor mans drone, just not the mobility.
    MIght be better off buying some RC helicopters or something for that though, I think you'd have better control over the direction its facing...
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Premium Member

Watercraft?

This isn't for everyone -- but a canoe or rowboat holds a lot of gear. French voyageurs carried goods to trade to the Indians in a whopping big canoe. Trouble with a rowboat is that you row facing backward. Trouble with a canoe is that it's tippy. But either will get you up or down the river or across the lake. My Indian ancestors used both as their highways.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by DisasterGuy View Post
    This isn't for everyone -- but a canoe or rowboat holds a lot of gear. French voyageurs carried goods to trade to the Indians in a whopping big canoe. Trouble with a rowboat is that you row facing backward. Trouble with a canoe is that it's tippy. But either will get you up or down the river or across the lake. My Indian ancestors used both as their highways.
    Simple solution to this is multiple kayaks tethered together to for a catamaran style boat. Ive got the rigging set up for multiple kayaks to make them into a cat style boat if need be. Im sure a simple welding solution could be welded up for some canoes as well.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Ive got multiple options available. BUT, my primary goal is to bug in versus bug out.

1- Mountain bikes with game carts
    2- horses nearby
    3- Kayaks due to my proximity to water
    4- I also have a couple of old 1970's harleys that would only need to be push started in case of EMP.
    5- If all else fails, all these years in the Infantry, well, lets just say im used to humping around with a heavy pack, so im no stranger to it.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Back up would prolly end up being a bikle for me, downside is that I can't carry as much crap with me.

Stormy hit the nail on the head.......my ultimate backup are these size 11's.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Izzy I want to see you load a bike up with the stuff in your car. That would a picture worth taking