Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back Up Transportation

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

Back Up Transportation

Myself and LUNCHBOX had one of our regular SHTF talks at work last night and came across something that i hadnt given much thought about. In the event your vehicles are out of commision and you need to bug out, what other avenues of transportation do you have on hand other than walking?

If your like me you have way more gear/supplies than you can carry on your back and factor in the family, your payload is at a bare minimum. One idea i came up with was a trike (the ones with pedals) and a wagon to pull behind. That would give me much more payload capacity. I know i would be confined to roadways, but im thinking of an early SHTF situation where the threat of violence would be minimal.

(This is an "EMP" type event where motorized vehicles are out of order.)
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

Premium Member

It would be by foot for me, with a game cart for the equipment and supplies.

I'll most likely shit myself

Good question. The only thing I have that would help is a old Duetz german 2 cylinder tractor and a 16' trailer. Good point weight would not be a factor or terrian. But speed would a huge disanvantage.

Premium Member

Well, initially it would've been my mountain bike, but that got stolen, so I have to replace it ASAP. I want to get a game cart type rig as well. I'll call it a garden cart though so the wife don't get all nuts. And if I can commandeer the Craftsman lawn mower from the parents for my trip to Chattanooga, I could potentially use that as well. I'd be the one wearing the beer helmet.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I guess I'm gonna have to hoof it.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I pictured Kodiak on this tribe and it cracks me up (6' 6" and 360 lbs) I just hope he has an orange flag on a whip...lol. As for the question, we have horses but I don't want to depend on them. Let's hope its not emp.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

I really plan to get a dual sport motorcycle. The problem of fuel is of course the main issue.

I suppose the next best option would have to be a game cart.

Premium Member

I'm buggin in. If things get bad enough where I have to bug out, I'm sure I'll be able to find something. FYI, if I WERE to bug out, it's an 8-10 hour drive trough the Rockies. So, walking won't happen.....

Premium Member

Used mountain bikes are everywhere. Well priced new ones can be had at places like walmart. A cart behind is an excellent idea. I originally had kept an old 83 Jimmy for the post EMP era, but ditched it on the premise that I wouldn't be able to get good gas for long enough to make keeping it up worth while. Bike or walk. If you have to relocate, try to get near a body of water.

The hot sexy one

Have often wondered about the benefit of hotair balloon knowledge.........Both as a mode of travel and as a mode of observing your AO...