Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to overcome fear

Need to overcome fear

If, IF SHTF, transportation will be halted as we know it. We have horses, and I am scared to death of them. Wife loves them, I on the other hand do not. Anything bigger, stronger than me with a mind of its own, is a problem for me. Lived in Texas my whole life, and not once ever been on a horse. How do I overcome this?

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Get on and ride?
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Yeah, only way is to get on. I don't like them myself, but not because I am afraid of them, because they don't seem to do what I want.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

Only way to over come the fear is to face it. You may not want to just get on and ride however. have the wife teach you how to approach the horse, lead you around in the paddock then ride in the paddock, then go out and ride with the wife.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

A long time and two vertebrae ago I felt the same way. (A horse and the ground double teamed me) I did attempt to get back on but couldn't lift my leg....lol. At this point I'm not going to put all my trust in a horse since I may have to shoot of its back.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

So lets get this straight. You are MARRIED and are scared of horses? Holy crap. Your fears may be misguided, my friend.

Christopher Reeves comes to mind

Truth is I fell off my Harley and it took almost two years to completely heal. So the last thing I want to do is end up in that predicament again, especially at 54.

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

I understand.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by nepreneaux View Post
    Truth is I fell off my Harley and it took almost two years to completely heal. So the last thing I want to do is end up in that predicament again, especially at 54.
    Certainly reasonable.

Maybe start spending some time with them if you don't already? Perhaps if you get to know them, spend some time brushing them, feed them a snack, etc you'll get to a point where you feel comfortable moving to greater degrees of interaction and trust.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by nepreneaux View Post
    If, IF SHTF, transportation will be halted as we know it. We have horses, and I am scared to death of them. Wife loves them, I on the other hand do not. Anything bigger, stronger than me with a mind of its own, is a problem for me. Lived in Texas my whole life, and not once ever been on a horse. How do I overcome this?

When I was 17 yrs. old I went into the Army. I was afraid of heights to an extent. The recruiting Sergeant was Airborne and convinced me to do it. His explanation was most people fear heights to a degree. But if you face your fear and go at it with the purpose of conquering it in a straight forward manner and learning everything about it you'll find that the fear was made by you own mind by things you saw or heard.

As a wise old Airborne trooper once told me. Son as long as you have butterflies in your stomach means you're paying attention to the details of what your doing.
    The day you lose that feeling you are very likely to get hurt or die because you weren't paying attention.
    I say get all the advice you can from horse people and you'll find that horses are very easy to live and ride with. Good luck.