Thread: Lumber Rack

I'll most likely shit myself

Lumber Rack

I finally got my lumber rack finished today and partially loaded. Here's a few pics. The first one is the upper attachment point. I cut the 4x4 on a 10 degree angle and drilled holes to accept 1/2" lag bolts.

Then on the bottom I cut it at 90 degrees and set them on another 4x4 to support the rack.

Lumber Rack :: 100_3427.jpg picture by bacpacker - Photobucket

I used 3/4" black pipe and drilled into the 4x4's 3" to seat them . I put 5 rows on each post and placed post every 2 feet. I figure it should hold somewhere around 1000 board feet of lumber.

Lumber Rack :: 100_3427.jpg picture by bacpacker - Photobucket

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Nice work bud. That's very cool. Simple and rugged looking.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I would think that there would be a way to keep BP from posting pictures......haha. Just kidding BP, that's a good set up.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

LB, you don't like my pics? I'll just stop posting them then.

I just had to come up with something to get all my lumber in one place. I have already filled the bottom two rows with 2x stuff left over from this and that. The next two rows are for the left over oak from the chicken coop. Top row will probably end up being odds and ends, pipe, PVC, conduit, small lumber, etc.

The problem I have, the floor of the shop is not poured yet. I'm waiting till I get my electric ran in underground, then save up the bucks for the pour. With this rack I can unload it, tear it down, pour the floor and reassemble and even add on to if needed, after the floor cures. No wasted material. The hardest part of building the thing other than handling it all by myself was cutting the pipes to length and driving them into the 4x4's. Glad thats done.
    Last edited by bacpacker; 01-17-2012 at 01:27 AM.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Again I'm envious. I wish I had a places to store wood. (big sigh) It looks great and simple too.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I like it. I'll add that to the list of other things you have to come help me with....... chicken coop........garden.......lumber rack........
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

My cousin used to keep a lot of pipe around. He would keep short pieces in barrels. Just a thought.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

I'm planning on using a metal trash can or something similar for cut offs. I hope to have a working wood shop one day, if nothing happens and the creek don't rise, and do have a lot of cutoffs from the chicken coop. I may use them for kindling or just save up for the shop.
    I also have plans for a shelving unit to store out canned goods on in the stairwell to our basement, so some of the cutoffs may get used there, hopefully.