Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vehicles: How many can you fix?

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

Older vehicles i can do anything on. New computerized stuff, I just don't have the equipment to determine what is going on. Never needed a timing light, did it real old school, by sound.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

He can get it up, but getting it down again might be, ah, interesting....wait...we're talking about airplanes right?
    VW aircooled, Jeep watercooled, Ford in-line six, both the 240 and 300s. Guess that kinda dates me, huh?

Been workin on cars and trucks for over 45 years, ever since I hopped up my 56 Chevy by installing a Carter 4 barrel carb.
    I actually enjoy pulling a trashed motor out of a vehicle, stripping it all the way down to a bare block and putting it all back to like new, doing everything myself except machine shop work.
    I don't do transmissions or differentials, simply because I've never had to.
    In 1993 I bought an 82 Chevy S-10 for $400 that had a spun rod bearing, at 145,000 miles on the clock. Rebuilt the motor, kept her 15 years, rebuilding the motor again at 300,000. By the time I got rid of her (at 378,000), about the only thing original on it was the cab, transmission, rear end. That truck taught me a lot.
    God gives each one of His children a talent. Mine is figuring out how things work and fixing them when they're broke.
    Never got further than high school, worked blue collar jobs all my life, but I am truly Blessed.

Walking on Sunshine

Stg1,
    You and me both if it's pre 70's I can usually manage to fix the cars. I tuned my bil's car by listening to it running down the road. His shop teacher told him it was one point off factory specs when he brought it in. Course he had to tell them his SIL did the tuning it by listening to it.
    Taz, grab the Chiltons when you can, especially the older ones. Wish I could have gotten the ones from Pop's house before trustee had them thrown out. Most of them were from the late 50's early 60's.

on my old chevy 305 small block whatever i need to do my wifes ford explorer 4.0 l it took me 5 hours to change the alternator that MFing tensioner wouldnt turn with a wrench had to get a prybar and do it the old fashioned way i hate that pos. who builds a 5000lb car with a full time awd feature you cant turn off?? who at ford thought this was a good idea tranny dying both back coil springs is broke its gonna be target practice here soon