Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Made me a survival knife

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Made me a survival knife

Ok, so it's nothing super cool, but I figured I'd give it a try.

Small, low-profile, and compact. Fits easy inside a small survival kit. You can tape it anywhere.Cuts and saws (what it's supposed to do, right?).

I'm not great at sharpening knifes, but as it stands, it cuts 550 cord pretty well, so I'm cool with it. I dont need to shave with it.

Oh, did I mention I made it from a hacksaw blade?

I made like 6 of these things just because I could. It was fun.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

Good thinking Izzy. Small, inexpensive, lightweight, whats not to like. Did you make a kydex sheath to go with it? wise ass comment don't you know.

Crotch Rocket

I saw this thread at home last night when I couldn't view pics. Now that I can see them. I like Good job!
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    I saw this thread at home last night when I couldn't view pics. Now that I can see them. I like Good job!
    I'll have you one out for testing for your next Bug Out Exercise.

Making a sheath (nylon, Bacpacker) right now.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Izzy, I have a number of 9' bandsaw blades 1 1/4 " wide. You want me to cut you some segments to play with? I have the mechanics save the old ones for just such purposes.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Crotch Rocket

Woohoo! I like having new things to play with in the field. Thanks!
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Izzy, I have a number of 9' bandsaw blades 1 1/4 " wide. You want me to cut you some segments to play with? I have the mechanics save the old ones for just such purposes.
    yeah man, I'm all over it. Shoot me a PM

SO in the interest of Tunnelrat's expedition, I decided to slave away and put my meager sewing skills to the test. Here's the sheath I made for his trip. It is made of nylon webbing and has a belt loop and a smaller loop at the bottom. My thinking was that even it it does not go on a belt, the 2 loops give a lot of verstility if one wanted to strap it onto something. It is just wide enough that it fits very nicely underneath MOLLE webbing. It's not much to look at, but it works.

Crotch Rocket

Awesome. I've already got a home picked out for it on my gear for this trip. Now to decide how to best T&E it for you.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

on the next sheath, if you fold over the doubled end so that it's 4 thicknesses, and don't stitch it right at the edge of the end of the folded piece, it will stick up just a bit and prevent it from being pulled out of that molle webbing so easially. Or just tie some 550 through that bottom loop tight so it bunches the nylon up. Just a thought. I like it. I have a couple of old hacksaw blades lying around. what do you use to cut a hacksaw blade? another hacksaw?