Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you live in a 14.long-x-12.ft wide-x-8.ft tall space as your home in the future

Claptrap's Problem Solver

If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

A laugh a minute
    hell yes, I am living in a 18X6X8 Ft sardine can (Aka) Travel trailer. and that is the outside dem. Have been for a year now.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

Sure, all it requires is a little careful planning. Get rid of your excess junk , and concentrate on the essentials.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

For the Love of Cats

ok... I have to chime back in here.... a bunch of us (myself included) have said YES we can do this...BUt, we'd have to downsize.

Let's put it into perspective.... I posted pics of my pantry, my main kitchen cupboard, and my spices.

These alone, would take up a good portion of the shack you're proposing. What I showed didn't show my LTS. So at BEST, it would be a 2-3 month supply... if stretched.

As a prepper, and if you want x # of days/weeks/months of preps... NO! that size shack... you could not be self sufficient! you will need secondary, and thirdary storage.

I am quite accomplished at making use of every square inch of space... but seriously... there is a small likelyhood that you could store enough food within that shack alone, to last for an off season; unless you are in a continuous grow zone.

I said I could live in one... and I could. BUT, I would suffer serious malnutrician at least twice a year, unless I was able to stock a PILE of vitamins.

Small house living is easy, given some time, and given that you can be happy being with yourself. but you still have requirements. food! water! tools!etc!

your home may be that big, but you will need a decent sized shed/root cellar to store your supplies.

IMO
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 01-26-2012 at 01:12 AM.

I'll most likely shit myself

Totally agree. Like you said it would be very livable, just no storage to speak of, unless you have a underground or attic space for storage. Since we plan on having a farm of some size with animals, I would tend more to build a barn and build a small apartment type space in it. You would still have plenty of room for storage and only need the same roof space.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Yes, I could do it for sure. If I had to take my wife's shoes along? nope. If I were gonna do it, I'd spring for a murphy bed so I could actually have space enuff to move around during the day. Sleep is essential when working like a slave for sustenance farming, which I assume most of us would be doing if we lived in a "shack" this size. I think I'd probably have to build in a storage loft, that is climate controlled to have space for LTS foods, and off-season storage of winter or summer clothes and stuff I don't always use. I'd obviously want some of the luxuries of modern life, so I'd need a shower and etc. inside, but I think it's definitely do-able.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Where's the epi?

Ok, I'm going to be the oddball here. Nope. Could I do it for a temporary fix while building something larger and know it isn't forever? Yes. I think the way all of us here prep it would be impossible to live in that amount of space and live like we do. I would need separate buildings for everything. Summer kitchen for one building, a workshop for reloading and sewing or crafts. I for one really don't feel like having to go out into another building in the wintertime or in the pouring rain (normally when we like to do our hobbies since there isn't anything else to do) to work on a project. I need almost that much space right now to store all of my LTS and shtf supplies. I would not want to put them out into another building due to climate control and security. I also would have to think about having animals in that amount of space since I keep them indoors. These are just some of my concerns when thinking about living in such a small space. Adding a basement would then throw off the "measurements" that have been cited here so cannot be used when considering living in this space.
    I apologize for nothing...

Grand Poobah of the Smart Car Appreciation Society
    She will have Three ft of storage under the floor starting right after the 4.ft mark in the place .The front four ft is taken up by water stowage space and few other thigs plus she will have at the end of the living quaters a 14.ft long-x-12.ft round-x-12.ft tall storage space for all her long term supplies .

The basic idea was her to live in a smaller area for her long term living area for the rest of the unit is for the storage of long term food and other supplies .

For the Love of Cats

She? her?

I thought you were building it for your self. Is this what you're going to do with your MIL?

lol

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

^^^^^^

I wouldn;t stick my MIL in one of those. Id save it for myself. Of course, it would need to be padded, soundproof, and away from children................wait............maybe that would be good for my MIL.................
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.