Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you live in a 14.long-x-12.ft wide-x-8.ft tall space as your home in the future

Grand Poobah of the Smart Car Appreciation Society

Can you live in a 14.long-x-12.ft wide-x-8.ft tall space as your home in the future

Here is something i have allway's thinking about alot here as i was asked to help someoe who is single design a small cabin with a few upgrades to the cabin with solar and wind add to the cabin.

So could you live i that small of space if it was design right for a single person to live out there days in peace and quiet as they get older in life

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I think you can adapt to that size living easily. Look at inmates that spend years/life in prison. You can always step outside for space.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Oh, yeah. i could handle i, if I were single.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

There's a book about a person living in a 12' x 12' cabin. No electricity or running water either and it was her permanent home.

Total off the grid living. Extremely interesting. You can find it here: Amazon.com: Twelve by Twelve: A One-Room Cabin Off the Grid and Beyond the American Dream (9781577318972): William Powers: Books

For the Love of Cats

I have a great uncle, who lived in his trappers cabin year round. he trapped in the winter and explored for the HBC in the summer. his cabin was 2 feet deep in the ground, and measured only 7 X 7. with a height of 5-1/2 feet.

My dad built a cabin on his homestead, that was used as such for 30+ years and it measured 12 X 16. and during hunting season it often had 5 guys in it for 2 weeks.

It wasn't until the women folk came along that an addition was built, for the bedroom.

The bedroom, btw is 10 X 16.

ETA: and yes, yes I could live in something that sized. Assuming I parred down my belongings in a serious way!

I also have a little hunting shack out in my back 40, that is 9X9. Ive only spent time hunting, as it isn't really set up for overnighting... yet. But I will.
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 01-25-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added information

I'll most likely shit myself

I could for certain. There were a lot of familes that lived in the mountians here that had 4-8 kids in little buildings that size or slightly larger back in the 1800-early 1900's.

In his experience the hammer head is better

Easily without a doubt. One of my thoughts at my bol is to build a small cabin with little amenities to stay in during the hunting season. Obviously doubling as a home when the balloon goes up.

Sure I could. Not so sure that I would want to, though.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Fantastic subject.

I *think* I could do it but it would seriously force me to simplify....well.....everything.

Then again Trooper Dan lived in a pickup truck bed. That's some serious small space livin!
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

For the Love of Cats

lol! when I moved back to Canada, I had next to nothing. While I rented a place to live, I spent a couple years 'camping' and hunting out of the box on my Toyota (SR5, with a cap)! A tarp off the side for a place to sit, cook, move. and an airmatress from wheelwell to wheelwell. storage in the corners

Worked great, but to live??? kudos to TD!!!!

That would be tough!